Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 09:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2007, 18:37 

Just run Version 2.0 at 3840x1024 W FOV 0.8 H FOV 0.5 in DX10 Vista32, and it works a treat, Thanx Racer_S, i can now enjoy Bioshock without having a sickbag on standby :oops:

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2007, 18:45 
Editors
Editors

I have to note that the developers gave a comment on the VERT- of the game. I unfortunatly only have a dutch source.
The game was designed for 16:9 screens and initially rendered with two black bars on 16:10 or 4:3 screens. This restriction has been removed in a later phase of the development. The reason the developers chose for VERT- and not for HOR+ was because they thought it unfair for the widescreen users to have an advantage, or rather they thought the advantage of some extra VERT for 4:3 users was minimal compared to the advantage of some extra HOR for 16:9/16:10 users.
that is nonsense ... look here ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11775

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2007, 19:03 

someone please release a fix which does not use the numpad * key to enable the FOV changing =/ i really want to play in widescreen

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2007, 20:02 
Insiders
Insiders

2K will be releasing a patch to re-implement widescreen properly. You won't be out in the cold forever :)

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 12:14 

The reason the developers chose for VERT- and not for HOR+ was because they thought it unfair for the widescreen users to have an advantage

Are we seriously still in the age where people don't realize that someone will always have better hardware than them. A higher FoV is no different then someone playing a game on 7 year old hardware vs someone doing it on brand new hardware, and on top of that there is no multiplayer in Bioshock... No one has the advantage over anyone *that's EA's argument about widescreen*. By that statements own logic they made a game where the people that have the disadvantage are people who didn't just spend $2000 on a new pc... not widescreeen owners.

*i'm not putting down it's need for brand new hardware*

MY biggest problem with the quote is that it's actually being said about a game with no multiplayer, So I must assume the AI will hold a grudge agianst me for having a bigger penis then him, err excuse me.. for having a bigger monitor ?

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2007, 15:59 

Is there any way to change the key settings? I have a keyboard without a numpad. :-(

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 01:28 

Is there any way to change the key settings? I have a keyboard without a numpad. :-(

welcome to the club - i have the very same problem as stated in this thread and contacted the author of the program - no dice

however using http://www.canadiancontent.net/tech/download/Key_Remapper.html i have been able to reassign my numeric zero key to the numpad * and it works

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 03:35 

For the FMVs and cut-scenes, we need comparison screenshots, with the hack enabled on the widescreen shots.

Also, I have one question. If the FMVs come in 4:3 versions and 16:9 versions, then why is Gabbo's 4:3 FMV shot letterboxed?

You can check for yourself in the game folder:
2K GamesBioShockContentBinkMovies
Only a few of the videos have differant 4:3 and 16:9 versions. You can check the rest (they are all bink videos) to see what their native format (full/wide screen, or letterboxing, etc) is, and then play the game to see if it changes the video much when it plays 16:9 compared to 4:3
For instance, the plane sequence is native widescreen format in the original bink file.
The majority of the FMV's are just little partial screen ones that show you how to use your plasmids, those little B&W tv ad like things that last only a few seconds. The two ends have 1 FMV for each, each about 40 megs.
Then there's the harvest and save sequences which are FMV and have the two formats. And there's a short video near the end that has 2 differant formats.
There's videos for the moving backgrounds when you hack stuff.
And there's the largest video of all... a 130 meg video that looks like its a trailer from E3 from a year or two ago since the game is differant looking from that now lol.
Anyway, most of the rest are just in game stuff, and the FOV definately helps those from what I've seen.

great program but one tiny problem

my keyboard does not have a numlock *, it doesnt have a numlock pad at all

most keyboards nowaydays dont have any numlock keys cause they are useless, im using a logitech dinovo edge and i cant activate the FOV fix =/

Number pads aren't hardly useless. They are incredibly important for entering numbers into things like spreadsheets or databases. Its much much faster to use that. I even have a separate USB number pad for my laptop which doesn't have one, you can get one of those for $10-$20 at places like circuit city.
There was also another hack being worked on that didn't require any keys to be pushed while running the games.
And finally, I imagine there exists keyboard emulators you could try.

Or you could try this:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/w2kscan-map.mspx
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1017256194

Essentially you create a registry key that remaps one of your keys on your keyboard.
Edit: Nm, looks like you found a better and much easier solution.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 05:01 
Insiders
Insiders

You can check for yourself in the game folder:
2K GamesBioShockContentBinkMovies

No I can't, because I don't own the game.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2007, 18:40 

what is the best hack for 1680x1050 (16:10) ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next