Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 01:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2005, 03:53 

so i bought the game and expect 1680x1050 to be in the options menu.. turns out not even 1280x1024 is in there. Anyways i will see if i can get it to run in 1680x1050 (2005fpw), if anyone can help that would be good as well.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2005, 05:26 

Bull-fracking-s***!

What is the matter with these game companies? WAKE THE FRACK UP, YOU BLOCKHEADS! People use widescreen! Integrate it or die, you cheapskates! :evil:

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2005, 05:47 

Funny, their screenshots are widescreen.

http://www.adventtrilogy.com/images/screens/1_21bigger/AR_003.jpg

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2005, 07:41 
Editors
Editors

Those screenshots are probably for the Xbox ... and you would think if the Xbox can do it then the PC could do it.

I don't have the game yet ...
It isn't out in the UK until September ... :(

Isn't this game based on the Unreal engine ? ...
Try adjusting the ini files as for other Unreal based games ...

Usually ...
gamename.ini .... for the resolution.
Look for ...
FullscreenViewportX=800
FullscreenViewportY=600
and change to your desired resolution

and ...

user.ini ... for the FOV
Under the heading ... [Engine.PlayerController] ...look for ...
DesiredFOV=90.000000
DefaultFOV=90.000000
FOVAngle=90.0
and change to your desired FOV.

Hope this helps ... :)

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2005, 08:19 

wow i made a huge post detailing what i tried, and then ended up fixing it on my own!

hah

this game is strange, there already ARE letterboxes on the screen, but the screenshots dont show the letterboxes.... whatever.

I already found the screen width and height settings, you will have to launch the game and make a profile so you can edit the settings. Then go to "mydefault" and edit these:

FullscreenViewportY=1050
FullscreenViewportX=1680
WindowedViewportY=1050
WindowedViewportX=1680

i cant remember what the defaults are but obviously do whatever your screen is! Oh and this is what threw me off, unlike a ton of other configs out there, this one has the HEIGHT, and THEN the width, thats why it didnt work. However this STILL has the letterbox, i will tinker with the "windowed viewport" and see if i can get them to be smaller or possibly eliminate them :) Right now though this game has a VERY movie like presentation since it looks like a 2.33:1 aspect ratio (instead of 16:9 widescreen), which is what most movies come in.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2005, 08:32 
Editors
Editors

Great news that your getting somewhere ... :)
Any chance of some screenshots ... showing before and after the ini changes ?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2005, 08:52 

Great news that your getting somewhere ... :)
Any chance of some screenshots ... showing before and after the ini changes ?

yep

http://www.gregoxsen.com/Images/adventrising/

unfortunately the stupid black bars are screwing up our widescreen. Notice how the 4:3 one you can see much more of the top and bottom? if there was only some way to make these black bars not so damn big... ill look into it and possibly replacing them with smaller black bars.

Hmm, theres a GUItexture.utx file in the textures folder, how do i go about accessing utx, i could probably edit it right?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2005, 09:09 
Editors
Editors

The FOV doesn't seem to be changing ...
Have you tried changing the FOV in the user.ini ?

also ... .utx can me altered using UnrealEd.exe ... some of the unreal based games come with their own editor. Unfortunately you really have to know how to use it ... it's not easy unless you know what you are doing.

I don't know how to use it but I once managed to change the NVIDIA start up logo The way it's meant to be played on UT2004 ... to have my own picture there. It was a bit of a fiddle not knowing what I was doing but I got there in the end.

anyway ... try the FOV change and good luck ... :)

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2005, 10:09 

The FOV doesn't seem to be changing ...
Have you tried changing the FOV in the user.ini ?

also ... .utx can me altered using UnrealEd.exe ... some of the unreal based games come with their own editor. Unfortunately you really have to know how to use it ... it's not easy unless you know what you are doing.

I don't know how to use it but I once managed to change the NVIDIA start up logo The way it's meant to be played on UT2004 ... to have my own picture there. It was a bit of a fiddle not knowing what I was doing but I got there in the end.

anyway ... try the FOV change and good luck ... :)

ahh i didnt think of that

i hope theres an alternative, FOV isnt my favorite thing to do since it makes everything look all fisheye lens'd

no FOV seems to be in the .cfg...

damn

i just played the game for about 1 and a half hours, great story so far, action is pretty damn good too. At first having the black bars is a little disorienting but you get sort of used to it, i would still love to use the whole screen :cry:

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2005, 18:52 

The game seems to use the correct FOV and does not appear stretched at 1920x1200, however the annoying black bars at the top and bottom make it look like it's in 2.33:1 aspect ratio. Any idea if there's any way to get rid of that?