Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 04:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2005, 20:24 

Hi all,

Nice to see a site devoted to helping out widescreen problems. I'm new to this.

I searched the forum for a solution to have zero hour run in 1680x1050. And followed it...

- I ran the game once.
- Changed the options.ini to 1680x1050
- and expected it to work.

But it doesn't work at all, in fact it loads up in 800x600 and i am only allowed to chose from 1024x768 and 800x600 in the in-game menu. It looks real bad. HELP!

Apple cinema 20"
6800GT
detonator 77.72

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2005, 18:56 

It does work what you do is change the options needed in the options menu in game then exit then change the .ini but DO NOT save any options from ingame once you have changed the .ini file other wise it will defualt back to it's standard mode and you will have to go back into the .ini file and change it again.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2005, 16:46 

That's just what i've done - and it doesn't work. The resolution is poor (looks like 800x600) and it is stretched!

Is that really the only solution to a great game! This sucks! Someone please help.

Post subject: Generals ZH Solution
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2006, 11:21 

Strange it worked for me. As long as i dont go into options after changing the ini its fine.

On another note you can get past the vert- cropping in widescreen by editing the "MaxCameraHeight" in the INIZH.big file using notepad or any text editor. Just increase that a bit and you can zoom out further making up for the cropping :D

Chances are that this would work on regular generals too but i havent checked.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2006, 17:19 

Paddy may want to post this as a seperate thread or update this thread. Also, any chance of permanently hosting my modified file?

C&C GENERALS ZERO HOUR - WIDESCREENED. :)

* RESOLUTION - Change it by editing OPTIONS.INI under your "my documentsCommand and Conquer Generals Zero Hour Data" folder as previously listed on this thread.

* FOV - follows on from what KOJiN said. If you are lazy, you can download my edited version from v1.04 (should work fine in 1.06 and 1.08 too). UNZIP the file GAMEDATA.INI to: "%your install path%Command & Conquer Generals Zero HourDataINI". If you want to return Generals back to normal, just delete gamedata.ini. Simple.

modding FOV yourself: for leet hax0rs
if you want to edit it yourself, google "FinalBig" and download it, open INIZH.BIG (located where you installed C&C Generals Zero Hour), extract GAMEDATA.INI, edit "MaxCameraHeight" from a default value of 310 to something higher, then save your modified gamedata.ini to "%your install path%Command & Conquer Generals Zero HourDataINI".

SCREENSHOTS
i've uploaded some screenshots to show you the difference in MaxCameraHeight.

1920x1200, MaxCameraHeight = 310 [default]

1920x1200, MaxCameraHeight = 410

1920x1200, MaxCameraHeight = 610

I love setting it to 610... looks sensational on my 24" screen. Here's a full-sized game screenshot to show you just how good it looks.

...the best bit, if you make this change, then go to a LAN party, don't tell them about this hack. ;) You can claim it's just the widescreen that's giving you the advantage. :lol:

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2006, 18:35 

Yep spot on neoWidescreen. Thats exactly how i did it ... prob should've said in a bit more detail, whoops :roll:. I'm running it on ver 1.08 and have no problems.

Just one thing to keep in mind is that this can cause a bit of a performance hit, as your showing a fair bit more on the screen, so dont get too carried away :D

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2006, 00:31 

KOJiN: Yeah, i know there's a slight performance hit... but i prefer watching my nukes in slow-mo. :P :lol: At MaxCameraHeight=610 I didn't notice any decernable lag on my 6800GT, with the exception of super-weapons. But then it's always lagged when you use nukes/scuds.

I haven't updated to 1.08... no need; the changelog says it adds compatibility for the complete C&C pack. Personally i'd go back to 1.03 for the legendary scud-hack if i could... works great at lan's. :wink:

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2006, 18:44 
Editors
Editors

Hello ...
I don't have these games and I would like to update the "Solution" C&C GENERALS ... please excuse my ignorance but ... is ZERO HOUR an add on for C&C for GENERALS ? ... and if so does this solution apply to both ?

Cheers ... :D

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2006, 19:57 
Editors
Editors

Zero Hour is the addon. :)

When it came out it appeared as if it broke widescreen support (like patch 1.4 for Dawn of War did...) so I never bothered to get it...

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2006, 19:59 

Hey Paddy, yes zero hour is an addon for generals, however it creates its own seperate install. So instead of editing the value in "inizh.big" (which is where "gamedata.ini" mentioned by neo comes from) you would edit the same field in "ini.big" in the generals root dir. I've just tested it and both fixes work on the original generals too :)

Looks like we have a working fix :D