Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 03:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2005, 01:57 

First of all, thanks for a great community here. Whenever diving into a new "technical adventure" it's always nice to find a supportive community such as this. Great job!

I just received my new Dell 2405 today and I'm having a bit of a snag. My understanding is that the .ini setting changes for games using the UT engine would add to the width of the FOV. I've made the changes, but what I get is actually more of a "zoom" affect where it maintains the same width, but crops the vertical axis, in affect, providing less of a vertical image than the standard 4:3. I've confirmed this by loading the same map, placements, etc. on my son's 19" 4:3 display. Did I miss something, or do these settings no longer work the same way they used to in previous versions of UT engine games? The .ini settings I changed are:

in the [WinDrv.WindowsClient] section
FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1200

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Other than this, the monitor is great so far. After toning down the brightness and tweaking the colors, things are looking pretty darn good on both a PC and Mac connected to the display!

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2005, 11:54 
Editors
Editors

Hello...
I don't have the game so I can't try it ... but look in the user.ini (or similar) for the lines that begin with ...

DesiredFOV=
DefaultFOV=

and change the values to your desired FOV ... something like ...

DesiredFOV=100.000000
DefaultFOV=100.000000

As it is an online game these FOV changes might not work.
Anyway ... I hope this helps ... :D

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2005, 23:48 

Thanks for the info, but no joy. AA doesn't seem to respond at all to DesiredFOV settings. Anyone else run into this? As is, it's more of a "zoom & crop" fix. :cry:

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2005, 22:02 
Editors
Editors

You could also try binding a key in the user.ini ... for example ...

F5=FOV 100

Set the value whatever FOV you prefer.
It works for other Unreal based games ...

Good luck ... :D ... let us know if it works.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2006, 23:23 

It seems that all other FOV changing Unreal tricks does not works for AA, unfortunately.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2006, 11:28 

ah crap, i just found this thread now after posting this in another thread:

Hi, I'm new here, but I used your site as a resource before getting a Dell 2405. So far it rocks. :) Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

You have listed in Master Game List that America's Army support Widescreen by modding the .INI because it's an UT2004-based game. this information isn't entirely accurate.

Unfortunately America's Army does NOT support true widescreen. Like more FPS games that would give widescreen owners an advantage with a great FOV. Modifying the FOV settings in "USER.INI" does nothing, as the game doesn't recognize such changes (i tried everything myself just to be sure :) ).

The file ARMYOPS.INI has the WindowedViewport & FullscreenViewport settings. However, AA v2.5 automatically recognized 1920x1200 and 1650x1080, so there's no real reason to 'hack' the INI.

Fortunately widescreen is very playable in AA. :D It takes a 4:3 image and clips the top and bottom... so you see about ~13% less than a normal monitor but it looks 130% more seeeeeexy. :lol:

If you can be bothered, it may be worth updating the Master Game List as this is still a current game with lots of players. Great website too!

You are correct, modifying FOV doesn't effect the game. Fortunately Punkbuster doesn't seem to care either. ;)

Edited by Paddywak ... I moved your other post in to this one ... it pays to search around ... :wink: ... but thanks for your input ... :D