Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 12:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Unreal Tournament 3 Beta
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 05:10 

Anyone tried changing the line "FOVAngle=90.000000" yet that’s within "UTEngine.ini" located:

Vista
"X:UsersUserNameDocumentsmy gamesUnreal Tournament 3 DemoUTGameConfig"

Xp (guessing)
"X:Documents and SettingsUserNameMy Documentsmy gamesUnreal Tournament 3 DemoUTGameConfig"

Just to see first if it works then second if it overwrites or not, there is also a reference to default fov for online play within the "UTGame.ini" in the same folder, I would presume that’s the one that would mess up though if it’s a server controlled option to adjust FOV.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 05:18 

heh some one post this over on epics forums

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 07:05 

It truly is a sad day for PC gamers when such a classic that is UT has turned into such pathetic console leftovers.

The lack of effort by Epic put in to this supposed AAA PC game is appalling.

Now we know why all those threads on Epics site were deleted. Lame.

Edit: I see a large discussion is already underway on the widescreen issue.
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=578675

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 08:48 
Editors
Editors

Badmagic ... that "FOVAngle=90.000000" is for the Editor Engine.
the only way to change it is as described above and that isn't good enough as it won't go over 100 and it resets when you die.

At 100 the FOV it isn't good enough for anything over 16:10 ... so ... 16:9 and TripleHead users are out of luck.

How long have I been saying this about this UTIII engine ?
Every UT III title to date has had a widescreen related problem.

:lol: ... and 2K (Bioshock) said it was a design decision ... :lol: ... you have to laugh at the PR nonsense.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 13:19 

I tried changing the FOV through console commands and I found that it is locked to values ranging between 80 and 100. (Haven't tried the .ini file myself, but I'm not holding my breath for it.)

Personally I like an FOV of 108 for 16:10 and 120 for 16:9, so I hope a solution will be found that will work online.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 14:11 

Design decision my ass. That was a pretty ridiculous claim from 2K. Someone said in the widescreen support thread at the Epic forums that Windows Vista and a DX10 capable card are needed to enable AA. Is this true? Since when has AA been a DX10-only feature? :roll:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 17:25 

Design decision my ass. That was a pretty ridiculous claim from 2K. Someone said in the widescreen support thread at the Epic forums that Windows Vista and a DX10 capable card are needed to enable AA. Is this true? Since when has AA been a DX10-only feature? :roll:

Seems that you don't know the rendering method UE3 uses. UE3 uses Deferred Lighting, which means it's almost impossible to have AA running at the same time because of the way the lighting works.

See here for more details: http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/19/

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 18:14 

In this day and age it is an insult to gamers everywhere to create a game without AA. The hardware has the ressources for it, that you change the lighting for whatever reason is fine, that you sacrifice AA or anything else over it isn't. You can't use the standard AA that's been used for years with your 'revolutionnary new engine'? fine, but you'll have to pick up the slack and find an AA replacement made by you to compensate. Aliasing is no longer to be tolerated.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2007, 02:28 

Seems that you don't know the rendering method UE3 uses. UE3 uses Deferred Lighting, which means it's almost impossible to have AA running at the same time because of the way the lighting works.

See here for more details: http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/19/

Yeah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the link. Still, I must agree with what Mesh said. AA ftw.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2007, 02:48 
Insiders
Insiders

Pfffft.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next