Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 14:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Eyefinity Wishlist
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2010, 15:05 

After playing around for about a day, I'm very impressed. I have found a couple features that would be nice to have. These may be present in the driver. I didn't see them.

I've tried to keep my wishlist to technical improvements. What would you put on your wishlist?

[list][*]5x1 P
[/*:m]
[*]Groups with different resolutions per monitor so long as they match along the group's interior edges. PLP and 1920 x different are likely the common cases. Using 3@ x1200 in the top of a 3x2 and 3@ x1080 in the bottom would get the crosshairs out of the bezel. Portrait mode should also support mixing 16:9 with 16:10.
[*]Bezel Calibration with a video running across the gap. I checked my calibration by watching movies fullscreen. It seems that having animation of some sort playing across the gaps would make calibration easier.
[*]Desktop Background management, so that each setup can have appropriate backgrounds. When my 3x1 P group is active, I want one background. When they're not grouped, I want something different as the aspect ratios are different. It seems like a nice "polish" feature.

It is outside the realm of what a driver normally does and might be best in a utility program. There are likely ways to do this with custom actions on switching profiles, but a dumb-user bundled solution would seem nice down the road as this goes more mainstream. Each group should have their own background of course (Win 7 fumbles this).[/*:m][/list:u]

Post subject: Re: Eyefinity Wishlist
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 03:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Lemme Elaborate on:

Groups with different resolutions per monitor so long as they match along the group's interior edges. PLP and 1920 x different are likely the common cases. Using 3@ x1200 in the top of a 3x2 and 3@ x1080 in the bottom would get the crosshairs out of the bezel. Portrait mode should also support mixing 16:9 with 16:10.

Basically if you can make it a Rectangle / Square, it'll work in eyefinity.

This would be useful for a whole host of configurations:
1600x1200 + 1920x1200 + 1600x1200
1200x1600 + 2560x1600 + 1200x1600
There are more, but I don't care to elaborate on this. Either way, Eyefinity has the potential to be flexible, this generation, it probably wont happen, but the next generation of cards should be.

Also, It should matter if it breaks the 8192 pixel barrier for DX9, there is DX11 out now, and some games can pass the limit even in DX9. Have the user deal with those incompatibilities. We don't need a guiding hand. (same argument goes with Bezel Compensation).