Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 17:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 10.9 Drivers Are Out
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 06:31 

In fact, ATI/AMD has teamed up with STEAM to do driver updates. So, if you have a Steam account, check for driver updates there as well as, or instead of, going to the website.

Otherwise, start here:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Known Issues Under All Windows Operating Systems

The following section provides a summary of open issues that may be experienced under
the Windows operating system in the latest version of Catalyst™. These include:
-Catalyst™ Control Center: Enable dialog reposition does not show on proper monitor when system is configured with 4 displays

Performance Improvements

The following performance gains are noticed with this release of Catalyst™ 10.9:
-STALKER: Call of Pripyat Benchmark
-Performance increases up to 20% on ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series single and CrossFire™ configurations with Enhanced full dynamic lighting (DX11) and anti-aliasing enabled
-Performance increases up to 12% on ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 Series single and CrossFire™ configurations with Enhanced full dynamic lighting (DX11) and anti-aliasing enabled
-The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
-Performance increases up to 4% on ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 Series single and CrossFire™ configurations
-Performance increases up to 4% on ATI Radeon™ HD 4800 Series single and CrossFire™ configurations
-Performance increases up to 5% on ATI Radeon™ HD 5800 Series single and CrossFire™ configurations

Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System

This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst™
Software Suite for Windows 7. These include:
-UVD clocks will now return to normal speeds after switching from HD to SD content
-Flickering no longer visible while running 3D games on HDMI displays with Quad CrossFire™ enabled
-Mesh corruption is no longer visible in "The Chronicles of Riddick 2: Assault on Dark Athena" when SSAO in-game setting is set to high
-CrossFire™ now functions properly and in-game Anti-Aliasing can now be enabled in "StarCraft II"
-Adobe Flash Player will no longer display green screen after resume from sleep
-Negative CrossFire™ scaling on "Final Fantasy-XIV" no longer occurs
-Intermittent perfomance drops no longer observed with harware cursor enabled in "World of Warcraft" game in extended mode

Resolved Issues for the Windows Vista Operating System

This section provides information on resolved issues in this release of the ATI Catalyst™
Software Suite for Windows Vista. These include:
-AVI video no longer lags during playback within Microsoft PowerPoint slide deck
-Desktop corruption no longer occurs during PowerDVD SD/Blu-ray content playback on 120Hz displays
-Choppy HD playback no longer occurs while changing color vibrance and fleshtonecorrection in Catalyst™ Control Center - Advanced Color

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

Post subject: Re: 10.9 Drivers Are Out
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 07:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Plus a 10.9a hotfix for a couple 4xxx cards.

Hopefully this set is kinder to me than 10.8.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 11:30 

Didn't fix mouse corruption.

Bezel compensation still not available on unmatched panels even if same res (but different physical sizes).

Is there some technical reason why we can't have bezel comp when 1 or 2 monitors aren't exactly the same? LFS ingame lets you set bezel comp and it works fairly well even with one of my side monitors being a bit taller. Certainly better than no bezel comp at all.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 13:36 
Editors
Editors

The hotfix is supposed to fix the overscan not sticking bug. :)

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 18:15 

Updates through Steam, now there's an intriguing thing.

I've decided to give this option a shot and just updated my rather outdated graphics drivers through Steam (was on 10.2 I think).

Seems to have gone great, although I haven't run any games yet. My only issue is that it failed to mention the requirement for a reboot, so at first I thought it had screwed up my max resolution. But the reboot fixed any gripes.

Now how about I update those sound drivers through windows update...

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 22:38 

Plus a 10.9a hotfix for a couple 4xxx cards.

Hopefully this set is kinder to me than 10.8.

Actually, per discussions I've seen elsewhere, the Hotfix 10.9a is good for all cards. There are more fixes than just for the "x" cards.

Here's the link....

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst109Hotfix.aspx

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2010, 23:38 

Updates through Steam, now there's an intriguing thing.

I've decided to give this option a shot and just updated my rather outdated graphics drivers through Steam (was on 10.2 I think).

Seems to have gone great, although I haven't run any games yet. My only issue is that it failed to mention the requirement for a reboot, so at first I thought it had screwed up my max resolution. But the reboot fixed any gripes.

Now how about I update those sound drivers through windows update...

I'm curious to know how that radeon driver install goes via Steam when it comes to a custom install. Does the Steam installer allow you the option to choose custom over express? I reckon its pretty handy for Steam users to be able to get their ATI graphics driver updates, but I would want to be able to opt out of the extra stuff like the hdmi audio driver and game trials etc. that the express install of catalyst drivers normally puts on.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010, 00:55 
Insiders
Insiders

I had a good laugh when Steam put that info window up.

I'd be as likely to use that as letting Windows Update do it.

Edit: Well i just put 10.9 on and it's fine, but as with 10.8, my newly-created Eyefinity profile loads left and center displays cloned, with right as disabled.... Enabling Group works and loads EF profiles just fine, though. Well, i guess it just uses the same settings as the profile - color, res, and bezel correction. Loading Extended profiles still work fine on first attempt.

I expect the cursor corruption of rear its' head before long. Oh ATI, I love your hardware, yet i want to strangle your driver team.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010, 11:16 

I'm curious to know how that radeon driver install goes via Steam when it comes to a custom install. Does the Steam installer allow you the option to choose custom over express? I reckon its pretty handy for Steam users to be able to get their ATI graphics driver updates, but I would want to be able to opt out of the extra stuff like the hdmi audio driver and game trials etc. that the express install of catalyst drivers normally puts on.

It seemed to be the normal driver download which automatically started and did its work independantly from Steam. Nothing fancy. Although I did seem to miss a custom/express option. But that may well be my memory failing me.

And is it me, or do videos play more crappy now on Steam?

Dirt2 was great though, except the publisher fmv's at first, which were choppy.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010, 22:10 
Editors
Editors

Still no fix for the Q3 engine problem? I'm surprised AMD has allowed the issue to persist this long. I still have to use a 10.4 OGL dll to get Q3 engine games to function. I'll echo Abram on this one...love my 5850 hardware, but steadily losing confidence in driver support.