Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 Sep 2024, 04:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 05:01 

So I was right about to place my order on newegg, then i started reading on here a bit (thank god I did)...

1. Screen tearing
A. I read that the flex cards fix this issue
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102929
such as this card, Is this true or what exactly?

B. and do I not need to buy a DP adapter if i buy that card?

2. Monitor compatability
This was my original choice, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009315
but it only has 2 HDMI inputs and that is it. Will that cause any type of problems? If so there are these alternatives

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009244
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009255
or anything else you would suggest

3. Video Card
Is that saphire card flashable to a 6970? i originally was going to go with an XFX version until i found out about the screen tearing. any disadvantages to Saphire?

4. For you eyefinity guys do you think that 23" for a monitor is too small? is the bezel on any of those monitors too big?

thanks

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 18:15 

I've been doing eyefinity for a few weeks now.

I would recommend getting monitors that have VGA inputs as well as hdmi/dvi. One of the monitors needs to be display port, which means that unless you buy expensive displayport monitors, you will need an adapter. The passive displayport->VGA adapters work well if you have no intention of running beyond 1080p on each monitor. The active adapters required for digital formats are more problematic.

I have read that you want to be using the same kind of input on each monitor to avoid tearing and other artifacts, but I cant really confirm this as I haven't had any problems. I purchased three refurb dell 22" monitors with vga/dvi inputs, am using the vga cables that came with the monitors, and a $10 vga adapter from ebay and having no display probems.

The biggest problem with eyefinity is software support. Only a select few titles run perfectly out of the box, many have problems with menu scaling and sometimes become unplayable because of strange behaviro in eyefinity.

When it works it is wonderful, but you need to research each game you buy very carefully to see if it will work properly and temper your expectations.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2011, 22:18 
Editors
Editors

1.A FLEX Version is the ONLY HD6000 Card which you can use 2x DVI and 1x HDMI Output! So would be best to connect 2 Monitors with DVI and one with HDMI.
With a normal card you can only do 2x DVI and 2 DIsplay Port. or 1x DVI 1x HDMI and 2x Display Port. Therefor, if you don't have a Display with a Displayport You'll need a Mini Displayport to HDMI/DVI/VGA active adapter!

1.B Like said. FLEX works with 2x DVI and 1x HDMI. If your Display has a port for DVI/HDMI you dont ned any adapter.

2: What? Monitor with 2x HDMI Input? Do you want to put 2 computers on one screen ? You only need one HDMI or one DVI or one Display port input per screen.
(Daisy Chain (or was it chain-link?) Only works with Display Port and not with HDMI right?)

3. I think you cannot flash a FLEX Card, but thats no Problem, Overclock a little and you nearly as much performance as a 6970!

4. I also got 3 23" Dell Monitors. They're bigger than my old 22", but sometimes i do think a 27" Screen would be better xD But not while Playing... when you play you focus on the game content, so its no problem, same goes for Bezels. You're gonna ignore them after 5 minutes playing!
The Problem with 27" is, they're 2600x1400 (or something like that) resolution. 1. Need way more GPU Power. 2. The Screens are way to expensive!

Post subject: thanks a lot Haldi you
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 04:46 

thanks a lot Haldi you cleared up all my questions