Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 04:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 10.2 Catalyst feedback
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 20:23 

Just wanted to see what kind of experience everyone is having with the cat 10.2

I'm running Phenom2@3.2 with 8Gb Ram
2X HIS Radeon 5850.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Haven't seen any real difference in crossfire eyefinity performance. I still have horrible stuttering in cross-finity (see what i did there?). Anyone have better experience?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 08:35 

I went back to 10.1 coz of crossfire problems in some games, performance in Vantage was about the same though.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 09:12 

good in the games i am currently playing (dirt2, BFBC2). Crysis not happy (stutter) and also, tried to force DX9 in BFBC2, massive flicker (worked in 9.12hf, but no CF).

also, side note, my mouse is working in CS:S and Crysis under Steam (previously, no mouse pointer unless windowed)

ran overdrive auto-tune, came back with 895/1300, however, massive flicker. back to stock clocks which is fine with me really.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 15:00 

Just wanted to see what kind of experience everyone is having with the cat 10.2

I'm running Phenom2@3.2 with 8Gb Ram
2X HIS Radeon 5850.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Haven't seen any real difference in crossfire eyefinity performance. I still have horrible stuttering in cross-finity (see what i did there?). Anyone have better experience?

I have the exact same issue with 2x5870s... With a single 5870 everything run great but with cross-finity huge stuttering issue despite the frame boost! Vsync also doesn't help either.

The proper solution for me is to sell the 5870s and the adapter and get 2xfermi cards that will definitely work with 3 displays.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 16:49 

my performance in source games is really strange. Its not microstuttering, but its stuttering really bad. For example, in Team Fortress2 I am running at 5760x1200 and I can tell the performance is really good, but its like I'm dropping about 5 frames of animation every 1/2 second. I can run with 8x AA on a single 5850 so crossfire should be no problem, but its bizarre. I can adjust the AA levels all I want and it makes no difference. A similar problem happens in GRID, if I try to run any higher than 2xAA then the game grinds to a halt. Not sure if the driver is bringing the second 5850 out of reduced power mode. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2010, 17:08 

I'm a fan, they fixed my two biggest gripes:

1> Main monitor won't properly go into sleep mode (does now)
2> Eyfinity profiles won't load correctly (do now!)

Hooray. I have extensive benchmark results I could post too if people want; I've got a benchmark script that I put driver releases through their paces through, it's just that there is alot of data... Overall this driver was a touch slower than 10.1, but not enough to be noticeable.Note that I'm not running crossfire.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 02:23 

I found sort of a fix. Like I mentioned earlier, I primarily play Source and Codemasters games. I found that if I disable AA in TF2, and enable it in the CCC my performance in Cross-Finity (EyeFire?) is greatly improved. I still get a little bit of stuttering, but this is worlds apart from where the stuttering was greatly affecting playability. Also this seems to be most important

ENABLE VSYNC IN CCC. This has been the biggest performance gain for me. Again I'm using two 5850 crossfired and eyefinitied so maybe this just works for me. Please don't be afraid to try though.

Right now I've got TF2 running 5760x1200 with 16x AA and 16x AF enabled through CCC - in game settings have AA disabled and Trilinear filtering.

GRID is running 5760x1200 with 4x AA and I'm shooting to get 8X AA enabled. Strangely it seems that you can't interrupt the opening animated sequence otherwise the loading screen grinds to slide show speeds.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 03:03 

I found sort of a fix. Like I mentioned earlier, I primarily play Source and Codemasters games. I found that if I disable AA in TF2, and enable it in the CCC my performance in Cross-Finity (EyeFire?) is greatly improved. I still get a little bit of stuttering, but this is worlds apart from where the stuttering was greatly affecting playability. Also this seems to be most important

ENABLE VSYNC IN CCC. This has been the biggest performance gain for me. Again I'm using two 5850 crossfired and eyefinitied so maybe this just works for me. Please don't be afraid to try though.

Right now I've got TF2 running 5760x1200 with 16x AA and 16x AF enabled through CCC - in game settings have AA disabled and Trilinear filtering.

GRID is running 5760x1200 with 4x AA and I'm shooting to get 8X AA enabled. Strangely it seems that you can't interrupt the opening animated sequence otherwise the loading screen grinds to slide show speeds.

I enabled AA (x4) in CCC and VSYNC also. My FPS do not appear to be much different, but, things do seem to be much smoother. Going to play more.

Thanks for the suggestions

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 06:50 

These drivers work okay with a single 5970 for eyefinity but add a 5870 to the mix for some tri-fi and eyefinity doesn't work as the fps TANK beyond belief and it becomes nothing more than a slide show.

Tri-fi 5970 + 5870 works fine with a single monitor but is utterly pathetic when eyefinity is enabled. :roll: :cry:

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2010, 12:42 
Insiders
Insiders

No new resolutions. Going from 10.1 to 10.2 gave me 4-12fps loss in Crysis and GTA IV in Eyefinity. That alone, is enough to go back to 10.1.

I've never had any flicker/line issues, so I cun't speak to that.