Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 05:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 May 2010, 15:18 

Hi, I'm a complete noob and i bought an overpriced alienware pc with the 2g ati radeon 5970 graphics card.

I also decided to buy 3x 24" LCD monitors which have vga/dvi/hdmi ports.

I haven't received my computer yet, but I'm so worried because I've heard there's so many problems with setting up eyefinity but i know it works because I've seen it on youtube :P

So can anyone tell me what adapters/cables i need to buy in order to have the best possible experience with eyefinity? Also, how to set them up.

From my knowledge of browsing all the forums, i should connect the 2 side screens via the DVI ports on the 5970, and i should connect the middle screen via a "Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter" (the one that connects to the minidp port on the 5970 and the USB for power). But i've also heard that this results in flickering or something. THe other alternative i've heard was getting a cable from minidp -> dp. Converting dp -> vga then connecting that to the middle screen. Please feed me your infinite wisdom fellow widescreen gamers :D

Thanks!

PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 00:18 

You need an active minport adapter which has the usb connector to power it. there are posts in this forum on recommended ones and where to buy.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=16942

The flickering issue can usally be sorted by using a powered usb hub for the display adapter if you need to.

As for setup and use, its very simple, just create a group in display properties of cataylst control center and follow the hints. very simple.
Idealy, you should have 3 of the same monitors which should be at least 1080p.

as for issues, There are a few, but its working ok for most people. and its been improved with regular driver updates.
the real issues are for people running crossfire and eyefinity, but a single 5970 will run pretty much everything you need at eyefinity resolutions.

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 01:56 

As stated, just visit that link. And make sure all 3 monitors are the same model. I have no issues at all with my 5970 setup and 3 24" 1080p monitors. I use 2 dvi connections and one mini dp to dvi. I use the Apple version for about $100 or so with no problems at all. No flicker, nada. But I use that as my left monitor. You can put them in any position you want as long as you setup it up correctly in Windows and CCC.

Let us know if you have any issues.

PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 13:33 

Great thanks guys, i haven't received my computer yet however I've got 3 of the same screens which are 1080p. Thanks for reassuring me :) Ill definitely order the apple mini dp -> dvi active converter before my computer arrives.

PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 20:10 

Great thanks guys, i haven't received my computer yet however I've got 3 of the same screens which are 1080p. Thanks for reassuring me :) Ill definitely order the apple mini dp -> dvi active converter before my computer arrives.

Just hold your fingers crossed! Everything would an could work.. But i never had any succes with the Apple one. Also the passive DP to VGA had no dice for me.. Now using the ACCELL mini DP to DVI which works fine with Catalyst 10.3 (and not with 10.4 :evil:)

But then again i have three golden oldy TFT's that are maybe not that forgiving..

And on the other hand, i saw lots of people having succes with both the apple and the (monster) passive adapter..

Just have your setup up and running (clean install etc..) and your three monitors ready and connected.. Then order the adapter of choice and try it out. Everything should work @ the first go, otherwise: return the adapter and get another type!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 23:05 

I have to come back on that Apple comment of mine: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=19299&start=45

Got it working perfectly now with 10.5!

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 11:38 

This is only my own very personal opinion based on my own experience over the past few weeks trying to get a stable Eyefinity setup working. So, take it for what it is.

I tried the route of using the ACCELL Active DisplayPort -> DVI adapter and, although I could get Eyefinity working, it was not stable at all! The screen using that adapter would flicker, go completely off and...very rarely...come back on again. More often than not, I'd have to unplug the USB power source cable and plug it back in.

If you're set on using an active adapter, I would NOT connect it to the center...main screen. I would also not connect it to the left screen. If either of these goes out while you're using Eyefinity, you stand to lose access via the screen to the main Windows Menu or whatever you may have active directly in front of you.

I ended up taking that active adapter back and, a week later, I picked up the PASSIVE DP -> VGA Monster brand adapter. I've now had a stable Eyefinity setup for over a week. One other member here took my lead and did the same. We both are having excellent success with this setup.

With this, I have the adapter screen to the left using the DP->VGA adapter, and am using the DVI -> DVI connection on the other two.

So, although I wish you all the luck in the world, I believe you'll NEED all the luck in the world to get a good working stable setup with the active adapter to DVI. Save the cost and go with the passive adapter like I'm using. It's less than half the cost of the active adapters.

At any rate, good luck!!

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 12:49 

So, although I wish you all the luck in the world, I believe you'll NEED all the luck in the world to get a good working stable setup with the active adapter to DVI. Save the cost and go with the passive adapter like I'm using. It's less than half the cost of the active adapters.

At any rate, good luck!!

Just to put a counter point, I have a 5970, the same active adapter, connected on the left hand screen and have never had a problem, no flickering no blackouts.

Regards
Fred

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 18:23 

[quote]

At any rate, good luck!!

Just to put a counter point, I have a 5970, the same active adapter, connected on the left hand screen and have never had a problem, no flickering no blackouts.

Regards
Fred

Same here for me.. Had lots of problems, Apple works now with 10.5

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 23:07 

Same here. Active adapter (apple), left screen. Never had an issue with flickering. Only time I had issues was when I first started out with eyefinity. All my monitors blanked out when I installed a beta driver. But since it's all been figured out and not a problem at all now with any driver. Some people will have issues. Some will not. Just the nature of computers.

Oh yeah, I'm now on 10.5. No issues with this driver either.