Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 09:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 23:56 

Hi All,

Relatively new to multi-monitoring so for those of you that haven't read my initial intro post:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19044

I recently hooked up my two TH2Go Digital Edition devices to the newly installed ATI Radeon HD5870 with the latest 10.3 Catalyst Control Center drivers. The TH2Go's each had the latest firmware update and PowerDesk software installed. Two Samsung SyncMaster 191T's were connected to each TH2Go in dualhead mode, which were connected to the two DVI ports on the HD5870 respectively. So four moniters in all, acting in two pairs seen as two large monitors in Windows at 2560x1024 each.

The system worked perfectly in duplicate and extended desktop mode. Each monitor can do 1280x1024 at 60Hz or 75Hz and so in PowerDesk, I can make 2560x1024@60Hz/75Hz.I then attempted to use the Eyefinity function to unify the two screens as one side-by-side (2x1) group. This is where I hit an unexpected problem. The Eyefinity software attempts to make the set, flickers a while, then when the desktop re-appears, you get duplicate mode at 2560x1024 for each display output.

In the properties options for each screen, under group resolutions, only two obviously too small options are available, which are unuseable anyway as they go out of range of the monitors. There is no (2560+2560)x1024=5120x1024 option available, so essentially group mode doesn't work.I tried again, this time reducing the available DualHead resolutions in PowerDesk to only the 1280x1024@60Hz (x2). Still no joy in Catalyst.

Further fiddling, and re-installing drivers etc acheived the same result but while doing so I discovered something even more surprising. The 1280x1024@60Hz (x3) option (i.e. TripleHead mode size of 3840x1024) giving a total Eyefinity group screen of 7680x1024, does work and renders the Windows desktop without problem! Obviously, since I only have 2 monitors per TH2Go I don't see the centre screen, only the left and right sides. If I did have 2 additional monitors to fill the 1280x1024 'holes' I'd see a 6x1 TH2Go/Eyefinity group working perfectly.

Searching around online the closest I could find to a possible answer was in this forum in the following thread:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17635&start=15

I thought this was the solution to my issues and carefully created a modified EDID file with the single 2560x1024 resolution to replace the TH2Go driver. The installation/reboot worked fine with Windows accepting the new driver and extending the desktop as before.

But... Eyefinity still felt this simply was not cricket and gave the same resolution options as before. By looking in MonInfo, I noticed that even though my 'driver' was correctly showing with a single screen resolution in the registry, the 'real-time' EDID from the Matrox was still showing the prior information with all the lower VESA resolutions. It appears to me that the ATI Catalyst was ignoring my custom EDID and using the live one from the device, hence no change.

Unless someone can help work out what I've missed or done wrong, I'll have to drop the second TH2Go and use one for for the traditional 3 screen layout, at least until I can upgrade to new hi-res widescreen monitors and then use Eyefinity alone, ideally in a (1920x3)x1200 layout.

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 15:33 

Well, I did some further testing... from my observations it seems that ATI's drivers don't appear to build a unique resolution from the available monitor specifications, as implied by the Eyefinity setup guide from ATI..

Instead, it seems the Eyefinity drivers may have a list of acceptable modes built in and if any of them match what is available on your setup, then it becomes available. If it happens to be outside of that, then it won't show up.

It's the only way it makes any sense that 3840x1024 (x2) = [7680x1024] across 2 TH2Go's is available, but 2560x1024 (x2) = [5120x1024] is not.

7680 is an exact multiple of 1920, whereas 5120 is not, and as 1920 is an accepted horizontal resolution, it is possible.

Time for new monitors and boxing up the TH2Go's :cry: