Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 10:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 302  Next
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 04:39 

Bummer, that would of been a pleasant surprise.

Post subject: c69 wrote:NOTE: The 1.2
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 04:41 
Insiders
Insiders

NOTE: The 1.2 update is FORCED, even if you have update disabled in Steam.

I disabled my network interface, copied the entire 1.1 game. Went into steam and disabled updates. After activating network and running steam, patch is automatic despite checkbox saying updates are turned off.

I wonder if it will auto-patch every time I overwrite with 1.1? Its not clear how I can get it to not do this.

Since 1.1 is virtually identical to 1.0, I'd recommend using 1.0.

Why? Because 1.0 did not require steam to run - you could just run the tesv.exe and the game would run without steam :)

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 04:43 

Guys what you need to do is just revert, if you're on W7:

Right-click Skyrim in Steam UI, go to settings/whatever and uncheck auto update. Then right-click Skyrim folder in Steam directory, properties, previous versions tab, then copy over last night's version of the game to wherever. Delete the existing Steam folder, replace with the old one.

I read that you can avoid Steam auto update by making it not run at startup. If that doesn't work, well, it's trivial to replace the 6 GB Skyrim file with the old one every time, provided the old one is kept on the same drive.

Post subject: chieftex wrote:c69
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 04:44 

[quote]NOTE: The 1.2 update is FORCED, even if you have update disabled in Steam.

I disabled my network interface, copied the entire 1.1 game. Went into steam and disabled updates. After activating network and running steam, patch is automatic despite checkbox saying updates are turned off.

I wonder if it will auto-patch every time I overwrite with 1.1? Its not clear how I can get it to not do this.

Since 1.1 is virtually identical to 1.0, I'd recommend using 1.0.

Why? Because 1.0 did not require steam to run - you could just run the tesv.exe and the game would run without steam :)

But that doesn't change the overall problem since you need Steam for all your other games.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 05:00 

So this is how I got it to continue using 1.1

I copied the entire "skyrim" game folder. (as well as steamapp config files and MyGames/skyrim). When I launched steam for the first time, then clicked "play", even with update disabled, it loaded 1.2. I killed Haydens fix, then clicked play (again). It was now running 1.2 with badly scaled menus as expected. Immediately exited from Skyrim.

Copied the 1.1 skyrim folder back to /common. Started haydens 0.3 fix. Launched from the launcher. Play, continue. Everything is working w/ 1.1

Reboot. Verified again. When started from launcher, does not try to repatch. It may be one of the config files in /common, or perhaps it is maintained on the server, but once it has patched, it did not try to patch again. I can play 1.1.

I feel like I am playing on borrowed time. Perhaps eveyone should keep running 1.1 and give Haydn a rest until they break it again, so that he does not chase his tail too much. Thanks again Hayden for your fix.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 05:11 

I never updated to the first patch and have been running it with 4.b and vanilla TESV.exe - If there are any files/etc that you want or need I will be happy to upload (them) to a file sharer of your choice

I haven't logged onto steam on my eyefinity rig since before the first patch. I disabled Skyrim updates on another machine and it updated anyway- so I didn't even log onto Steam on this machine

Post subject: Once you have 1.1 Skyrim
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 05:19 

Once you have 1.1 Skyrim folder setup, if you are having problems with steam auto updating your game every time even with auto update off, you just need to disconnect your internet connection while logged into steam. You can still run the game and use any of the fixes. Or as some people have been doing; run 1.0 without passing through steam.

Thx btw guys for the fix :) You should apply to Bethesda, cover letter stating what they need to change in the future to actually win game of the year...

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 05:41 

for those of you who didn't enable previous version in windows I found this:

linkage

I tried this, but am getting menu problems like getting stuck when reading books or doing alchemy. There are other issues too, like take all not working, and yes/no dialog options not responding to mouse clicks. Those can be worked around by pressing y/n, but if you get a dialog with an "ok" reply, then you're SOL.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 06:15 

I'm getting the pirated disc version of the game and the day 1 patch until Bethesda sorts out all this foolishness with my Steam version. Everything worked perfectly fine (multi-monitors aside) on day one.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2011, 07:33 

[quote]I feel like I am playing on borrowed time. Perhaps eveyone should keep running 1.1 and give Haydn a rest until they break it again, so that he does not chase his tail too much. Thanks again Hayden for your fix.

I agree with you, with this new list of bugs, they have to make another patch for skyrim, quite soon too. I hade 1.0 or 1.1 backedup so running on that, and not via steam then, but straight into game, they say its v 1.0, but the TESV im using is from 1.1 from a earlyer post here when the issue emerged.
So Hayden give it a litle rest, and yea I know that some of you had bugs with fast travel and such in 1.1, but im guessing with this faliure from Bethesda, they'll probobly make a new patch, but it still might take a cuple of weeks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3012 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 302  Next