Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 14:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 15:35 

I hope this hasn't been beat to death already, but has anyone had any luck with 5800 series eyefinity/crossfire stuttering. I tried using the 10.2 beta's last night and I am STILL getting really bad stuttering. I have yet to see an improvement to any game outside of Dirt 2. Please weigh in with your feedback.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 01:17 

5970 + 5870 tri-fi cfx eyefinity is lame crap, it's a stuttery, slugish slide show fest and thats putting it mildly. Sure hope ATI get crossfire/eyefinity sorted out soon or else I'll have to sell off the 5870 and just use the 5970 for eyefinity.........which is a pitty because at 5040x1050 the 5970 struggles with some games and that is why I want the 5870 to play nicely with the 5970 with crossfir eyefinity but it's not looking promising at all atm.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 02:31 

by the lack of any positive replies I will say that crossfire and eyefinity is rubbish when used together. With that said I did download cat. 10.3 rc/beta and my stuttering did go away when I used crossfire with eyefinity for the most part.. the thing is I cant seem to force v-sync with crossfire and eyefinity enabled, and tearing sucks too! (not as bad as stuttering) When using 1 card in eyefinity, I dont think I am forcing 60 fps but the tearing isnt as bad, I notice it a bit on the peripheral monitors.

Bezel management in 10.3 works awesome!!

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 03:04 

Stuttering? I don't recall having stutters to the point where it'd affect gameplay. Microstuttering? Yes, but not to the point where it'd affect gameplay either. I'm playing AvP in DX11 mode, Advanced Shadow + Tessellation on, Very High detail in EyeFinity mode @5760x1200.....pretty smooth with mild microstutter. I've already completed the CM part, so I'm now playing as a Predator and it's been problem free. :cheers

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 03:20 

I'm pretty stable right now with 10.2, but I haven't gone through a great number of games. Dirt2 and BFBC2 really good for me right now.

Tried setting AA and VSync through CCC instead of in-game? Motherboard isn't 16x/4x right? Cards getting full power? (ie...if you have 'dirty' power at home, you get less from a 850w ps).

Also if you have a game performing good and one bad, use MSI Afterburner and check the GPU usage. Bouncing around on the bad, stable on the good?

...just thinking aloud...can't think of anything else right now...

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 13:17 

hmm I havent really considered lo oking at my bios configuration. I know my mobo supports 2x 16x pci-e slots. I use the blue pci-e connectors but it goes like blue, black, pci, blue, black. I noticed other boards have both there primary slots right next to each other and the crossfire cables that came with my cards are not long enough to use, luckily my motherboard supplied me with 2 longer crossfire cables. But I will definatly look into that.. bfbc 2 seems to be working fine with cat 10.3 and crossfire.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 15:15 

hmm I havent really considered lo oking at my bios configuration. I know my mobo supports 2x 16x pci-e slots. I use the blue pci-e connectors but it goes like blue, black, pci, blue, black. I noticed other boards have both there primary slots right next to each other and the crossfire cables that came with my cards are not long enough to use, luckily my motherboard supplied me with 2 longer crossfire cables. But I will definatly look into that.. bfbc 2 seems to be working fine with cat 10.3 and crossfire.

I have the same issue with 2x5870s! The only solution is to sell the 5870s and get a single 5970.

The 5970 has NOT AT ALL stuttering as I have seen in my own eyes!

Vsync doesn't help at all. I believe this is something that drivers can't fix.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 16:04 

I'm pretty stable right now with 10.2, but I haven't gone through a great number of games. Dirt2 and BFBC2 really good for me right now.

Tried setting AA and VSync through CCC instead of in-game? Motherboard isn't 16x/4x right? Cards getting full power? (ie...if you have 'dirty' power at home, you get less from a 850w ps).

Also if you have a game performing good and one bad, use MSI Afterburner and check the GPU usage. Bouncing around on the bad, stable on the good?

...just thinking aloud...can't think of anything else right now...

Are you using multiple monitors with crossfire? If yes, Can you force v-sync when 3 monitors are in eyefinity mode? When single screen gaming I have no screen tearing or stuttering. But when I use eyefinity I get screen tearing and cant force 60 fps.

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 19:40 

Yes & yes. Using 3 Samsung 2494's. VSync set to Always On in CCC. The only thing I really know about VSync is that people usually turn it off, but somebody else suggested turning it on in CCC and it works fine for me.

Also, I get the water effect on the windshield now in Dirt2

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2010, 20:39 

Yes & yes. Using 3 Samsung 2494's. VSync set to Always On in CCC. The only thing I really know about VSync is that people usually turn it off, but somebody else suggested turning it on in CCC and it works fine for me.

Also, I get the water effect on the windshield now in Dirt2

hmm well v-sync bascially when working properly will keep your fps to 60 frames per second which in return will keep your picture quality nice and clean.. no tearing or stuttering ( not microstuttering)

some people say v-sync increases input lag and some people are sensitive to that. I always keep v-sync on because I hate screen tearing it drives me nuts. Unfortunatly for me forcing v-sync via CCC isnt doing a damn thing which it rarely worked for me anyway. I always used d3doverrider with the riva tuner download and it was a god send. D3doverrider isnt working when multiple monitors are enabled.... Maybe I am doing something wrong.