Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Jun 2024, 06:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Squ1zZy - Some Knowledge
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 00:56 

go rest, that's some great work man, just a bit of info though, I've messed a bit with that sort of thing and I've encountered some games that for whatever reason store values in the opposite order, like 0280 and 01e1,

Had to since Uniwis for some reason stopped working, so i backtracked the changes and made my own modified exe's for nfsmw.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 02:00 
Insiders
Insiders

:?:

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 02:41 

How about a link to a freeware wildcard-search-enabled HEX editor?

That would be useful.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 04:01 

i've been using xvi32, http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/freeware/xvi32/xvi32.htm , don't remember off hand if it has wildcards but works quite well for me so far.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 10:47 
Insiders
Insiders

If anyone needs any tips or pointers, post here as well. I'm not going to release my source, but I'll give as much help as I can to people who are willing to learn and figure it out.

I had no doubt you wouldn't. That would be great Dope. Thanks Alot!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 11:18 
Insiders
Insiders

I've changed the tutorial from UltraEdit to XVI32 since XVI32 it freeware and you will have to pay for UlraEdit.

Thanks to Mesh!

Mesh: There's a comma at the end of your link. Remove it to make it work ;)

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 11:48 
Insiders
Insiders

For those who doesn't know any programming language, here's a tutorial to do it using Delphi. You don't have to have ANY knowledge of Delphi if you want to make your own patch if you follow this tutorial. It's very simple.

Install Delphi 7 with all the default settings. Once installed open Delphi:

The background for me is blue as for you it's white. I've changed it since I don't like the white background. Ignore it :)

Download the source for Pro Street above and open up the file Project1.dpr ( in the main menu use File / Open ):

In the Unit1 scroll down where it says:

Position01 := $561a90;
Position02 := $561a91;
Position03 := $561a94;
Position04 := $561a95;

Here's a screenshot:

Those are the positions the resolution is in the file. So when I changed the resolution of 640x480 in the above tutorial i've changed 8002 to 000A and E001 to 4006. Where 80 is the first position, 02 would be the second position, 40 would be the third position and 06 woud be the fourth position. Get it?

Change those positions to whatever position you managed to find using your favorite editor. Next is to change the executables name you want to edit. This could be easilly done using find and replace. Hit control+R and you will see the replace text window:

We want to replace the executable that had to be changed with Need For Speed Pro Street ( filename nfs.exe ) to whatever you want to patch right now. Let's say the file we want to edit is WhatEver.exe. So enter the following to the replace text window:

If you want to edit a file that doesn't end with the .exe extension you need to fill in the whole filename ( including the extension ). If there's a .exe you want to change, just leave it at what it is.

Hit the replace all button. When it asks to Replace this occurrence of 'nfs'? Just hit the All button and your done.

Hit F9 to run the application and it will build an executable in the same folder the source is in. Voila, you got a patch :)

Important: Once you made a working patch, PLEASE share it!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 12:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Here's a quick tutorial to find the Field Of View in a game. This is not the best way to fix the FOV, but it's HARD to do it the "right" way. Dope is MUCH better finding those damn values as I do. Maybe Dope could help me out a bit on this tutorial.

Here's a start:

Download MHS ( best memory hacker out there! ):

http://www.memoryhacking.com/

Open MHS ( Don't you just love it allready? ;) ):

Run the game you want to find the FOV for. I use UT2004 since that's the only game installed at the moment :D

Once your in game search for the value 90 of the type float using MHS. The default value for FPS games is most of the times 90. So that's why we search for 90. If you don't know what the value is ( for example to change the position of the gun ) it would be a time consuming progress :D

First we need to open the process so MHS know's where to search. In MHS hit the Control+P buttons to open up the open process window. Select the process you want to look for and hit the ok button.

Once back in MHS hit the Control+Shift+S buttons to open up the Data-Type Search window:

We need to search for the value 90 of the type float. So we fill in:

And hit the ok button. It will search for the range you filled in the search window for the value of 90 of the type float. It will come up with 1 to 10000000000 values. I doubt it will find only 1 value tho ;)

Let's say it comes up with 3000 results. Wich one we need? Well, we need to narrow down the search. We do this by zooming using a weapon so the FOV decreases and then search for values that are decreased. So we get back in game and get a weapon that can zoom in. Once zoomed in get back to MHS and do a sub-search. Open up the sub-search window by hitting the CTRL+Shift+D buttons. Select the search type of decreased and hit the ok button.

So it will look for the 3000 results you got for any value that has been decreased. For me it comes back with 2 results, but it can be that you will have to do this ALOT of times. What you need to do is the following:

Get a weapon but don't zoom in. Search for the value of 90 ( default ). Zoom in using a weapon and do a sub-search for decreaed. Zoom back out and subsearch for 90. Zoom in and sub-search for decreased as much as you get 1 to 10 results or so.

Now it's time to find what value holds the FOV we can change. This is done by trail and error :)

For me it came back with 3 results:

Select all the results and hit enter so it will be added to the right:

Now it's time to change a value and see what it does in-game. So double click the first value and change it to let's say 150:

If the value in MHS is still 90 try changing another one. For me the second one changed and I looked in-game to see if the FOV has changed:

Once in game this is what I got:

Now it's time to make a patch to change the FOV. This address is proberly a DMA address. That means the address changes every time a new map is loading, or if you restart the game or so. This would be a different tutorial :D

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2007, 23:01 

Probably gonna donate my project here as well. Didn't make te program te release, and it is probably with lot of coding errors, but he if someone want it.

I can also help with some coding for vb6 and vb .net :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2007, 00:02 
Insiders
Insiders

:?:

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie