Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Sep 2024, 04:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2006, 01:18 

Hi guys, I have a 2005fpw and 6600gt. When I run the native 1680x1050 resolution, the game is too slow (37fps) so I tried to switch to a lower resolution. I checked the other posts for 16:10 resolutions and found the next best thing to be 1440x900 or 1280x800. However, when I set it to these custom resolutions, the game appears to cover only 4/5 of my monitor (I see some of windows xp) even though r_fullscreen is set to 1. I tested other resolutions like setting it to 1280x1024 (r_mode 7) and setting the aspectratio to 2 and it's fullscreen on my monitor even though that is suppose to be for 4:3 monitors. Can someone please explain why that happens and if theres a solution? Please help, thanks.

James

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2006, 02:07 
Founder
Founder

Hi welcome. :)

What output option are you using in your digital flat panel (nvidia) settings?

I was talking to Paddy about something similar when he used 1440x900 to showcase FEAR to another poster. Here is the thread:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/5945

If your output option is set to 'monitor scaling' the lower 16:10 resolutions should be filling the entire monitor.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2006, 03:08 

Hi, where is the option to set to scaling in nvidia options?

James

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2006, 09:42 
Editors
Editors

To choose how to display lower resolutions ...

Right click desktop
Choose ... NVIDIA Display
Dell ... 2005fpw
In the window that opens choose ... nView Display Settings
Click ... Device Settings ... choose ... Device Adjustments ...
You will see various ways on how to display lower resolutions.
Choose ... Monitor scaling ... to scale up lower resolutions to fit your Dell.

Now go to ... Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates
See if 1440x900 is in the list of resolutions available ...

If your 2005fpw doesn't do 1440x900 as a standard resolution option you will need Coolbits 2 ...
Get it here ... http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=815
Coolbits 2 allows hidden function within ForceWare drivers, it enables several new Direct3d and OpenGL configuration tabs, and even more tweaking capability from the nVidia taskbar settings panel.

Once downloaded double click the ... forceware_coolbits_[Guru3D.com].exe ... file to unzip.
In the folder ... forceware ... there should be another folder ... Setup ... in here there is a file called ... coolbits_forceware.reg
Just double click it to add the coolbits to your registry.

But ... use it at your own risk ... in fact there is a disclaimer you need to agree to before the extra functions are useable.

To add custom resolutions go to ... Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates ... as described above ...
Towards the bottom there should be an "Add" button in the area "Custom resolutions and refresh rates"
This is where you add the custom resolutions.

Please be careful ... I'm not responsible for any damage to your monitor if it gets broken by choosing resolutions and refresh rates that are not compatible.

Note : You do not need your desktop resolution to be at the lower one to use the lower resolution in a game.

BTW ... Just in-case you didn't know ... in this nVidia settings panel there is a Performance & Quality Settings option where you can set different "Profiles" for different games and to get the best performance it is usually best to experiment with the various settings or use the nVidia pre-defined "Profiles" ... Coolbits extends the available options.

I hope this helps ... :D