Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 10:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 06:51 

I tried to run it on Vista but Vista opened a dialog warning me that its trying to access my computer, which of course is very vague.

What exactly does this patcher need to do to make widescreen work? Why is it causing Vista to get paranoid?

Just trying to understand it before I run it.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 09:01 
Editors
Editors

I'm not sure what it is doing but I'm sure it is safe to run it.
PM squ1zzy about it ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=100578

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 09:38 
Insiders
Insiders

It's just warning of it interacting with something other than itself. (Or a Micro$oft component.)

It's fine, Ive used it on a few computers and it always works as it should.

Though i only used it on Vista32bit, not 64.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 18:22 

I'm not sure what it is doing but I'm sure it is safe to run it.
PM squ1zzy about it ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=100578

I don't know squ1zzy from a whole in the wall and I'm not saying he/she is not on the up and up. But is there certainty that there is no spyware or viryus in this?

I ask because if a simple application simply overwrites a game file (the config) then it shouldn't cause this prompt in Vista.

Sorry for casting doubt, I would just like to understand it better.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 18:39 
Editors
Editors

I posted the link because you said you were trying to understand it ... asking various questions about it ...
The best person to answer those questions is squ1zzy as he made it.

If you had just asked straight ...
Does this contain spyware ot a virus ? ... I would have posted ... no.

Please say what you mean ... I don't appreciate my time being wasted !

Two of us have now told you it is safe ... believe us or delete it ... it is up to you.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 19:19 

I posted the link because you said you were trying to understand it ... asking various questions about it ...
The best person to answer those questions is squ1zzy as he made it.

If you had just asked straight ...
Does this contain spyware ot a virus ? ... I would have posted ... no.

Please say what you mean ... I don't appreciate my time being wasted !

Two of us have now told you it is safe ... believe us or delete it ... it is up to you.

I think my original intent was clear in the first post. You say it doesn't contain a virus, that's great, but you can't explain what it does, so I am going on your own trust in the author.

Now I'd love to know what it does, I think its a valid question since you're suggesting people run it. I don't think this line of inquiry is unfair. I am not accusing anyone of anything, I am simply trying to understand it.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 20:51 
Editors
Editors

I think my original intent was clear in the first post.
It was and I answered it but then your subsequent post suggests it wasn't clear ... why else did you change the question ... :wink:

You say it doesn't contain a virus, that's great, but you can't explain what it does, so I am going on your own trust in the author.
I already said I wasn't sure what it is doing and that is why I posted the link for you to talk to squ1zzy.
AND ... mikeh did try to explain ...
And ... yes it is going on my trust in the author ... like I said if you don't want to use it then you don't have to ... if you want to understand it then why not talk to the author ?

Now I'd love to know what it does,
Then use the link I gave you in my first post ... and ask the creator.

I think its a valid question since you're suggesting people run it..
It is valid and always has been ... no one said it wasn't or even suggested it wasn't.

I don't think this line of inquiry is unfair.
It isn't unfair ... nobody said it was unfair or suggested it was unfair ...
I am unhappy that you waste my time because you didn't seem to like the first answer you were given and you changed the question .... :wink:
AND ... now you want to change it back even though you didn't seem happy with that first answer changing the question as if the first answer wasn't what you were really looking for ... :roll:

I am not accusing anyone of anything, I am simply trying to understand it.
I know you are not accusing anyone of anything but if you really are trying to understand it then why not ask the creator ... which was my first answer to your first question.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007, 23:53 

[quote]I think my original intent was clear in the first post.
It was and I answered it but then your subsequent post suggests it wasn't clear ... why else did you change the question ... :wink:

You say it doesn't contain a virus, that's great, but you can't explain what it does, so I am going on your own trust in the author.
I already said I wasn't sure what it is doing and that is why I posted the link for you to talk to squ1zzy.
AND ... mikeh did try to explain ...
And ... yes it is going on my trust in the author ... like I said if you don't want to use it then you don't have to ... if you want to understand it then why not talk to the author ?

Now I'd love to know what it does,
Then use the link I gave you in my first post ... and ask the creator.

I think its a valid question since you're suggesting people run it..
It is valid and always has been ... no one said it wasn't or even suggested it wasn't.

I don't think this line of inquiry is unfair.
It isn't unfair ... nobody said it was unfair or suggested it was unfair ...
I am unhappy that you waste my time because you didn't seem to like the first answer you were given and you changed the question .... :wink:
AND ... now you want to change it back even though you didn't seem happy with that first answer changing the question as if the first answer wasn't what you were really looking for ... :roll:

I am not accusing anyone of anything, I am simply trying to understand it.
I know you are not accusing anyone of anything but if you really are trying to understand it then why not ask the creator ... which was my first answer to your first question.

I did ask the creator, and haven't gotten an answer yet. I'll post an answer here if he/she gives one, unless they post it themselves.

Until then I would be weary of running such an app on your box.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2007, 08:41 
Editors
Editors

I looked into this a bit more as I know the file is safe ...
As you say in your first post it is just Vista being paranoid and it just wants confirmation from you that the file is OK.

After a quick google I found these ... they should help to explain ... 8)

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/0eeb9ddd-ddaa-4cc5-a092-9908305665471033.mspx

http://www.ghacks.net/2007/02/28/an-unidentified-program-wants-access-to-your-computer/

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6143428.html

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2007, 16:14 

I looked into this a bit more as I know the file is safe ...
As you say in your first post it is just Vista being paranoid and it just wants confirmation from you that the file is OK.

After a quick google I found these ... they should help to explain ... 8)

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/0eeb9ddd-ddaa-4cc5-a092-9908305665471033.mspx

http://www.ghacks.net/2007/02/28/an-unidentified-program-wants-access-to-your-computer/

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877_11-6143428.html

Interesting, thanks for posting these. I am still confused though why when I write a simple C++ application and run it, I don't get this message, and I am not signing my exe digitally. What is it about that app that makes that show up?

I think you're right its probably safe.