Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 07:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 12:59 

Probably been dabbling with Eyefinity for the last 18 months now,started using a 5770 (not really powerful enough at the time ) so upgraded to 5970 ( very nice card ),and so the next logical upgrade for me was the 6990 ( Awesome ).

Now,probably like alot of you out there,I do play quite a lot of FPS games........but I personally don't think I see Eyefinity at its best on these games.

Let me explain.......

Because of having to use the keyboard & mouse combo,I have to sit quite close to the middle monitor,and I don't really get the full affect of Eyefinity from the 2 outer screens.

You do however,get the full affect in racing games,because you are sitting back,either using a steering wheel or like me,using the XBOX 360 controller and it looks fantastic !

Also,flight sims looks fantastic in Eyefinity as well,because again you are sitting further back away from the monitors,because you are probably using a joystick throttle.

One of the games that I do enjoy playing is Just Cause 2,and because its not a game where shooting is as accurate as other shooters,you can get away with using the XBOX 360 controlller,and this game looks absolutely stunning in Eyefinity.

So in a nutshell,I love Eyefinity,think its fantastic.........wouldn't go back to single screen now.......but its a bit of a shame that you don't really get the full affect when sitting too close to the middle screen,no fault of Eyefinity as this a trait of all surround setups.

I know a lot of what I have said is fairly obvious and probably been said before.......but these are just my thoughts anyway :)

Case : Lian Li PC-A77FA Motherboard : Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z CPU : i7 2600k@3.40 Memory : Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz GPU : MSI 680 GTX Lightning Screens : 3 x Dell U2311H PSU : Corsair AX1200 Hardrive : 1 x Western Digital 1TB SATA III 6

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 15:20 
Insiders
Insiders

What about running portrait when not using racing games? Should help you see more of the other 2 screens!

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2011, 16:27 

What about running portrait when not using racing games? Should help you see more of the other 2 screens!

I did already think off that,but wouldn't want the hassle of keep rotating the screens to play different games........

Case : Lian Li PC-A77FA Motherboard : Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z CPU : i7 2600k@3.40 Memory : Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz GPU : MSI 680 GTX Lightning Screens : 3 x Dell U2311H PSU : Corsair AX1200 Hardrive : 1 x Western Digital 1TB SATA III 6

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2011, 00:31 

Why do you sit so close to your monitor in FPS-games then? :) Is it becuase of lack of space on your desk or becuse you want to look closer at your screen to spot/aim at enemies better? Maybe you should consider getting bigger monitors, or just a bigger middle-monitor ;) Or maybe move your side-monitors to a tighter angle.

Personally I dont tend to sit too close to my monitors when playing any game at all. I like to lean back in my chair when playing, and occasionally roll closer to the desk when I'm concentrating on certain pixels. But I dont play fast intense FPS-games much, but more ArmA2, Stalker, Fallout 3 and Oblivion.
Something I didnt think about before using Eyefinity however is how damn hot it becomes around the three screens :P Especially now during summer it becomes horribly warm and greasy in the room when playing with eyefinity during daytime. With Duke Nukem last week I had to wait until evening to be able to play.

Btw, 6990 certainly kicks ass :cheers

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2011, 03:08 

Buy/build a large desk with a long extendable keyboard tray. That works fine for me as long as I keep my monitors pushed back.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 00:52 

I sit about 30-35" away from middle monitor and love playing FPS games in eyefinity.. I had to mod my desk "ghetto style" to get everything comfortable though.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 17:17 

Why do you sit so close to your monitor in FPS-games then? :) Is it becuase of lack of space on your desk or becuse you want to look closer at your screen to spot/aim at enemies better? Maybe you should consider getting bigger monitors, or just a bigger middle-monitor ;) Or maybe move your side-monitors to a tighter angle.

Personally I dont tend to sit too close to my monitors when playing any game at all. I like to lean back in my chair when playing, and occasionally roll closer to the desk when I'm concentrating on certain pixels. But I dont play fast intense FPS-games much, but more ArmA2, Stalker, Fallout 3 and Oblivion.
Something I didnt think about before using Eyefinity however is how damn hot it becomes around the three screens :P Especially now during summer it becomes horribly warm and greasy in the room when playing with eyefinity during daytime. With Duke Nukem last week I had to wait until evening to be able to play.

Btw, 6990 certainly kicks ass :cheers

Well the desk is only 600 deep,and probably sit closer to aim better,especailly with Day Of Defeat.

But I think I will try setting the keyboard & mouse up a bit better, so than I can sit further away.

Yeah,the 6990 is an awesome card indeed........A very nice one card solution for triple screen.