Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 11:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2009, 01:48 

Here is a work in progress patch, that may lead to cool stuff for other games.

Basically this is an AutoHotkey script that takes a game running in a window and makes it fit the desktop and removes the border.

Install AutoHotkey from: http://www.autohotkey.com/

First make the game run in a window by opening the A Vampyre Storygameassetsscripts folder.
Open 14793.bin file using the Windows Notepad.
Go to: and replace True with False so it looks like:
Save the file.

Now after installing AutoHotkey, go to the A Vampyre Storygame folder. Right click and select New - AutoHotkey Script. Rename the file to full.ahk or something similar. Right click this file and select Edit Script. Replace all text with the code below.

Code:
SetTitleMatchMode, 3
   Run, main.exe
   WinWaitActive, A Vampyre Story, , 60
   WinSet, Style, -0xC00000, A Vampyre Story
   WinMaximize, A Vampyre Story

To run the game, just double-click on the full.ahk file. You can also right-click and select Compile Script to convert the script into an EXE file that can be run on a computer without AutoHotkey installed.

You can also just download the script and compiled EXE file from here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/257029754/avs-full.zip

This is a WIP, when I get a chance I will try to make an option to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio. And also explain how to apply this to other games.

There does seem to be a 1 pixel glitch on the left/top edges that I will look into when I get a chance. The glitch may actually be part of the game that I could not see on my overscanned TV. Like I say, it's a WIP.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2009, 02:06 
Founder
Founder

I've seen this at Target, and it got decent reviews. How does it perform in WS?

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2009, 04:10 

I've seen this at Target, and it got decent reviews. How does it perform in WS?

This patch just allows you to play the game in a resolution other then the fixed mode of 800x600. They say the game is 1024x768 on their site/forums, but a screenshot is 800x600. The patch stretches the game to fit your desktop. So if your desktop is TripleHead then everyone will be short and fat. :wink:

Basically it just allows you to play at a higher resolution and one that matches your monitor. For me, 800x600 overscans on my TV so I don't see everything. My desktop is 1176x664 which fits on the screen. With this patch, I can now see all the game. Others can use it to play at 1920x1080.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2009, 10:46 
Editors
Editors

Would this process work for any game? It seems very handy.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2009, 13:42 

Would this process work for any game? It seems very handy.

The idea just popped into my head yesterday so I have not played with it much. The 3 games I tried made this method look very promising.

Some games will just stretch to fit the screen not keeping the aspect ratio. Such as A Vampyre Story and Dracula Twins. Actually I worked out how to patch Dracula Twins directly now.

Other games seem to add some Hor+ like World of Goo at 1920x1080. It has a few small graphic glitches in doing so, but seems quite playable. (edit) Actually there seems to be a better fix for WOG already. But you get the idea.

If the game is playable in a resizeable window, this method should work. If the window is not resizeable, but the graphics will resize with resize enable, then this method should work. Resize Enable shouldn't be needed for the patch. It just allows you to test if resizing works.

I want to add a feature to black out the background and allow you to specify the aspect ratio to force the fake fullscreen to. In the meantime you can play with the script and change:
Run, main.exe to Run, your_game_here.exe
And change all instances of "A Vampyre Story" to "The name of the title bar of the game you want to run."

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 19:42 

Sorry for the bump, but has anyone found a better solution to resize this game? NVidia scaling doesn't seem to work at all, I always end up with a 1024x768 image within a native-res black border all around, even with fixed aspect ratio scaling enabled.

The closest I've come to getting an aspect-correct scaled image is using windowed mode (via modified script) in a maximized window, but I'd rather get rid of the title bar and borders too.