Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 02:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2006, 03:35 

OK I got the XFX 6600GT AGP 128mb, card with dual DVI output..... and this http://accessories.gateway.com/AccessoryStore/PC+Accessories_316441/Monitors_316684/LCD+_Q1_Flat+Panel_Q1_+Monitors_316694/20_D1_21+inch+LCD_381955/1534243_ProdDetail?seg=cp
Gateway FPD2185W 21 inch LCD which has a true resolution of 1680x1050, which is the resolution I'd like to play all my games on... coming out of my vid card the first output I have a cheap generic DVI cable connected to my LCD, and the second output I used the DVI to VGA converter that came in the XFX box for a VGA connection to my screen, so I have both DVI and VGA connections that I can switch back and forth on my LCD menu..
now my problem is.... how is it that my VGA mode supports a higher game resolution than my DVI mode???? isnt DVI supposed to be way better than VGA for LCD's... for example, when I play a game in VGA mode and I play lets say NBA Live 06, the maximum resolution I can choose inside the actual settings menu ! INSIDE THE GAME ! is 1600x1200, which still isnt the resolution I want, but closer than the DVI option... but if I was to start the game again only this time in DVI mode I go back into the settings menu and my maximum available resolution is 1280x1024... as u can imagine playing a game in a resolution lower than your screens native res will stretch the pixels and make the whole gameplay experience extremely ugly... plus if u play a game like AGE of empires 3, everything is zoomed in so closely that it makes the gaming very difficult... for games like Rome Total War its all good, cuz they have a preferences Notepad document in the install folder where u can just open it and write down any resolution u want the game to be played on, but for most other games, they dont have that..they only have Automatic resolution detection and u can only switch the resolution INSIDE THE GAME SETTINGS MENU, so I'm just trying to figure out if this is an issue because the DVI cables I have which are fairly cheap $10.. are they unable to transfer high resolutions, or whatever else it might be, cuz my vid card supports a max resolution of 2048x1536@85Hz so I know for SURE that my vid card aint the problem....
anybody help me on this ??

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2006, 03:42 
Editors
Editors

Yes there is a difference in resolutions between VGA and DVI. The difference is bigger with older cards but there is nothing wrong. VGA can output higher res. The difference is DVI is digital and VGA analog. If you want to use a custom resolution for a game just check out Master Game list. Or just ask about that particular game.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: 16 Feb 2006, 04:38 

ok so now for my games to detect a higher resolution through my DVI connection, should I buy more expensive cables ??
or are these games like NBA Live 06, NHL 06, pretty much ELECTRONIC ARTS games, (Retards by the way) are these games ever gonna be able to detect my 1680x1050 native screen resolution for me to use them in the games ??
basically what do I have to do to enable this resolution inside the game menus, how come it isnt detected by these games ??

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2006, 15:36 

Nhl 06 is not supported for widescreen resolutions and nobody has found a hack for it as of yet.

Ea is the scum of game designers.