Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Sep 2024, 09:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 02:56 

This is all just done in config files but I thought it was worth posting anyway :D

Unlock the framerate

Navigate to "TERAClientS1GameConfig"

open up the file "S1Engine.ini", and change

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE

to

bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE

and save

-----

Fix the FOV

Navigate to "TERAClientS1GameConfig"

open up the file "S1Input.ini"

underneath the line "bEnableMouseSmoothing=true" (you may want to change that to false while you're in there :D ) add the line

Bindings=(Name="x",Command="fov 100")

(make sure there is no ; at the start of the line like there are with the lines underneath it.

and save

When you're in game, pressing x will change the fov to your desired value.

-----

Here's a video showing the difference between the default fov of 60 and 100

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4-CnTvRe_U

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 07:10 
Editors
Editors

tzzz i hate MMOG's. Switching from FOV60 to 100 just changes the camera distance! Could get the exact same result just with scrolling mous button.

but thanks for sharing. might come in handy sometime.

Post subject: Haldi wrote:tzzz i hate
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 13:02 

tzzz i hate MMOG's. Switching from FOV60 to 100 just changes the camera distance! Could get the exact same result just with scrolling mous button.

but thanks for sharing. might come in handy sometime.

No, FOV and camera zoom, whilst proportional, are two completely different things. Thanks for your contribution though.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 14:48 
Editors
Editors

okay... you're the pro not me ;) But how comes that the distance from the camera to the character get changed by just changing FOV ? shouldn't it just *shrink* the image in the horizontal axis ?

Post subject: Hehe, I'm no pro It's
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 15:46 

Hehe, I'm no pro :D
It's proportional, widening your field of view also has the effect of making things appear further away.
You could do what you're talking about, pack more horizontally into the screen whilst maintaining the same aspect ratio but that would look really weird, it'd make everything look really elongated and abnormal, would probably make you feel uncomfortable and totally defeat the purpose of the fix.

All I know is that I was having to zoom the camera right out in order to feel comfortable in this game, it was bearable but not ideal as my character was a little speck and I couldn't see shit so this is the solution, widen the field of view, then you can feel totally comfortable, even when zoom in, and also see what's going on around you.

Post subject: This is by far the best
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 15:53 
Administrators
Administrators

This is by far the best explanation of FoV I've seen:

Although personally in TERA I think the FoV is fine, but its nice to know that people can change it if they want to.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 22:53 
Editors
Editors

nice video. But that's not what i was talking about, clippa, could yo do me a favour and create 2 screenshots to compare ? one with FoV 100, and then switch back to 60, Zoom out till camera is away the same distance and take 2nd screenshot.

Tried to log into Tera but told me my account is invalid ^^ Sneak preview over.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 23:22 
Administrators
Administrators

nice video. But that's not what i was talking about, clippa, could yo do me a favour and create 2 screenshots to compare ? one with FoV 100, and then switch back to 60, Zoom out till camera is away the same distance and take 2nd screenshot.

Tried to log into Tera but told me my account is invalid ^^ Sneak preview over.

You sure you watched the second video, because it explicitly states why increasing the FoV can give the perception of the camera being moved back when infact the camera is in the same position its just a large angle of the view is being squashed onto the display area.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2012, 23:42 
Editors
Editors

..... You sure you watched the second video, because it explicitly states why increasing the FoV can give the perception of the camera being moved back when infact the camera is in the same position its just a large angle of the view is being squashed onto the display area.

So.... what happened in the Video... DID the distance from the camera to the back of the character change ? i think it did. Thats why i would like to see a Screenshot.
If you have two screenshots then you can compare. But looking at the video i'm not 100% sure!

The one thing that's confusing here is that it's not a simple Hor+ FoV change, but also influences Vertical.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 00:06 

OK, I took some screenshots, trying to keep the character in the middle as a point of reference so you can see the difference :D

fov 60
fov 100

Bear in mind that looking at small still images like that, you're naturally going to prefer the default flat field of view. This is just to show Haldi the difference.