Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 22:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 21:27 

Will be upgrading soon and tempted to go for eyeinfinty,
will this setup work?
2 x 19inch (DVI non widescreen) and Dell 21.5 P2210H (displayport)
ATI 5850 gfx.
running res of 1280x1024 across all screens 3840x1024, i know that the dell
wont be running at its native res, think* i could cope with this.
also the 19inchs are very close regarding screen height which looks ok.
will be playing call of duty 4 / MW2 and GTR2.

im new to mm and i think ive covered most of it ;-)

thx in adv

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 22:02 

Yes this would work, limitations of eyefinity are only, that each screen has to run at the same resolution, and they have to all be in the same rotation.

So if you are happy with the screen running out of there native res it will be fine.

You may find it heloful to have a few profiles set up, so that windows will have all 3 panels running at there native res so images are sharp, and when you want to play games turn on the SLS as non native screen res's wont be so obvious when gaming.

Just remember that in the current CCC you will need to hot-key profiles and press the button 3 times to change between SLS and Extended modes.

ta

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 06:17 

you going to have to get softTH involved... unless you want to run the game in windowed mode which eats up performance..

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 02:10 

Yes this would work, limitations of eyefinity are only, that each screen has to run at the same resolution, and they have to all be in the same rotation.

So if you are happy with the screen running out of there native res it will be fine.

You may find it heloful to have a few profiles set up, so that windows will have all 3 panels running at there native res so images are sharp, and when you want to play games turn on the SLS as non native screen res's wont be so obvious when gaming.

Just remember that in the current CCC you will need to hot-key profiles and press the button 3 times to change between SLS and Extended modes.

ta

you going to have to get softTH involved... unless you want to run the game in windowed mode which eats up performance..

so i can run the 3 monitors @ diff resolutions when not gaming, i was thinking i would have to go single monitor in windows :-)
i'l get into the softTH settings when i get the hardware sorted, been watching the threads on the VGA > DP adaptors, if this works ok
i'l use my benq 24" and two 19" (NW). tho there is reports of blinking using the adaptor, possible fix is flashing the bios.
ATI 5850 are out of stock everywhere (uk) at the min, so hopefully the bios is upto date when i do get it.

another route i could take is Matrox TH2Go, would my ati 4870 cope with 3840x1024 ? any ideas

thx 4 replys :-)

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 00:58 

As an interim setup, I've just been playing with a 24" center and 19" sides, all running 1680x1050 - and it's surprisingly OK.

You can't really directly regard the side monitors, and so the overall effect is quite convincing.

I'm still going with 3 32" LCD's, but this is pretty good too. I would think your setup (center 21.5 and side 19's) would be just fine.

Post subject: Re: Re: UPDATE:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2010, 01:12 

ta

[quote]you going to have to get softTH involved... unless you want to run the game in windowed mode which eats up performance..

so i can run the 3 monitors @ diff resolutions when not gaming, i was thinking i would have to go single monitor in windows :-)
i'l get into the softTH settings when i get the hardware sorted, been watching the threads on the VGA > DP adaptors, if this works ok
i'l use my benq 24" and two 19" (NW). tho there is reports of blinking using the adaptor, possible fix is flashing the bios.
ATI 5850 are out of stock everywhere (uk) at the min, so hopefully the bios is upto date when i do get it.

another route i could take is Matrox TH2Go, would my ati 4870 cope with 3840x1024 ? any ideas

thx 4 replys :-)

UPDATE:
hi peeps, got it running (see link below) for a day then next day, the display wouldnt come on! tried everything,
I then tried it on my media centre pc, working fine, been testing it for a few days. tried it in my pc again same thing,
I could get it to power up about 1 out of 20 times. (both ps'c got same 600watt PSU) my old card 4870 no probs with it at all.
seems like there is quite a few having the same probs (see link below) seems like a motherboard incompatibility, needing a bios update.
couriers are coming to pickup card on thurs for (refund) rma, do i cancel rma and change motherboards over and do complete reinstall
on both pc's? or go ahead with rma and buy another card (they are creeping up in price) and wait til next stock arrives :-(

thx 4 lookin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=1HFzAa7cxHI

one of many forums i found..
http://superuser.com/questions/59473/new-radeon-5850-video-cards-fan-occasionally-runs-at-full-speed-and-pc-doesnt-b