Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 07:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006, 15:52 

Hi guys, I just got a new Samsung 215TW 21 inch LCD and it's my first LCD with DVI. Now I've been trying to play some Doom3 engine games such as Prey and Doom 3 and have been having some big issues. I've done all the cfg modifications as I had a 1440x900 VGA monitor but for some reason when I start the game it would always show up as 1280x960. I tried changing the scaling methods in Forceware none of them will give me a proper widescreen picture.

The situation is even worse with Doom 3. If I put in a widescreen custom res in the cfg file and start the game the resolution of the monitor will be the custom res but the bottom 1/3 of the monitor will have the desktop ie. the taskbar etc. The game itself is horribly stretched and occupies the top 2/3.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Widescreen works fine with games like Oblivion and Company of Heroes- as they support it natively. But these Doom3 engine titles are really giving me the headaches. I've been trying to find a solution for 2 hours now to no success. If anyone can help me out, that'll be great! Thanks.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2006, 23:59 
Founder
Founder

Although I don't know why that's happening with Doom 3, I can suggest a fix for Prey: install the latest patch, which includes native support for widescreen resolutions. That way you don't have to mess with any tricky modifications.

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/prey/setuppreypt1.2.exe.html

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2006, 12:41 
Insiders
Insiders

Try changing the settings in-game.

Use the cvars (command variables) noted, but try it in-game.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/

Oh, and use "vid_restart" to skip exiting the game for teh changes to take.

If you're using mods, each mod folder usually have it's own .cfg files..