Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 08:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad Company 2
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2010, 05:24 

hi all,
im new here
i hope you can answer maybe a simple question
ive got eyefinity working on my hd5870
2 dvi screens and one passive dp to vga connecter
all go to identicle 22" lg lcds
the windows side of things works well, it automatically set itself up and everything!
but how to get BC2 to go into wide screen?
i even set my FOV to about 120 to see, but no
im confused, i need some 3 screen action soon or im gonna explode!!
thanks to anyone in advance for a clue

Post subject: Re: Bad Company 2
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2010, 19:51 

Go into the video options and choose the new resolution.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2010, 01:33 

If you are not doing this already, start Eyefinity at your desktop first, then start the game.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2010, 02:24 

You need to setup an Eyefinity group first. This isn't done automatically.

There are plenty of guides here and guide videos at Youtube, if you don't know how to do this.

Then, choose the new resolutions in BFBC2. No need for adjusting the FOV, if you feel comfortable with the default one.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2010, 02:51 

thanks for some replies
my machine seemed to of configured a 3 x 1 group in the CCC under the display thingy tab, it says it is a group
i can drag an object from left monitor across the middle one to the right monitor
doesnt that mean i have eyefinity setup?
also in bc2 i dont get any wide screen resolution options like 5xxx by 1050 or whatever
just the 19xx or 1650 by 1050 options
i know my numbers are a bit fudged , unless i write it down i won be 100% correct
is there a typed guide on this forum for it or
which youtube one is actually the shiz to watch?
im playing fov120 at the mo and its spinning me out LOL very freaky

i learn!!
i had to configure the group to just 1 in the middle screen
i never had the full length task bar, that was a giveaway now that i look back
i un installed the drivers and put them back on with the latest catalyst 10.5 i think
some how my settings ini file is gone now
very confusing as i want to adjust the fov using that calculation formula
also during the game i crash to the desktop, which made me go back to one screen
gaming for the moment
i will have to lurk for the list of magic settings, and somehow make a new settings file
any suggestions i am open to them : ))

i also have to learn where the ini file is (documents !)
set fov to 55 is good
110 to weird
25 to spun out as well in distance when running

i set the game to medium , 4x and last two thingies off

hasnt crashed this time
but i am going to need some time to adjust my game play!! thats for sure
from what i gather though you dont need a powered adapter , mine was a $17 inc frieght dp to vga freighted from china
also if a cable comes out of a socket easily it will cause the display groups to reorganise with the displays left still plugged in!
(hint is to use the little tightening screws on the cables you dumbo)

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 13:26 

more fun on the bc2 eyefinity front
crashing to desktop can happen randomly
maybe during some intense graphics or just when respawning
i even went out and got a second hd5870 for crossfire but the problem is still there
the new patch today i thought might fix it, but still i get crashes maybe once every 60 minutes
kinda sucks as you cant re enter a game like bf2142 and carry on with your original scores
basically less crashes with lower res , x1 msaa and the other one, and low settings
this does look awful though and depressing, but i get a bit more of my bc2 fix for the night
i read something about a visual c ++ incompatibility with the ati drives and bc2
i update the 2005 and 2008 , basically everything lol but still got a crash
sometimes i get a few hours ok
with one screen i used to get full settings on everything with one graphics card and no crashes
eyefinity immediately caused crashes the day i figured out how to set it (thanks to guidance kind forum people here!)
crossfire doesnt help either, but i feel i didnt waste my money as you can run crossfire on one monitor (maybe a full hd 42")
ive yet to fully uninstall all the drivers and reinstall ati and the visual c ones
i just read elsewhere the 8.74 driver with dx9 is good , is it worth it?
im learning now about the windows 7 event viewer and the errors you can see on it
maybe i will get lucky
should i reinstall bc2 and get the update in one whack , is this the go?
absolutely any ideas will be helpfull as im not really a software head, but i can bumble along sometimes
:rockout

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 15:46 

I has similar problems, random crashes to desktop when in-game, usually when loading a new map.
I forced the DX version to 9, which is a bit sad as DX11 definitely looks better) but no more crashes.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2010, 16:54 

I crash from time to time in BC2 as well, but I've narrowed it down to one map in particular: White Pass. I've also narrowed it down to one thing that causes it to crash: If I press Tab (check score) very often, it'll crash in White Pass. I've tested this and it's repeatable. It's really a force of habit from Counter-strike that I press tab so often... so whenever I'm on that map I just suppress the urge to constantly press tab.

As for BC2 FOV, keep in mind it's the Vertical FOV which is why it's so 'low'. I think mine is around 55, not sure.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 07:35 

My buddy and I have been struggling with this damn CTD playing BC2 in EF. He had no problem with single monitor and then when I convinced him to join the EF club, that's when he experienced the same issue.
No drivers I tried would fix the issue. White Pass as mentioned before is famous for it to CTD, but other maps would do it as well. TAB key would cause it to CTD a lot sooner, but even just respawning would cause it to crap out as well.

Instead of forcing DX9 in the .ini file, my buddy did some testing and found that changing the "level of detail" and "Texture Quality" from High to Low has fixed the issue for our EF (5970 in mine, single 5870 in his system). All other settings can be set to high. He has tested his for 3 days straight with not one CTD. I have tried for a couple of days with some long game play and I can happily say the same. I started to test with MED on both settings today, so far I haven't had any issues yet, but I want more game play before I say it was a success.

It may suck ass on Low, but as my buddy says "rather have that than crash every so often". I agree, but if MED settings will work as well, I will be able to live with the issue a little bit easier.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2010, 16:46 

(5970 in mine, single 5870 in his system).

Same with me, single 5870, BC2 on high. My ctd's were completely random. I can go days without one and then the next it'll do it within 20 minutes of each other. Always different maps, not spamming certain keys, etc. Just totally random.

I was playing on high and switching to med seemed to fix it, but just couldn't be sure. Like I said, on high I could go days of playing without a problem. So I don't know if med fixed it or if I just haven't had another issue but one is around the corner.

I'm going to jump back to high, but change those settings to low that you mentioned.