Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 03:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 09:31 

Thanks for all the info again.

AA could be it. I literally can't start the game to get to the options, though I had a little bit of luck with a text file I found to edit some configs. Was a bit of a hack job though.

Can I just force AA to disabled in the Catalyst Control Panel? That would over-ride in-game settings, correct?

The other thing I noticed while doing some reading was there is a post-9.12 hotfix available. I've not installed it as it's supposed to fix Eyefinity crossfire in multi-card solutions (ie, the 5970 isn't supposed to need it) but should I install it?

I normally have the attitude of don't install a hotfix unless you definately need it ;)

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 14:32 

Don't know if the CCC panel overrides in-game settings, but can you not simply disable Eyefinity and run the game on a single 2560x1600 first? That should always run and it will allow you to disable AA. After that you enable Eyefinity and change the resolution to 7680x1600.

I would install the hotfix as I think it allowed me to run allmost every game in crossfire with a 5970 as opposed to the short White list before that. Maybe the problem is that you are just using a single core? One way to find that out is by right-clicking the ATI logo in the taskbar, highlighting 1. ATI Radeon HD 5900 series and under CrossfireX settings choosing Show Status Icon (what do you mean CCC not user friendly?). That should show you a big logo in your right corner when you run a game in Crossfire.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 21:03 

Wanted to jump in, as I have the exact same setup, Single 5970 (was dual but one card had to be RMA'd) with 3x dell 30's

My experience has been the same... I'm concerned about being able to drive those ultra high resolutions too, but my plan right now is to run with 2x 5970's. Now though, even with the 9.12 hotfix quad GPU's don't work with eyefinity (HORRIBLE framerates), hopefully that's resolved in the next driver release.

I definitely wouldn't give up the 3x 30's though... Even if we can't drive them effectively, graphics horsepower will only increase in the future and we'll be able to drive them (as long as we have top-end cards). I've been really impressed with the ability of 1 5970 to handle 7680x1600 so far, we'll see what quadfire support adds.

My feeling is if I can run at 7680 at an acceptable framerate, then I will, if not, then I still have a single 2560 display that I can run with maxed out settings (2x 5970's)... Not complaining either way :cheers

I run the hotfix driver and I haven't really noticed a difference at least in the games I play.

I use afterburner and a g19 to monitor GPU clocks, temps, and load while in games and benchmarks. You can use this to see if both cores are really working, and how hard. It works great, most useful feature of the g19 so far lol... Well that, coretemp, and the ability to see whats playing in my winamp stream.. Just a warning though, I've found the user definied auto fan control in afterburner to cause some stuttering (make sure it's disabled), same with fraps, asus gamer OSD, and the rivatuner stats server.

Two of my favorite eyefinity demo apps in desktop mode... Google Earth and Winamp fullscreen milkdrop visualizations... Awesome..

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2010, 22:02 
Insiders
Insiders

There are basically 2 things i see you can do.

1. Get the 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition as it's probably have 2 GB of VRAM.
2. Use an EDID mask to run each monitor at 1920x1200 (5760x1200) or 1680x1050 (5040x1050)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2010, 09:27 

Current Status Update :)

I installed the 9.12 Hotfix driver and then ran DoW2. I turned off AA, but left all the other settings to high. It ran FAR better (still not 100% smooth, roughly 60 FPS max and 3 FPS min on the in-game performance tool).

So I'll tweak the settings a bit and see what I can get out of it.

I can't force AA at the moment as the installation of the Hotfix driver has stopped Catalyst appearing : The driver functions ok but obviously I can't change anything :D Seems the solution is to do a full uninstall of the driver + driver clean but I'll wait a few days (as the new driver is due out soon it seems).

Stage 2 will be to do force the medium resolution for the group as well.