Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 01:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 09:01 

looks like i posted this twice..

whoops

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2005, 09:07 

sweet you guys found a fix!

i rather not stretch the image since i like it to be mapped 1:1 pixels on my screen, but i guess it shouldnt look too bad

however i already beat the game (3 friggin days, i bought it the day it came out, that sunday i finished it in the afternoon), but once i get a nice big ass lcd tv ill definitely play it again in TRUE widescreen 8)

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2005, 12:32 
Editors
Editors

Hey guys...
I managed to get a copy of the US version ... (UK version isn't out fore a couple of months)
Unfortunately I haven't found a way to get FSAA to work ... :(
BUT I did find a way to change the FOV ... :) ... so now you can have your widescreen resolution with the correct FOV...

In the ... MyDefUser.ini ... bind the F4 key to your desired FOV ...
F4=FOV 90

FOV 90 seems a touch wider than the default but is about close enough for me ... you can set it to whatever is best for you.

Some screenshots ... all with Widescreen set to True to get rid of the black bars... I also brightened them up a bit to make it clearer to see.
Click the thumbnails to enlarge ... even when enlarged they are not at the full resolution.

Normal 4:3 without the FOV change ...

16:10 without the FOV change ... the top and bottom are chopped off a bit ...

16:10 with the FOV changed to 90 ...

Now that we have a solution to this would you guys like me to write up a clear "Solution" thread ?
I'm not trying to take any credit away from you it's just that a clear "how to" thread would save people from having to wade through this thread.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2005, 22:15 

are you kidding me? of course you can write a solution for the game
1) im too lazy
2) this thread is a mess
3) obviously i didnt figure out the right way to make it widescreen :lol:

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2005, 22:19 

Thanks for the screenshots ... they have made things a lot clearer ... although I have found it quite hard to get my head around what is going on.

but the aspect ratio should come out perfect when stretching the 4:3 Widescreen=True image to 16:10.
I think you are right.
I did a little playing around ... I think it proves what you think in that quote ...

I took your 800x600 shot for the Default 4x3 Widescreen=False in to Photoshop then I pasted the 4x3 Widescreen=True over the top.
I made the True one semi transparent and then squash it down at the top and bottom until the two guys lined up over each other as best I could.
This layer's size now being 800x500 ... what a coincidence ... 16:10 ... 1920x1200 !... :shock:

My brain hurts ... :D

I could be wrong ... but I think this means that those black bars in the original Default 4x3 Widescreen=False are hiding an image that has the correct FOV for a widescreen ... 16:10.

I think this is so that it looks and feels right when the black bars are on for those using a 4x3 screen.
and so ...
I think this means that the ... 4x3 Widescreen=True ... image does have the correct widescreen FOV with nothing chopped off top and bottom ... when stretched to 16:10 ... 8)

1600x1200 stretched to 1920x1200 is going to need that AA though ... :cry:

What a brain twister ... and very strange :?

Thanks again ... :)

this is why i was wondering if anyone could edit the .utx HUD files and possibly just delete the black bars

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2005, 14:21 

so there is still no-one that can tell me how we can enable AA in the game?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2005, 16:47 

yes we with widescreen are the elite*

the masses are a 4:3 peoples and manufactures build the games for them not us if we want widescreen we must mod or hack (in most cases)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2005, 18:46 
Editors
Editors

New "Solution" thread ... here ... 8)

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2005, 06:11 

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (also Unreal based) requires that HDR Rendering is turned off in order to get AA.

May be it is something like this ?

Current HDR rendering and anti-aliasing are mutually exclusive.