Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 03:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 20:39 

We as users know that quad cfx 5970 + 5970 with eyefinity is a complet broken mess with fps being crippled beyond belief for some unknown reason even though this config of 5970 + 5970 works fine when just using a single monitor.

Tri fire 5970 + 5870 and 3 x 5870 again are completely broken when using an eyefinity setup but also work fine when using just a single monitor.

The question to AMD/ATI is this; do they know about this issue? I ask this because according to another user of quad cfx dual 5970 + eyefinity who sent a support ticket to ATI regarding this issue and got this reply - AMD support claims there is no known performance problem with Eyefinity + 2x 5970 in crossfire.
......the thread is here http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961074

Also one of the mods and an AMD beta tester from Rage3D states; I don't believe the HD 5970 was ever promoted as Eyefinity Crossfire capable with more than one card?

Realy like Dave Bauman to step in here and give a difinitive answer on this as to whether this issue is going to be resolved or whether they will remain mute about the problem so as to not impact future sales of the 5970.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 20:56 

So, do two 5870's work in Crossfire? Does it break at 3+ GPUs?

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2010, 21:41 
Insiders
Insiders

"Works" Yes, but not as it should. The Frames are a laggy mess. They jerk all over the place.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 00:33 

I'm sure it will work properly eventually ... remember EF is still very, very new as a gaming technology

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 00:47 
Founder
Founder

I'm looking at the 5870 and 5970 cards I have here. How do you set them up in CFX? The 5870 has two connectors on the top, and the 5970 only has one. Could that be part of the problem?

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 01:33 

I'm looking at the 5870 and 5970 cards I have here. How do you set them up in CFX? The 5870 has two connectors on the top, and the 5970 only has one. Could that be part of the problem?

To set up the 5970 + 5870 in CFX you need the 5970 in the top primary pci-e slot and the 5870 in the secondary pci-e slot below it and use the crossfire bridge connectot between the two cards.

about the numbers of connectors on the 5970 and 5870 being different I don't think that has anything to do with the problems being illustrated in this thread.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 11:27 

Hey there,

I am in the same situation. I have sent AMD numerous tickets. My first response was rejected by AMD for "inappropriate" language. My second response was a link to 10.2 drivers and a scolding for using caps! Also, this was useless because I was already using 10.2.

My final response was as follows:

"AMD Engineering is working on issues with Eyefinity and CrossFire, unfortunately there is no way to confirm when a specific fix will be issued.

Do you have any issues running either of the 5970's as a single card in the sysetm with poor performance in games using Eyefinity?"

Followed by:

"Please provide the information below, I will get this escalated, but I belive it may be a driver update that will resolve the issue.

What power supply do you have in your system? If applicable, are you connected to the video card with native matching connections from the power supply or are adapters used?

Are there any updates available from your motherboard manufacturer for your Motherboard BIOS or chipset drivers?

In the Windows Device Manager is anything listed with an X ? or ! beside it? What do you list in the Displays Adapters and Sound Video and Game Controllers section of the Device Manager?

Is this a recent development with the system? Have you ever been able to use the system without this issue? If so what hardware/software changes have happened in the system from when it worked properly to when it started having problems?

Was the video card preinstalled in the system or purchased separately and added to the system?

If you have upgraded the video card have any other components been upgraded or added in the system since it was purchased?

To assist you please send us the following reports from your system.
(Dxdiag report, Belarc Advisor system report, MSINFO32 Report)

Please create all the reports and attach them to this ticket."

After sending the correct info, they responded with:

"We will be releasing newer drivers that may solve the issue that you are getting. Make sure to remove older drivers first and disable background applications before installing (instructions below).

To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow these steps:

Make sure to disable any and all programs running in the background.To restart your computer by using a clean boot procedure, follow the link provided to do it for your OS:

>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796"

These measures had absolutely NO effect.

Personally, I don't think AMD will EVER get this setup working properly. From my experience, AMD will "just" get things working till 6xxx series cards are released.

At the moment, Cat 10.3 pre seems to run best at a steady 10fps across the board. Cat 10.3a pre was worse IMO. Hardly anything to write home about.

Being an early adopter has its pitfalls, BUT shouldnt this have worked "out of the box" BEFORE AMD "trumped up" Eyefinity? I'm aware AMD promised "crossfire support in Eyefinity with future updates" (ie 9.12 hotfix), BUT does going from 0fps to 10fps constitute support after 4 Cat releases?

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z : i7 2600K @ 4.6 : G Skill DDR3 12800 RipJaws 16Gb : 2 x Vertex 3 120Gb : 4 x Seagate Barracuda XT 2Tb : Galaxy GTX 480 Tri SLI : SilverStone Stider ST1500 : Corsair Obsidian 800D : 3 x Dell U2711 : Windows 7 Ultimate x64 : Koolance WC CPU/GPU

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 15:10 

I try to read every post and article I can lay my eyes on regarding eyefinity and I came across the answer to this issue just last week. I can't remember what the source was right now (I think it was either a post from Dave Baumann or it was in a techreport article). But the answer given was that the issue causing the performance problems with crossfire and eyefinity was a lack of bandwidth in the crossfire bridge connection. It was said to be only engineered to handle a maximum of 2560x1600 resolution, and when going over that (as would be the case with eyefinity) there are performance bottlenecks with cross-card communications because of this. I'll try to find again the post or article where I saw this.

Edit: I found it. Its on page 2 of this article:

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/18521/2

Here is the snippet I'm referring to:

"The core issue is the fact that the dedicated CrossFire interconnect
used for passing completed frames between cards has "only" enough bandwidth
to sustain a 2560x1600 display resolution. Even three 1080p displays will
exceed its capacity."

So the answer to the question: "5970 + 5970 + eyefinity: Will it ever work?" is probably something along the lines of: "Although it will be tweaked to work as well as possible by the good engineering folks at AMD, it will continue to suck until the crossfire bridge connection is re-engineered to support higher (eyefinity) resolutions."

Hopefully the bridge connector will be re-designed for the next generation of Radeon cards. Until that happens, this will continue to be AMD's "dirty little secret" regarding eyefinity.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 16:06 

Thanks for the heads up.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z : i7 2600K @ 4.6 : G Skill DDR3 12800 RipJaws 16Gb : 2 x Vertex 3 120Gb : 4 x Seagate Barracuda XT 2Tb : Galaxy GTX 480 Tri SLI : SilverStone Stider ST1500 : Corsair Obsidian 800D : 3 x Dell U2711 : Windows 7 Ultimate x64 : Koolance WC CPU/GPU

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 16:28 

When I first heard about user reports of crossfired 5970s + eyefinity performing extremely poor I became very worried. Then last week my hopes were completely smashed when I read about the crossfire bridge bandwidth limitation in the tech report article. That means that my fondest dreams of running a 5970 + 5970 + 5 x 30" monitor in portrait mode setup would definitely have no hope of working in this generation of Radeon cards. And furthermore, my current three 30" monitors may not even be viable because of this. The only hope right now is to avoid the crossfire connector by using a single 5970 card and to maximize its performance by using an as-yet-unreleased 4GB version that is overclocked as high as it can go (c'mon 1000 Mhz core!)