Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 19:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2005, 14:23 

Yeah, I did a test(printed screen in 1400x1050 and 1680x1050) and yeah, we are still getting the top and bottom of the screen chopped off. >_< (turns out, I don't flying the Chinese attack chopper that much to notice the rotor-blades. <_<)

I mean, if the developer behind Call Of Defeat can give you aspect ratio options in their DEMO, you'd think that Dice would be able to fix this one up pretty easily.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2005, 14:57 
Editors
Editors

Hopefully as more and more games are made for the XBox 360 with widescreen TV's then more game developers will hopefully leave the option in when they bring out the PC version as they seem to have done with "Call of Duty 2"

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2005, 10:34 

Lol, I called it Call of Defeat 2!! :lol:

That would make for an interesting game..."Play through the single player campaign were you face defeat on all fronts!"
Finally a game where you get to play as the Germans in WW2! :lol:

But yeah, BF2 widescreen: I've posted again in the EA forum(http://forum.eagames.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1453), perhaps we should consider one of those online petitions...sure, they usually don't work, but it's worth a shot. :)

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2005, 11:18 
Editors
Editors

LOL ... :lol:

I don't have a lot of faith in EA's ability to listen ... but ...
In this thread ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/5807
Walle0 has posted a reply he got from EA sports it is the most encouraging reply I have seen from EA ... all be it EA Sports.
Here is an extract from EA's reply to him that post ...
I’m sorry for the difficulty that you are having with NBA 2006.

Unfortunately the game doesnt support widescreen resolutions the maximum resolution of the game is 1280x1024. This is an issue that has been requested by a huge portion of the community, so EA is evaluating it for an update. Unfortunately there is no certainty right now when it will be solved, sorry.

My feeling is that once EA take on board the widescreen communities concerns for one game we will soon see it spread to other games and as I said in my last post the Xbox 360 thing will also help.

Here's to living in hope that your new game "Call of Defeat 2" will be in glorious widescreen .... :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2005, 12:16 
Editors
Editors

Y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if the 'huge portion of the community' is the console market. With the XboX360 and PS3 being HD, that requires widescreen.

Hopefully if they code widescreen in to console games, they'll go the same route with PC games - but something makes me sceptical...

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2005, 00:43 

Confusing, but I think I followed you. Basically you're saying you like the added detail of having 1920 pixels display the same horizontal FOV as 1440 pixels would normally, correct? Ideally, you could enjoy the same increase in resolution by just displaying the 4:3 ratio image at 1920 x 1440 without the cropping. But that would be a pretty weird resolution for most displays.

So does the extra 480 horizontal pixels really make that anti tank weapon that much easier to use? If so, I think you have truly found the only possible reason to crop.

Personally, I think I would be more concerned about not seeing a plane or helicopter above because of the cropped vertical FOV. 8)

I agree that cropping sucks but running at your native resolution will give you a SHARPER image even though you are missing a little bit at the top and bottom. Furthermore, arnt you moving your head up and down looking for Helos anyways? Sorry not trying to be rude, but thanks for contributing so much to this thread......PS EVERYONE GO TO THE EA FORUM AND COMPLAIN about no widescreen support.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2005, 00:47 

Hopefully as more and more games are made for the XBox 360 with widescreen TV's then more game developers will hopefully leave the option in when they bring out the PC version as they seem to have done with "Call of Duty 2"

Problem with the Xbox 360 comming out is that since they require all game developers to use HD widescreen resolutions, they have a shortage of games that will be comming out! I just read that at CDnet

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2005, 08:34 
Editors
Editors

If they require all game developers to use HD widescreen resolutions then that should be a good thing for us ... as ...

I don't think the shortage will be there for long and hopefully the widescreen bit will be left in the games if they bring them out on PC ... we shall see ... :shock: :wink:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2005, 17:12 

another thing now is with the new Windows Vista comming out, which will support HD....many monitors that are not HDCP encoded into the hardware already will not be able to view HD content on Windows Vista!!!!!

This is bad news to anyone who bought a LCD or plasma for there computer (W/O HDCP in the hardware) expecting to view High Definition on it in the near future. Could be the same problem for games in High Def. as well. :-(

A blurb on what is HDCP
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/H/HDCP.html

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2005, 19:53 

I set my BF2 Shortcut to this

"C:...Battlefield 2BF2.exe" +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1152 +szy 652"

Now I got it up and running and the picture is unbelievable!!! Especially the TV is recognizing it as a 720p signal :)

Now the res should be 1280 x 720 to have "true" 720p but then theres overscan in that picture so thats why the res is brought down.

Now as for everybody complaining about the FOV being chopped, yeah you loose a a bit on the top and bottom, but im sure as hell happy that I can play this in widescreen on my TV, you know what actually until I started reading on this forum I didnt even notice that the picture was cut off a bit.

Remeber widescreen gaming is fairly new in the mainstream public, there still is very little widscreen monitors out there so why would a company spend the resources and money on developing a widescreen game if 95% of the public would have no clue on how to use it. Just my $0.02

With the release of the X360 looming around the corner there will be a huge increase in widescreen gaming because of the development for the X360 and with HDTV to become standard wthin the next 3 years.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 44  Next