Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 07:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: FOV too narrow
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2007, 00:00 

I tell you what I noticed. things on the "sides" are stretched. I was looking at an engineer's face while center position and it looked fine. But as I turned to the left and his face was now at my right, the face got dramatically stretched out.

Actually, you can relax. That is completely normal and it happens in every first-person game. The reason it happens is because monitors are flat, but the way your eyes see "the world" isn't. If you could be inside a large sphere where the entire inside surface was one monitor, that would be the only way to not get the stretching out effect.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2007, 00:06 

It's currently locked at 75, the same as HL2 when it was first released (sv_cheats 1 unlocks but not for online). Main issue I suppose is the sea sick thing that comes to some people using that FOV, it is much harder to look at for long periods of time.

Fill out a bug report in the game, maybe they'll unlock it.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2007, 01:42 

Seems fine to me. It's only 75° at 4:3 and is increased appropriately for widescreens. I guess that's still a smaller starting point than other shooters, but I don't think it's too small, it doesn't seem unnatural by any means. Probably you're just too used to playing CS:S.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2007, 04:24 

From those screen shots it looks too tight for my liking. UT is 90. at 4:3.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 03:09 
Insiders
Insiders

Guys remember that this is beta. As far as I know Valve pays attention to their fan base a lot. Send them a courteous email or post sensibly on the steam forums. Somebody is bound to listen and at least consider implementing the standard Source Engine FOV, (if they aren't planning it like that already that is).

Heck, for all we know they could also be watching this forum. After all this would be the place to go for specific feedback on this sort of thing! :D

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 06:14 
Insiders
Insiders

:?:

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 10:03 

I just think that as long as the game stays Hor+, then the FOV is entirely up to the developer. It's their game and if they want it to be at 75, then let it be. They chose it for a reason.

I strongly disagree with that. If the FOV was 65 or even 45 you sir probably wouldn't play it. Why? Perhaps it would be unbearable or uncomfortable for you. Perhaps it makes you sick as the human motion and visual senses are significantly confused enought to induce motionn sickness or epelepsy.

From what I understand of your suggestion, if 45 was the FOV then those who don't like it shouldn't play the game right? I say no to that too.

What if someone really wants to play the game but can't because of the FOV? What if they want to buy it and play it with a more suitable FOV? Shouldn't we be permitted to voice our concerns and ideas? Or should we all "Shutup and Put up" dictacted by the forum regimes and game developers?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 11:40 

I don't know. Perhaps more people should follow what I do, vote with your money.
For example, I wanted to buy Bioshock, with the fan patch I would be able to play without feeling bad (throwing up bad), but I am not going to.

If more people would do the same, since more and more people are owners of widescreen monitors, then developers would get the message. I believe that it is not developers we should try to "educate" but, owners of widescreen monitors/TVs.

Also, though I understand that the owners of this forum/site might not want to, or can, say something like this for a variety of reasons, but the rest of us should.

But, it is not going to happen. Some developers will continue to screw WS owners for at least a few more years, till them too are forced to switch to WS LCD/TFT monitors.

Till then, lets support those that do make games that support us as gamers and as customers.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 12:08 

I don't know. Perhaps more people should follow what I do, vote with your money.
For example, I wanted to buy Bioshock, with the fan patch I would be able to play without feeling bad (throwing up bad), but I am not going to.

If more people would do the same, since more and more people are owners of widescreen monitors, then developers would get the message. I believe that it is not developers we should try to "educate" but, owners of widescreen monitors/TVs.

Also, though I understand that the owners of this forum/site might not want to, or can, say something like this for a variety of reasons, but the rest of us should.

But, it is not going to happen. Some developers will continue to screw WS owners for at least a few more years, till them too are forced to switch to WS LCD/TFT monitors.

Till then, lets support those that do make games that support us as gamers and as customers.

Your right in voting with your wallet. The only spoiler to that is, unless everyone cooperates in a critical mass then it won't work. Since purchasing product cannot be done en'masse, then I can't see it as being effective. I feel that it is important, but what I also fee is more effective is the collective voice which gets displayed on forums, and developers websites. That you CAN see in force, and can judge the reasons.

Secondary to that is voting with the dollar which is probably hard to measure why people were not buying it unless they were vocal about it. Still even if people were vocal about it, there is no reason for the developer to trust the vocal people didn't buy it.

In summary, voting with waller without the collectiev voice is useless.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2007, 12:30 
Insiders
Insiders

:?:

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next