Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 04:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 06:18 

It's a decent app, but it's worth calling out that caveats. As Dave said earlier, all things being equal, (clockspeed wise) the powerplay features don't impact performance. I've personally proven this through exhaustive benchmarking. (I'm very anal about performance) I don't think Afterburner is a good "daily use" application, but for extreme overclocking it's definitely worth while. With a 2.66 celeron, even overclocking is bound to have a minimal impact since your're very heavily bottlenecked CPU wise.

While you are 100% correct, I would like to say that sometimes changes that don't have much or any impact on performance on a fast system, have a bigger impact and more noticeable on a slower system like mine for example. I can say that disabling PowerPlay did not improve frame rates but it did lessen the swing in frame rates slightly that I experience with this system, which is what I was trying to achieve.

After all this I've ended up scoring a E8400 Core2Duo and EVGA 790i Ultra SLI for $50 off a mate of mine, so I will set all that up once my RAM arrives and hopefully no more crappy frame rates with or without PowerPlay :-D

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 10:31 

Problem is this GPU scaling happens a lot and is terrible for HTPC users. Just dropped in a 5670 to replace my 2900XT I had in my old setup and video/sound crackling is terrible due to this effect from the GPU going up and down. Locking the GPU at one speed instantly resolves this crackling issue.

Im going to have to try the MSI afterburner, ive tried configuring the profiles to fix it and ive also used the AMD tool but upon a reboot it reverts back to normal..