Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 04:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 10:27 
Editors
Editors

Is it just the tech demo or a playable sample of the game ?

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 10:32 
Insiders
Insiders

proper demo

PostPosted: 01 May 2009, 11:54 
Insiders
Insiders

Odd game, it would be just that much better if the walking speed was just a wee bit faster. But that is probably something I'd get used to. Interesting premise and very atmospheric. Combat was hard with the frames dropping but I think it is supposed to be tough, gun load times slow.
Frame rates are crap... dropping often for me (everything maxed) but only 1920x1200 res. Also looks pretty poor, compared to the vista tech demo!

Still it would be a game I would play if the frame rate drops went, it was hor+ (blehh feel sick after playing 1/2 hour) and I had DX10... maybe I'll wait until Win7. Hopefully it'll be HOR+, patched and cheaper ;)

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 05:36 

Bleh, I totally didn't research that before posting. Anyway, Hor+ is possible now, see here for new developments: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15828

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 06:09 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Bleh, I totally didn't research that before posting. Anyway, Hor+ is possible now, see here for new developments: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/10369]Wrong game, mate.... you got me all excited for nothing! ;)

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 06:19 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Bleh, I totally didn't research that before posting. Anyway, Hor+ is possible now, see here for new developments: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/10369]
.... Please fix your post. I got really excited when I saw it, only to find out that you linked to the Necrovision DR.
G :x :x :x amn cocktease.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009, 11:04 
Editors
Editors

:lol:

In other news, there's now a patch with new features for 'high-end nvidia cards' : new PhysX effects and a new weapon, loads of debris at last, yay ! :D
The game is still hopelessly 'narrow' though ;) except for these cosmetic changes :

o FOV is optimized on 13th level. [sigh]
o HUD display is corrected (weapons, ammo, diving suit) for every resolution [that's a start...]

PhysX Patch 1.1 is a 190 MB download.
http://www.1cpublishing.eu/news/cryostasis-nvidia-physx-performance-patch-available

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 09:35 

Holy old bump batman!

Did anyone ever stumble across a better fix for this one? I'm trying to pick it back up and I'd love to play it in my eyefinity native res. (hell I'd take 16:10 for my center monitor without vert-)

This game in surround screens would be crrrrraaaazzzyyyy.... :shock:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 14:49 

:lol:

In other news, there's now a patch with new features for 'high-end nvidia cards' : new PhysX effects and a new weapon, loads of debris at last, yay ! :D
The game is still hopelessly 'narrow' though ;) except for these cosmetic changes :

o FOV is optimized on 13th level. [sigh]
o HUD display is corrected (weapons, ammo, diving suit) for every resolution [that's a start...]

PhysX Patch 1.1 is a 190 MB download.
http://www.1cpublishing.eu/news/cryostasis-nvidia-physx-performance-patch-available

Does this patch work for changing the weapon and hud elements to their correct 4:3 proportions? I haven't been able to find screenshots which show this, and the patch cannot be applied to the demo.

Post subject: ATI Eyefinity + PhysX
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 09:19 

This is simply one of the best horror games ever made.

The atmosphere has been mentioned over-and-over again in other reviews, but there is something more.

This game (from a computer science and engineering perspective) is brilliant; from the advanced Physx water and ice effects, to the wonderfully relevant level design … simply brilliant.

But!!!

It requires know-how to get it working properly: -

1) It has also been mentioned that this game requires NVidia, which is only partially true. The game works perfectly fine on ATI, but obviously without Physx. There was a problem on the “pre-patched” version with shader model 4.0 for ATI, but this is now a thing of the past.

2) Anyone that is computer savvy can run a system in Hybrid mode with an ATI as primary video, and an NVidia as physx. Look up – “ngohq hybrid 1.05ff”.

3) ATI Eyefinity is also AOK, however it is a bit mental. Selecting the proper resolution (eg. 5040x1050) from the games menu will run the game at the correct resolution, but will produce the incorrect FOV. This CANNOT be fixed via registry /ini’s etc…… The only solution (I’ve found) is to set the resolution equivalent to a single screen (eg. 1680 x 1050), then, in game, ALT-TAB to desktop, then switch back to game ……. BAM, FOV fixed. Admittedly the resolution is lower than desired, but it’s “the best she’ll run captin’” for 3 up ATI.

4) Now …. This fair bit of trial and error paid off for me. To improve Physx performance, I’ve found the best combo of Physx dll’s to use. Do this by replacing these 2 files in “…Cryostasis” game directory: -

a. NxCharacter.dll – with 2.7.3.4. This may not be required as I noticed only slight performance improvements, but why not hey? (The one from Unreal Tournament III is perfect).

b. NxCooking.dll – with 2.8.1.52 (or later I imagine, and I'm not sure how much earlier). This really seems to help with smoothing out frame drops and the infamous chug-chug-chug-memory-tripping-over-process-sync issue that I’ve spotted with the main .exe. (BTW – Renaming a PhysxCooking.dll works fine if you can't find an Nx.)

5) If after doing all / any / none of the above you still notice "frame popping", go into the game menu, turn off advanced physx, go back to game, ALT-TAB again to re-fix FOV (which resets when leaving the menu), go back to menu, re-enable advanced Physx, go back to game, ALT-TAB again ..... then all should be smooth.

Seems like all the little loose ends were not tidied up by the dev team, especially the FOV calc from menu leaving - which only seems to calc properly after task switching. Probably easy to fix ..... oh' if we had the source!! But hey, the code is probably a masterpiece of complexity, with a few small caveats.

Hope this helps the community.

Regards,
Badman.