Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 02:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Can you pillarbox?
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 04:08 

cuthroat, I'm not really experienced at tweaking color profiles for DVD viewing. There's a handy guide to tweaking color profiles at TweakGuides and perhaps a bit of googling might uncover some information about what changes to make to suit your display for DVD viewing, of the onscreen display of your own monitor doesn't provide enough range. My own Acer widescreen monitor has pretty good settings available at a button press for text, graphics and movies.

I'd like to report that the 'guide' I posted above for setting flat Panel Scaling within the nVidia Control Panel doesn't yet work for Windows Vista. The most recent Vista-suitable drivers don't provide the necessary settings, so Pillar-boxing in vista isn't really achievable until we get a driver revision which allows the feature to be used.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2007, 05:09 

1) Sapphire x1800xt
2) 6.14
3) Yes "use centered timings"

I just got a widescreen monitor and I found out many of my favourite games are not supporting WS, so I would prefer to have black bars around then having a stretched image, but I can't make it happen... I have a radeon 9800 PRO graphic card, and I just installed the latest omega drivers, but my CCC (catalyst control center) still doesn't look like this one, or the one at http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gaming_with_Blackbars_%28Pillarboxing%29
It looks like this:

Where's the catch? What am I missing?
Can you guys help me get this function, or maybe there's another method to enable pillarboxing?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2007, 05:13 

You are using an analog connection while the centered timings option is only avalable for digital outputs.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2007, 21:12 

I see :)
Thanks a lot, I was really confused.
So if I get a digital cable, will the option be there?
As you can see, I have an AG neovo K-A19 on RADEON 9800 PRO, are these 2 devices able to get a digital connection going between them, or is there no way I can get pillarboxing working?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007, 00:06 

Nevermind, I just figured out that the monitor doesn't have a digital input, so that's pretty lame. I am very disappointed in it and may even return it to the store if they will give me a refund.

The other option would be (and this may not be the proper place to ask this) to use my old crt monitor for the things that do not work on this lcd, or have them both connected at the same time. But I don't know if it is possible to connect a crt and an lcd on the same graphic card? It has an analog and digital output, so I guess with a converter of some sort it is possible, or am I wrong? What results would that bring? Same image on both monitors at all times (unless one is turned off)?

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007, 01:51 
Insiders
Insiders

I am very disappointed in it and may even return it to the store if they will give me a refund.

I would recommend that. An LCD without a digital input isn't worth keeping.

it is possible to connect a crt and an lcd on the same graphic card?

Yes, it is.

It has an analog and digital output, so I guess with a converter of some sort it is possible, or am I wrong?

Actually, if you had an LCD with digital-in, you could have the LCD on digital and the CRT on analog. Otherwise, you would need a DVI to VGA converter, and then you'd have two analog-outs, one for each monitor.

What results would that bring? Same image on both monitors at all times (unless one is turned off)?

I don't know what options your graphics card has, but on mine, you can do that, or you can have a wide image span the horizontal lengths of both monitors, or a tall image span the vertical lengths of both monitors, or have two separate desktops, one for each monitor, with the capability to display different things on each monitor, and you can drag windows from one monitor to the other. I use the latter option.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007, 02:29 

I would recommend that. An LCD without a digital input isn't worth keeping.

Yea, its probably going back on monday, hope they don't give me a hard time.

Actually, if you had an LCD with digital-in, you could have the LCD on digital and the CRT on analog. Otherwise, you would need a DVI to VGA converter, and then you'd have two analog-outs, one for each monitor.

I think this seems to be my best option, if I keep it.

I don't know what options your graphics card has, but on mine, you can do that, or you can have a wide image span the horizontal lengths of both monitors, or a tall image span the vertical lengths of both monitors, or have two separate desktops, one for each monitor, with the capability to display different things on each monitor, and you can drag windows from one monitor to the other. I use the latter option.

That sounds great (well a tall image span might be kinda awkward :)), the thing is, I don't have nearly enough room on my desk to have them perfectly aligned, probably hardly enough room to even put them both on it :/
Can I check these options while I have only one monitor connected? Will they be shown in CCC? Or where should I look?
Sorry for the noob questions, but I am a noob at this afterall :)

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007, 16:26 

btw wouldnt the fact that the crt is 4:3 and the lcd is 16:10 cause problems when using them at the same time?

and if I understand this correctly, there is no way to get pillarboxing without digital-in?

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 00:33 

1) BFG 6600GT
2) 93.81
3) No, never worked. None of the nVIDIA scaling options provide a readable display, and do not scale is also broken. Also seems to set the resolution during these modes to 1600x1200 although it recognizes that the monitor's native is 1680x1050.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 05:19 
Editors
Editors

Evga 7800GTX

Works fine for me, check my user review of the 37" Westinghouse LCD to see screenshots and all the info on my forceware I use.

I didnt change anything to get it to work, seems to be the default on mine.

I belive that some people may have the video card sending out 4:3 but have there display device streching it to 16:9 16:10 and not even know it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next