Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 02:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Can you pillarbox?
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 06:56 

btw wouldnt the fact that the crt is 4:3 and the lcd is 16:10 cause problems when using them at the same time?

In extended desktop mode you can run each monitor in it's proper aspect ratio with it's own resolution, the options both in the desttop properties and Catalyst Control Center.

and if I understand this correctly, there is no way to get pillarboxing without digital-in?

I'm pretty sure you can by creating a resolution within a resolution with powerstrip, though I've never bothered to try as my display has an aspect ratio button on the remote.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 20:01 

In extended desktop mode you can run each monitor in it's proper aspect ratio with it's own resolution, the options both in the desttop properties and Catalyst Control Center.

I see, thanks for the info.
I'm pretty sure you can by creating a resolution within a resolution with powerstrip, though I've never bothered to try as my display has an aspect ratio button on the remote.

That seems a lot of work... I better get an lcd with digital-in :)
I have today successfully returned this one for a full refund, so until I find a good one to buy, I'm back on my crt :)

During these days of my widescreen gaming, I found that this forum is a great help and I wish to thank everyone for helping me here, and for everything else that helped me get some games working properly :)

PostPosted: 19 May 2007, 18:20 

1) Radeon x1600
2) 7.4
3) No, even though the option is there

Maybe someone can help me out. The Image Scaling option in the catalyst menu is there for me, but it doesn't do a thing. I've tried both ways and no matter what I get the stretched full screen.

I've got a Hanns G HW192D through DVI. I don't think the monitor should really matter though.

I have no idea if my drivers are old, if I should update, if that would help or what. Does anyone have an idea?

I checked this thread too:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/6170
and nothing helped.

EDIT: Just updated to the latest drivers and no difference.

PostPosted: 19 May 2007, 21:28 

The 8800GTS 640 using the newest nVidia drivers does pillarbox using the previously mentioned method in the nVidia control panel.

I use it for Sam and Max and Just Cause mostly...

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2007, 06:12 

I'm having trouble getting pillarbox to work. I just bought a Samsung 906BW widescreen 19" monitor. I love it. But my favorite games Starcraft and Warcraft 3 get stretched out, and I can't get pillarbox to work. I have the latest Nvidia drivers 93.71, and I don't see this option:

Using Classic View

* First select 'nView Display Settings' and click on the 'Device Settings' button. Deselect "Treat digital Display as HDTV"

Don't laugh: I have a GeForce3 ti200. This card was all I really needed to run these games. Any suggestions, Starcraft looks awful!

Thanks.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2007, 16:38 

You might not have to disable that (I didn't need to). Go to nView Display Settings, click the "Device Settings" Button and select "Device Adjustments". From here pick the "Fixed Aspect Ratio" radio button and click OK. Keep in mind you have to be using DVI for all of this to become available.

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2007, 18:37 

So I have to be using DVI to use pillarbox? Unfortunately my video card only has VGA out.

Also I cannot find "nView Display Settings" anywhere. And in the
Advanced resolutions and refresh rates window, the "flat panel scaling"
dropdown menu is grayed out.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2007, 00:36 

Yes.

Samsung LN-T2653H = HDTV = built in pillarboxing.

Seriously HDTVs are the way to go if you want widescreen, so much more flexible vs dedicated PC LCDs.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2007, 02:00 
Insiders
Insiders

Can you run 1920x692 on your HDTV? With correct letterboxing and everything? I can on my LCD monitor.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2007, 03:37 

Can you run 1920x692 on your HDTV? With correct letterboxing and everything? I can on my LCD monitor.

No, but why would I want to? That's a rather odd resolution.

I know there are some dedicated PC monitors with great built in aspect handling and scaling, but most do not have that - whereas most HDTVs do. HDTVs typically also have an advantage in that they're more easily used for other purposes (TV, consoles). However, it is not my intention to start an argument on the subject or hijack this thread. I guess I should say that getting any type of display with built in aspect handing is the way to go if you want widescreen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next