Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 21:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: X-Men Legend II
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2006, 01:59 
Founder
Founder

I finally got around to testing this one out, about a month and a half-ago. Unfortunately it really didn't grab me, but to those who like the game - enjoy the widescreen action! :)

Post subject: WHAT ABOUT THE VIDEOS?
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2006, 20:57 

OK... it has native widescreen support... and the game ran fine on 1440x900... but the videos do not appear on the entire screen.. I get black bars on the sides AND on top and bottom... so the videos get small on the center of the screen... does anybody knows how to fix this???

Thanks

Daniel

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2006, 21:43 
Founder
Founder

no. sounds like Windowboxing, a known side-effect of some widescreen games.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2006, 21:11 
Founder
Founder

I got the game and played through the "tutorial level" (three times to get 1600x1200, 1920x1080 and 1900x1200 shots).

The only thing that is windowboxed is the intro FMV movie. The rest of the in-game movies are Hor+. The ones "in mission" are Hor+ and fill the screen. The mission briefing movie is Hor +, but it is still letterboxed. The movie in 4:3 resolution is letterboxed to 16:10/9. The widescreen ones are letterboxed but continue to increase the FOV. Seems like the FOV would be approaching the surround levels of 3.75:1, or so.

In my mind, this game will be Certified. The in-game movies are done in the game engine and continue to be Hor+. The other option would have been anamorphic (removing the bars).

Post subject: SOME COMMENTS!
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2006, 22:06 

The only thing that is windowboxed is the intro FMV movie.

Right! The Actvision, Raven, Marvel and all intro movies are 4:3. I can see black bars only at the SIDES of the screen. And on the MARVEL intro movie, there are black bars at the sides AND top and bottom too.

Can you confirm?

The rest of the in-game movies are Hor+.

I disagree. As I have finished the game using my old 4:3 monitor, when I enter CINEMATICS option menu, and select any movie, it appears with black bars in all 4 sides of my monitor (it is a 16:10 one). I don't get full screen 16:10 movie :(

Did you do anything special to get full widescreen cinematics?

The ones "in mission" are Hor+ and fill the screen. The mission briefing movie is Hor +, but it is still letterboxed.

Agreed!

The movie in 4:3 resolution is letterboxed to 16:10/9. The widescreen ones are letterboxed but continue to increase the FOV. Seems like the FOV would be approaching the surround levels of 3.75:1, or so.

These parts I didn't get... what movies are you talking about?!

Conclusions I can tell you:

Intro movies: 4:3 with black bars at the sides
In game cinematics: black bars at the sides, top and bottom of the screen :cry: . These should be FULL WIDESCREEN, but I don't know why they aren't.
Mission movies: letterboxed Hor+
The game itself: Hor+

Post subject: Re: SOME COMMENTS!
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2006, 03:01 
Founder
Founder

[quote]The only thing that is windowboxed is the intro FMV movie.

Right! The Actvision, Raven, Marvel and all intro movies are 4:3. I can see black bars only at the SIDES of the screen. And on the MARVEL intro movie, there are black bars at the sides AND top and bottom too.

Can you confirm?
Correct, but I don't count these. These are "standard" across all their titles, and IMHO aren't really part of the "game."

[quote]The rest of the in-game movies are Hor+.

I disagree. As I have finished the game using my old 4:3 monitor, when I enter CINEMATICS option menu, and select any movie, it appears with black bars in all 4 sides of my monitor (it is a 16:10 one). I don't get full screen 16:10 movie :(

Did you do anything special to get full widescreen cinematics?
Maybe I didn't get far enough in the game, but every "in game" scene I found that went off during a mission used the game engine and was Hor+. These usually have dialogue options. I have a screen.

Is what you're talking about more pre-rendered FMVs?

[quote]The ones "in mission" are Hor+ and fill the screen. The mission briefing movie is Hor +, but it is still letterboxed.

Agreed!

The movie in 4:3 resolution is letterboxed to 16:10/9. The widescreen ones are letterboxed but continue to increase the FOV. Seems like the FOV would be approaching the surround levels of 3.75:1, or so.

These parts I didn't get... what movies are you talking about?!

I was talking about the mission briefings.

Conclusions I can tell you:

Intro movies: 4:3 with black bars at the sides
In game cinematics: black bars at the sides, top and bottom of the screen :cry: . These should be FULL WIDESCREEN, but I don't know why they aren't.
Mission movies: letterboxed Hor+
The game itself: Hor+

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2006, 03:31 

Dear friend,

Sorry about my ignorance, but I'm new on widescreen monitors and games. I received my widescreen monitor less than a week ago. :oops: If these are english terms, I'm not used to it also, 'cause my native language is portuguese :D

I'm not used to some terms like: IMHO and FMVs. Could you please, explain me what are these?

The movies I am talking about (that have black bars at ALL SIDES of the monitor), are those NOT RENDERED. They are just like a real movie and Apocalypse appears in some of them...

Sorry, but I thought you got to the end of the game. :-)

If you want to, I can send you my saved game by MSN or e-mail!

Thank you very much!

Daniel

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2006, 04:50 
Founder
Founder

No problem...
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.
FMV=Full Motion Video. If the videos you are talking about are like the opening one, where Magneto comes in and rips the doors off the base, then that is FMV. With more of them in the movie, that will degrade the score. When I post my Detailed Report, I will have screen shots to show the difference.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2006, 04:53 

Ibrin,

Thanks a lot!!!

That's exactly what I was taling about! These FMVs... there are others among the game... what a pitty they don't appear fully widescreen : :cry:

I will wait for your detailed report. But this game is awsome!!! Another very good game like this is Lord of the rings: Return of the king. But it's from EA :? (that is not so good)... I openned another topic to discuss this other game :-)

See ya!

Daniel