Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 12:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2005, 07:05 

If you look at the box art on BF2 and BF2 SF, you will notice that some of the screenshots are in widescreen format. Whether or not thay are cropped images is anyones guess. All it would take for DICE to enable Widescreen format is for them to use the same resolutions that are in windows, but they do not.

If we don't get a quick fix on this I suggest we start asking for our money back.

Unfortunately, this is a case of the sales or advertising teams writting checks the Devs can cash. They are most definitely cropped images and usually if you dig deep in the disclaimer, you'll see something like "Monitor does not reflect actual gameplay" or something to that effect. I mean, there's not even a HUD on those screenshots and it's even the same heli image on all of them. Clearly a crop job.

Asking for your money back isn't going to do any good. Just play the game and enjoy it the best you can while you wait for the native support. It IS after all, just a video game - not the cure for cancer...

Post subject: reply from Dice
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2005, 18:17 

Hi,

I also sent an email yesterday and got this reply. I think this could be the most we can get out of this for the time being. But keep sending mails to show them we really really want widescreen support!

From: Annika Olsson [Annika.Olsson@dice.se]; on behalf of; Info [info@dice.se]

Hi,

Thank you for your mail.

We have been talking about adding support for widescreen monitors but never gotten around to actually do it. Yes, some people consider it to be “cheatingâ€Â

Post subject: Re: reply from Dice
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2005, 08:17 

[quote]Hi,

I also sent an email yesterday and got this reply. I think this could be the most we can get out of this for the time being. But keep sending mails to show them we really really want widescreen support!

From: Annika Olsson [Annika.Olsson@dice.se]; on behalf of; Info [info@dice.se]

Hi,

Thank you for your mail.

We have been talking about adding support for widescreen monitors but never gotten around to actually do it. Yes, some people consider it to be “cheatingâ€Â

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2005, 21:24 

[quote]
If you look at the box art on BF2 and BF2 SF, you will notice that some of the screenshots are in widescreen format. Whether or not thay are cropped images is anyones guess. All it would take for DICE to enable Widescreen format is for them to use the same resolutions that are in windows, but they do not.

If we don't get a quick fix on this I suggest we start asking for our money back.

Unfortunately, this is a case of the sales or advertising teams writting checks the Devs can cash. They are most definitely cropped images and usually if you dig deep in the disclaimer, you'll see something like "Monitor does not reflect actual gameplay" or something to that effect. I mean, there's not even a HUD on those screenshots and it's even the same heli image on all of them. Clearly a crop job.

Asking for your money back isn't going to do any good. Just play the game and enjoy it the best you can while you wait for the native support. It IS after all, just a video game - not the cure for cancer...

Sorry but I am not going to be satisfied with playing a game that won't fit on my monitor. You can go ahead and keep giving support to a company that doesn't give a shit about you, but I won't. The only way to get them to include widescreen support is to ask for it.

As far as the cropped images are concerned, yes I agree they are probably cropped, but the various product shots from Dell and Alienware that show the same images on their widescreen monitors and laptops doesn't help their case.

They show a picture of the game in widescreen then they should deliver it. If the people at DICE can't figure out how to activate widescreen support then they are morons. If the people at DICE are concerned that giving people access to widescreen resolutions will somehow give us an advantage, then again, they are morons. All they have to do is give 4:3 users the ability to change the FOV to whatever the widescreen equivalent is.

For EA to offer support for this game, but pass the blame to DICE is wrong. I doubt very seriously that anyone from DICE has been contacted by EA. If you look at the various replies you will see that we are given a stock reply.

The only way to get what we want is to be vocal about it.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2006, 04:08 

I think that there would be no advantage by using widescreen if they offered a 'letterbox' widescreen version for the 4:3 crowd.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2006, 15:53 
Founder
Founder

Better get voting then !! http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/

Which feature would you most like to see in future PC games
1. True widescreen support 30.92% [320 votes]

2. Online purchase and download 26.47% [274 votes]

3. More emphasis on cutting edge graphics 25.12% [260 votes]

4. Support for voice comms online 17.49% [181 votes]

Total: 1035 votes

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2006, 11:18 

One of the reasons I didn't buy Battlefield 2, even though I find the actual game amazing, is because it didn't support widescreen resolutions. In fact, that buggy piece-of-sh*t game didn't even allow me to select 1280*1024 on my other 4:3 monitor.

The second reason I didn't buy it is because the menus are so extremely buggy. I couldn't re-bind some of my keys, not even after the patch which supposedly fixed it, and finding/joining online games is such a pain in the butt.

The other reason I didn't buy it is because it's from EA. They have the worst support for their games ever. They don't release patches quickly enough (and many of the bugs in their games never get fixed), they charge money for shitty expansions which should be free, and they treat their employees like crap. EA are bad for the gaming industry.

If they'd release a patch which would support widescreen resolutions, MAYBE I'd consider buying it... but as long as they don't, I'll be playing other stuff.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2006, 03:56 
Founder
Founder

Absolutely. With widescreen becoming more common now I'm fairly certain it'll be given the consideration it needs in the future.

That is the response I got from one of the official EA guys in a PM regarding asking for WS support. Not sure it will make it in the enxt patch but it seems positive to it being added in the future. He responded as quoted above an told me he would personally pass on the request to the developers at Dice.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2006, 12:52 

I have noticed on my system that it doesnt get as good frame rates when I run 1920x1200!! it was really bothering me..!!!

my system has a 9800pro, that I have overclocked, and went from a 2.8ghz PIV to a 3700+ 1mb cache AMD.. I have been bechnmarking to see if my scores go up, they go up dramatically with the new chip but it was still lagging..

UNTILL!!

I threw my BF2 DVD in, and accedently pressed PLAY BF2 from the disk menu and it loaded up the game at 1600x1200 with black boarders.. went back to 1920x1200 and it just wasnt as smooth!

now I just play 1600x1200 and turned up some settings, b4 everything had to be on LOW but if it had the option for OFF, then it was off..

I guess going from 1600x1200 to 1920x1200 really puts stress on my system!!!!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2006, 13:57 
Editors
Editors

Yeah ... 1920x1200 is a lot more pixels to render ... :(

I can easily play it at 1920x1200 with everything at max but I prefer not to have the view cut down so I use 1600x1200 ... :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next