Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 23:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silent Hunter 3
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2006, 18:15 

This game rocks and i wanna bye it, but can you play this game on widescreen 16:10 or 1440 x 900 ???

I searched the solutions page but can't find the game. Has someone have this game and played it with widescreen???

Cheers.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2006, 12:07 

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/5622

I would install this game again and try it for you, but this game is on my blacklist -- I can't risk putting it on my computer, its too addictive.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2006, 13:27 

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/5622

I would install this game again and try it for you, but this game is on my blacklist -- I can't risk putting it on my computer, its too addictive.

LoL ok, yeah i wanna buy the game, but i must be sure thats compatible with widescreen

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2006, 18:37 

Still nobody has this game on this site?? Or has a solution, i wanna know really bad :?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2006, 19:25 
Editors
Editors

Hello ... my buddy is bringing the game around on Sunday morning ... I will give it a try for you then ... although from what I can tell looking at that link neoWidescreen posted it looks like the resolution is possible but not the FOV ... so it will be stretched ... :cry:

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2006, 23:55 

I couldn't let Paddy post a solution for yet another game. :wink: But somebody owes me big time. :lol: i've installed SH3 at great risk to try it in widescreen. Now i reallllllllly want to play this but cant because of work :cry:

Anyhow, enough about me: the game. The hack on the link listed above WORKS. You need to download this DX9 tool and drop it in your Silent Hunter 3 install directory. You set the resolution in d3d9.cfg (that's the key). Then run the game, and it's running at that resolution.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be an FOV trick... i checked all the games .CFG files and there's nothing. To be honest, the FOV is already quite wide in the game (in free eye mode: above water) so you dont need it.

So YES it supports widescreen, but theres no extra FOV so image is slightly stretched. However it's still VERY playable and to be honest i didn't notice the stretching; except for the map grids. Here's the screenshots:

4:3 ratio (1600x1200)

16:10 ratio (1920x1200)

full 1920x1200 un-resized screenshot
i think you'll agree the ships look very sharp and detailed (no AA on for these)

I also tried to get a screenshot at the default resolution so you can see how crap it looks, but stupid fraps won't take screenies for some reason. Without this hack, it looks blocky and low-res.[/url]

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2006, 01:03 
Editors
Editors

Hey thanks neo ... that will save me a lot of time and effort installing a game I'm not sure I want ... :D

I couldn't let Paddy post a solution for yet another game. :wink:

So are you going to post this in the PC Widescreen Solutions section ... :? ... or do you want me to do it ... :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2006, 14:00 

LOL... done. Paddy, could you please verify i've picked the correct square tags? [Res] [Edit] ????

Silent Hunter 3 is a great game (i'm a FPS guy though)... it's just the learning curve. Unlike FPS's which have dozens of cheap kills, Silent Hunter makes you work for a single kill... but it's immensly rewarding when you get that kill. The ship might explode, break in half, and sink. And you can play dirty and attack merchant ships too. :twisted: Buahahahahaha!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2006, 14:26 
Editors
Editors

The tags are fine ... 8) ... thanks again ... :D

I also tried to get a screenshot at the default resolution so you can see how crap it looks, but stupid fraps won't take screenies for some reason. Without this hack, it looks blocky and low-res.

Can you not take screenshots using the Prt Scrn key ... ?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2006, 16:22 

Wow thanks sow i can buy this game 2 :), i gonna buy it this week goes this game rocks :) . Thanks a lot you guy's