Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 11:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 06:15 

[quote][quote]Can you setup all 3 screens in clone mode (so that all 3 screens show the same desktop picture)? Remove all groups before this.

This might be a stupid question, but are you using windows XP by any chance? Eyefinity doesn't work in XP.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit with the 10.2 catalyst suite. MSI tech support told me I still needed an active displayport adaptor even though my monitor has displayport. That's not true is it?

I suppose I could try 32 bit Windows 7 and or the 10.3 drivers.

MSI is wrong. AMD recommends Displayport monitor over the use of adapter (under display configurations):
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/eyefinity/tips-and-tools/Pages/tips-and-tools.aspx

There is a setup guide there also for 3 screens.

You have everything that you need for Eyefinity. I can't figure out why it doesn't work. Use the setup guide and see if you have done everything correct:
http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/Setup_Guides.pdf

You have:
Windows 7 or Vista - check
Eyefinity capable GFX card - check
Two displays connected to either HDMI or VGA - check
One display connected to display port via native DP or adapter - check

You could try to install 10.3, but it should work with 10.2 anyway. Going 32-bit is a waste of time.

Do as following. Uninstall then previous drivers. Before restart, go into display manager and manually change the display drivers to standard vga.
Go into:
C:UsersTamlin(change to your username)AppDataLocalATIACE
Delete the whole folder.

Restart and then install the 10.3. Remember to right-click on the install file and "run as administrator". . :)

I read all the docs and followed the given procudere. I even went as far as to reinstall windows and then install the catalyst 10.3 suite. I guess I'm going to purchase an active displayport adaptor and see it that works. If that still doesn't woirk I'll return the video card and the adaptor.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 08:22 

I dont think you should get an active adapter. If anything, I would swap the card for another one.

Maybe you have the wrong DVI plugged in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyefinity#Multi-display_technologies

Try changing the plug.

Although if you are willing to drop 100$ on a plug, why not get a 58x0 instead?

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 17:17 

I dont think you should get an active adapter. If anything, I would swap the card for another one.

Maybe you have the wrong DVI plugged in?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyefinity#Multi-display_technologies

Try changing the plug.

Although if you are willing to drop 100$ on a plug, why not get a 58x0 instead?

you're right. I'm going to give MSI tech support one more chance. After that I'll return the card and get a 5750 or 5770 and a power supply to handle the thing.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 18:47 

I called MSI tech support twice, They finally admited it only supports 2 displays, even thought the back of the box says it supports 3 when using a display port monitor. Won't be buying an MSI card again.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 21:07 

I was able to RMA the MSI 5670. I just ordered the XFX 5770 and an Antec 650 watt power supply as a replacement. Surely that will work with my setup.

thanks for everyone's help!

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 23:53 

Thats odd, I thought the entire 5000 line was suppose to support 3.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2010, 22:50 

I got my 5770 with the 10.3 preview installed. With no issues at all, I'm able to make any combination of 3 duplicated, extended, and / or grouped displays. I couldn't do anything with a 4th display but I wasn't expecting to.

I don't have much faith in the 56XX or lower cards for eyefinity, but the 57XX cards seem to have no issues.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2010, 22:54 

Thats odd, I thought the entire 5000 line was suppose to support 3.

Yeah,
Maybe eyefinity just means the ability to group 2 or more displays? I suppose if that's the case then they do probably all support eyefinity.

I also noticed that about half of the 5670 cards on newegg do not mention eyefinity support.

Maybe someone more knowlegable then me can clear that up?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 00:09 

The lower end 56xx series cards have been more customized by OEMs than the higher end models.. some of them may be crippling certain features to save money on production costs.

I've seen several cards that don't even have a displayport output.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2010, 04:27 

after I returned the MSI 5670 and got the XFX 5770 up and working. MSI sent me an email saying they updated the video card bios to resolve this issue.

oh well.