Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 05:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 16:58 
Insiders
Insiders

Doom 3 went open source awhile back, and I've been working on adding proper aspect ratio support. I think it's looking pretty good now, so here it is:

How to use:
Two things to keep in mind, that might prevent some confusion.

1: This is not a "fix" per se, but rather a new version of the game. It does not include data files or CD keys - those must be acquired from an official version of the game.

2: Having both the official version and the WSGF version on your hard drive, side-by-side, is advisable for bugtesting purposes. But it will require an additional 1.5GB of space. You can probably bypass this by using the fs_base command line parameter instead of copying stuff, but I haven't tested it.

So first, you need to have the full version of Doom 3 installed, updated to version 1.3.1. It's available on Steam, which should also automatically apply the updates.

Download this: (link removed)

Unpack it somewhere. Do not just copy the files to the Doom 3 directory - this will cause crashes. Instead, go to where the whole game is installed, go to its "base" directory. Select these files:
DoomConfig.cfg (optional)
doomkey
pak000.pk4 and all other files beginning with pak and ending with pk4
xpkey (if you have it)

Copy them to the "base" directory of the directory you just unpacked. Do NOT copy any of the "gameXX.pk4" files. They will crash the game.

If you have the expansion pack too, you will also want to copy these files from the old "d3xp" to the new "d3xp"
DoomConfig.cfg (optional)
pak000.pk4 and all other files beginning with pak and ending with pk4

Again, leave the "gameXX.pk4" files alone.

Run the game once, set your detail levels, then quit. Go to the game directory, open the folder "base," and edit the file "DoomConfig.cfg" with a text editor.
First, if this contains any line that sets "cg_fov," remove it. The old FOV behavior assumes a baseline aspect ratio of 4:3 and uses a default value of 90. The new FOV behavior assumes a baseline aspect ratio of 1:1 and uses a default value of 75, and dynamically adjusts from there (at 4:3, the H-FOV will come out to approximately 90).
Next, find the line containing seta r_mode. Make it -1. This tells Doom 3 to use a custom resolution, and also to enable non-4:3 aspect ratio support.
Then find the lines containing seta r_customHeight and seta r_customWidth. Change them to your desired resolution, and be careful not to confuse them.
Finally, find the line containing seta r_aspectRatio. Make it 0. I have changed the behavior from the original - a value of 0 will automatically calculate your proper aspect ratio. You can also manually set it. A value of 1.78, for instance, will force a 16:9 aspect ratio regardless of your resolution (r_mode must still be -1, or this will have no effect).

If you have the expansion pack or any mods, you must repeat this process for each of them. Run the mod, set your detail levels, quit, go to the appropriate folder (d3xp for the expansion), change the settings in "DoomConfig.cfg" appropriately.

This works in tallscreen too, albeit with some HUD quirks I haven't figured out how to fix yet.

There's one very big limitation to this. Mods seem to make this crash. I haven't figured out how to fix this yet. I also haven't had a whole lot of luck with multiplayer - the handful of servers out there seem to either require "pure" clients (which this isn't), or use mods.

Post subject: The_cranky_hermit
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 18:00 

First, you need to have the full version of Doom 3 installed, updated to version 1.3.

1.3 not 1.3.1 ?
I ask because the 1.3.1 update broke the gtx graphics mod that worked fine with 1.3

Post subject: I can test it, btw what
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 18:26 
Editors
Editors

I can test it, btw what should be the difference, at multi-monitor resolutions, between this solution and the old one thats included in the DR - http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/doom-3 ?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 20:41 
Insiders
Insiders

I ask because the 1.3.1 update broke the gtx graphics mod that worked fine with 1.3

1.3.1. My mistake.

what should be the difference, at multi-monitor resolutions, between this solution and the old one thats included in the DR - http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/doom-3 ?

The old solution doesn't do multi-mon right at all. And the HUD/UI stretches at anything other than 4:3.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2011, 22:23 

ive got a box copy of doom 3, never updated it, never added any expansions and only has like 1 mod i never use.
i might give it a shot

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 22:49 
Editors
Editors

Man oh man. Reinstalling now.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 17:02 
Editors
Editors

This is working great. Can't find any way to use hi-res texture mods, but Evilengine's Enhanced Models pak works ok.

One blemish though, the zoom is very limited in widescreen. Doom3 is a "hip shooter" at heart, but in a game with no iron sights, the zoom was quite useful. Not to mention some easter eggs, like the one involving reading a monitor screen over a certain NPC's shoulder, are also harder to catch.

Zooming in on the guard's helmet from the beginning of the game:

4:3

16:10

The zoom is roughly 1.5x more powerful in 4:3 than in WS/TH.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 21:42 
Insiders
Insiders

Can you post the source (or diff files) for your changes? I have some ideas.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2012, 21:49 
Editors
Editors

For some reason I remember playing Doom 3 in Eyefinity.

Maybe I was just playing vert- and didnt even notice.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2012, 12:54 
Editors
Editors

Read previous replies...
The game stretches by default. Old Surround solution was Hor+ enough, but not perfectly Hor+ for all aspects. All 2D elements (crosshair, PDA, FMVs) would just stretch. RoE's grabber gun had FOV issues, too.

This is a much better solution for D3 and RoE's campaigns, in both WS and TH.