Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 09:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2010, 10:40 

2x5850s have the same performance as the 5970 only in stock! 2x5870s are 10% faster than the 5970 (both stock).

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 04:50 

I just bought 2 xfx 5870's and 2 more screens. Mixed feelings so far. On one hand crossfire and eyefinity is broken, most games are a stuttering and or screen tearing mess. On the good side crossfire and a single screen you can run every game maxed out to the hills including crysis.

Buyer beware if you thinkk eyefinity and crossfire will be headache free. When eyefintiy is working its fantastic but honestly if anyone on these forums with 2 5870's and 3 screens is gaming at 60 fps with no stuttering and or screen tearing speak up. Forcing v-sync in eyefinity mode is hard to do sometimes.. if you use to d3doverrider or something of that nature to handle your screen corruption you cant use it when in eyefinity mode. Unless of course there are multiple problems causing alot of people on the forums similar issues which is possible.

I havent had alot of problems using eyefintiy and 1 card but sometimes the performance hit sucks.

I'm with you on this. Just added a second 5870 the other day and with eyefinity its certainly a mixed bag. Wanting to run Bad Company 2 at higher settings was my motivation and unfortunately while the frames reported are good it does not feel smooth, there is that stuttering feeling present. One card is far smoother even though the frames reported are a little less. On the other hand COD4 and Hawx runs pretty well and feels fairly smooth. I really hope eyefinity + CFX improves soon or I will just sell the second 5870.

From what I've come across on other threads the 5970 doesn't suffer this stuttering problem that 2 x 5870s seem to have. Can anyone confirm this?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 05:19 

I havent had alot of problems using eyefintiy and 1 card but sometimes the performance hit sucks.

I'm with you on this. Just added a second 5870 the other day and with eyefinity its certainly a mixed bag. Wanting to run Bad Company 2 at higher settings was my motivation and unfortunately while the frames reported are good it does not feel smooth, there is that stuttering feeling present. One card is far smoother even though the frames reported are a little less. On the other hand COD4 and Hawx runs pretty well and feels fairly smooth. I really hope eyefinity + CFX improves soon or I will just sell the second 5870.

From what I've come across on other threads the 5970 doesn't suffer this stuttering problem that 2 x 5870s seem to have. Can anyone confirm this?

The 5970 have their own specific eyefinity drivers I think which could explain any differences.

I'm actually in a similar boat. I really like my 5870, but some games are really feeling the hit in triple wide. I'm also waiting for benches of the 2 GB version to see if the extra RAM helps at extreme resolutions.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 17:10 

Hm I was planning on adding a 2nd 5770 to my system next week in Crossfire to handle Eyefinity but now I don't know if I should add the 2nd 5770 or sell the one I have and buy a 5850. Need more comprehensive reviews :)

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 20:00 

I've been playing at 6060x1080 resolution for about a week now with a single HD5870 and I have to say I am really happy (and surprised) with the performance I am getting.

You can't "Max" games but I am still able to use all high settings in all the games I have tried. HAWX runs fine maxed with 2xAA, Just Cause 2 runs smoothly at a mix of high/medium settings, and even Crysis runs alright at "High" settings w/o AA.

I'd say it is certainly worth it to go Eyefinity even if it means lowering a few settings.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 23:45 

So the 5850's didn't last too long as I wound up getting a Sapphire 5970 from newegg by luck (and thx to nowinstock.net). I have had it running with my eyefinity rig for about 2 weeks now and I must say I am thoroughly impressed with it. I've played DiRT2, BF:BC2, AvP, DoWII and DA:O all in eyefinity with settings at mostly high (had to turn down AA and AF usually to 2 or 4 depending on the game, but everything else was able to stay at high including HBAO in BF:BC2) and I am getting what I consider to be extremely playable frame rates (anything above 30fps and I am happy). Everything is smooth as silk. I'm loving it.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 23:51 

So the 5850's didn't last too long as I wound up getting a Sapphire 5970 from newegg by luck (and thx to nowinstock.net). I have had it running with my eyefinity rig for about 2 weeks now and I must say I am thoroughly impressed with it. I've played DiRT2, BF:BC2, AvP, DoWII and DA:O all in eyefinity with settings at mostly high (had to turn down AA and AF usually to 2 or 4 depending on the game, but everything else was able to stay at high including HBAO in BF:BC2) and I am getting what I consider to be extremely playable frame rates (anything above 30fps and I am happy). Everything is smooth as silk. I'm loving it.

Glad to hear the 5970 is running smooth for you. I take it your 5850s in CFX did not do it for you. Were the reported frames good but the experience not completely smooth like my experience with 5870s in CFX?

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 23:56 

Glad to hear the 5970 is running smooth for you. I take it your 5850s in CFX did not do it for you. Were the reported frames good but the experience not completely smooth like my experience with 5870s in CFX?

Actually the 5850's were fine, I just had the opportunity to grab a 5970 and went for it. I personally wanted the extra slots open in my case for a dedicated PhysX card which I will be getting shortly. Then I can have the best of both worlds! :D

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 02:53 

Over the past month or 2 since I posted in this thread I have been much happier with my eyefinity investment. Crossfire is definatly improved quite a bit when using eyefinity. I have been playing Stalker cop (suprised it runs well) DoW 40,000 looks great and runs great, Just Cause 2 is unreal.. unfortunatly even at the res of 5040x1050 the game isnt quite as smooth as i would like, Torchlight (no big deal here), MW2, Grid, BC2, and Half life 2 ep 1 and 2. For soem reason Left 4 Dead 2 has a screen tearing issue when in eyefinity mode and I still dont think Dragon Age works correctly. I am definatly happy how things have turned out so far.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 03:49 

Over the past month or 2 since I posted in this thread I have been much happier with my eyefinity investment. Crossfire is definatly improved quite a bit when using eyefinity. I have been playing Stalker cop (suprised it runs well) DoW 40,000 looks great and runs great, Just Cause 2 is unreal.. unfortunatly even at the res of 5040x1050 the game isnt quite as smooth as i would like, Torchlight (no big deal here), MW2, Grid, BC2, and Half life 2 ep 1 and 2. For soem reason Left 4 Dead 2 has a screen tearing issue when in eyefinity mode and I still dont think Dragon Age works correctly. I am definatly happy how things have turned out so far.

Good to hear you're relatively happy. What chipset is your motherboard. Just wondering if you're running your cards in x8/x8 mode versus the full x16/16. Just came across this review ( http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1472/intel_p45_vs_x48_crossfire_performance/index7.html ) of P45 vs X48 chipsets in crossfire and the differences are quite big particularly at high resolutions. Can only imagine what a P45 chipset (which I'm using) is holding eyefinity performance back in crossfire.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next