Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 May 2024, 11:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 21:31 

Think the peripheral distortion issue is one of optics, no? If one were to project straight onto a concave screen, the distortion would get rounded out, assuming the geometry of the surface was correct.

I believe the "problem" with this type of rendering is that the view then only looks correct from a sweet spot, and is motion-sickness inducing from any other.

Games that work best with trackIR render in this way, do they not? My knowledge of that segment of the market is nil so I apologize if I stated something obvious.

PostPosted: 10 May 2010, 21:59 

After a month you won't notice it.

+1

I have been playing BF2 for a while and people come over and the first thing they do is compain about the outer two monitors looking "warped." After a while though, it's no big deal. You spend 95% of the time looking at the center monitor on most games (not including RTS type games).

PostPosted: 17 May 2010, 21:21 

I love RTS games and I thought that RTS+ Eyefinity = heaven, till I tried to play a few....

The main problem here is the menus sit on 3 different monitors which can be a real problem for your neck.
#2 is the eyefish effect mentioned here, while it works perfect for FPS and racing games it can be a pain in the ass for
RTS games..

verdict? play RTS on one monitor :(

PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 10:41 

Sometimes when i play DOWII i suddenly realize that i'm focusing on the comlete left or right monitor!

I was bugged by the fisheye effect also in the beginning, but now i can't even notice it when i'm staring right at it!!! :D

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2015, 02:51 

Okay, okay, all of this peripheral vision talk is COMPLETELY off-topic everyone, so it's pretty sad this is the top result on Google for 'Fixing ATI Fisheye Lens'. A lot of people who are ignoring what the issue is in order to talk super smart about human vision and schtuff. :D I have no choice but to raise such an important thread back from the dead, so long as it exists, so long as there are still people suffering from my exact issue.

POINT: When I use a monitor in a game, I'm looking directly at it. That goes for all 3 monitors. I specifically got 3 monitors so I wouldn't get repetitive stress injury from looking in one direction too often.

Besides which, if my periphereal vision were all smeared and blurry (like if I had a serious concussion or a bad drug reaction), then the blurriness on monitors I am not looking directly at would already be created in my own brain.

I don't need my 300$ graphics card and 600$ bank of monitors to simulate tunnel vision. Same as I don't need all that to simulate motion blur. These things are things my brain can already do, in fact, my brain can apparently handle these things way better than the developers think I can, because I'm able (like most humans I think) to understand much more from peripheral vision and fast motion in familiar circumstances than ophthalmologists give us credit for.

So here's the thing; If I use three desktop mode arranged side by side, just as I have them in real life (although I curve them inward at about 35 degrees based on where I sit), and I'm playing a game that allows me to stretch the window to any size I wish, like Banished or Prison Architect, then I can use all three of my monitors perfectly fine with no distortion.

If I'm playing a game that does not allow me to stretch the window to any size I wish, such as Kerbal Space Program or Metro Last Light or Sid MEier's Civilization 5 or Iron Brigade or Age of Wonders III or .. (the list goes on for about an hour or so, I have a pretty big Steam library thanks to sales and bundles mostly) .. then you get the Fish Eye Effect, and you cannot play those games in EyeFinity mode without serious issues either immediately or down the line.

Locking your neck and eyes to stare directly forward at all times while you sit very close to your monitors is really bad for you in every conceivable fashion and will possibly lead to serious medical problems. If you have trained yourself to use EyeFinity in this way, then you need to lay off the Kool-Aid before you get a cyst in your stiff, atrophied neck or completely lose the ability to rotate your eyes.

So, how come we can't turn it off? Was that long project I launched last summer to get an EyeFinity display set up, that cost me upwards of 1,200$ altogether, doomed from the start because all of the ATI Cards I've tried adamantly refuse to actually render 5960x1080 pixels and that's why they smear that crap across your side monitors? What's going on here?

As I'm writing this, just my background for my desktop stretched across all three monitors is making me kind of ill. It's stretched.. wrong. I need to go back to triple monitor mode, and say goodbye to my dreams of having all my necessary monitors and instrumentation in Kerbal Space Program all visible to me at once and out of the way from the beautiful center monitor I can use to take inspiring screenshots for myself. :D

At least until they reprogram their game renderer to allow me to stretch the window on triple desktop mode, and assuming ATI doesn't decide to render such an image inappropriately regardless. I mean seriously if someone wanted to ever take a 5960x1080 screenshot why would they want the sides to be so ugly? What if they were going to crop it down to a landscape 1080p image? It would look all wrong. So why our games? WHY ATI?

If I could do it all over again, I would get an Intel system paired with an Nvidia graphics solution and see how that works out. Until ATI fixes this issue they have burned their bridges with me and anyone else I know who wants a multiple-monitor gaming solution.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2015, 16:48 
Editors
Editors

StromkoPenguin wrote:
Okay, okay,
Dude. No one talked here in 5 years. ATI is no more. Edge distortion has been explained. Time to lock this thread.
StromkoPenguin wrote:
Locking your neck and eyes to stare directly forward at all times while you sit very close to your monitors is really bad for you in every conceivable fashion and will possibly lead to serious medical problems.
So much for accusing others to "talk super smart about human vision and schtuff".

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2