Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 Sep 2024, 02:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 13:46 

I'm sorry, but I know that you're not playing NFS Shift "smooth as silk". Even with the latest 1.02 update, try setting up a race with more than 10 opponents. You'll get massive random slowdown - and that's on an i7@4.2Ghz with/without Crossfire.
I played it with six other AI cars, smooth as silk. Now, whether more cars would result in a slowdown, I can't say cuz I haven't tried it yet.

BTW, I can't abide people who presume to know it all, YOU do not know what I had set it at so please don't imply that I'm lying.... :evil:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 14:51 

The image quality loss involved with VGA analog vs a digital source (DVI-D, HDMI, DP) is huge.......

....... LCD's, in particular, just look awful with a non-digital source......

I'll refrain from casting further aspersion until I see it in action.......

Well, actually, when in-game and looking at the 3 monitors, you can't tell the difference.
Yes, if you saw it in action, you'd be whistling a modified aspersion.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 16:07 

I played it with six other AI cars, smooth as silk. Now, whether more cars would result in a slowdown, I can't say cuz I haven't tried it yet.

Then I would suggest actually doing what I said, rather than assuming I'm wrong.

Put 10 or more cars on the grid (like a real race, for God's sake), and see what you get: massive stuttering. This does not occur on Nvidia hardware.

Also, you're glossing over the fact that, in Career mode, all the races have over 10 CPU cars - thus rendering those races only marginally playable. This isn't some tiny little problem - it pretty much breaks the game. Unless, of course, you don't care about the single player career at all (in which case you will never get to drive 80% of the available cars since you'll never level up) , and never race with more than 6 other people.

Sorry - no way is that "smooth as silk". And my system is the same as yours, just with a better CPU. I seriously doubt you'll be getting better performance. So Yes - I think I can intelligently extrapolate that your system will choke just as badly under the same circumstances as mine. If you claim otherwise, I'd like to hear why.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 16:21 

lol 3x 32" I gotta see that let me know when its done and you post pics. My 3x24" is about as big as I can see wanting/needing when I am close, but if you were far away I can see 32" working. I have a 37" right above the 24's for TV viewing and stuff so I can visualize what 3 of those would be like.

Yes, I know it's insane. But when I playing my driving games, I'm sitting quite a way from the screens. It's more akin to the situation of watching TV than playing a typical PC game with your face about 1-2' away. I use a Playseat setup that puts the screens somewhere over my feet. Thats, like, 5 feet away!!

Plus - hey. I'm hoping it makes me wanna puke :o

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 16:26 

[quote]
The image quality loss involved with VGA analog vs a digital source (DVI-D, HDMI, DP) is huge.......

....... LCD's, in particular, just look awful with a non-digital source......

I'll refrain from casting further aspersion until I see it in action.......

Well, actually, when in-game and looking at the 3 monitors, you can't tell the difference.
Yes, if you saw it in action, you'd be whistling a modified aspersion.

Well, then I appreciate the info! That might be a great back-up plan in case my current adapter starts acting up again.

I agree with you that the image in the side monitors is so distorted anyway that the difference would probably be negligible. I just had to think about it for a while :wink:

After all, that's why I'm going with just 720p LCD's on the side. What I'm a little worried about is sacrificing sharpness on that center monitor as well.

Wouldn't in be awesome if you could run the center monitor at a higher res than the sides?

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 16:36 
Editors
Editors

kondor999,

Please stop triple posting. Use multiple quotes in a post rather than reposting for every comment.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 00:54 

kondor999,

Please stop triple posting. Use multiple quotes in a post rather than reposting for every comment.

I'll try :)