Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 11:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 18:51 

A couple months back, I got rid of a 25.5" x 3 Surround setup. Was not a fan of the fisheye effect and didn't see why the side monitors should be the same size as the center - and effectively larger, given the way you angle them - when the center is supposed to be the focus. Also didn't like being stuck with one monitor in all the games that don't work with the technology, especially since the Asus VW266H lacked the brightness and clarity of an IPS.

So I switched to a single 30" for gaming with two 22" in portrait for web. A couple weeks ago, I toyed with the idea of trying triple monitor gaming again, but this time with mismatched monitors and a LED TN Asus VE278Q, which is a much better monitor than any TN I've seen:

Happy to report that it works really well in FPS, which is what I primarily play in Eyefinity. Because the side monitors are smaller, the fisheye effect appears less obvious. And because the center monitor is larger, it is more natural to focus on it. I don't feel any loss of immersion from the side monitors being smaller. Instead, the sides now offer immersion instead of distraction.

Absence of bezel correction does not bother me in the least - and I was very bothered by its absence when I was using identically sized monitors with that feature turned off. Again, probably due to where my vision is focused.

Meanwhile, the 30" at the bottom is still great for non-compatible games.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2011, 22:17 
Insiders
Insiders

I have to disagree with you. I did this when i got bored. Colors mis-matched, and there was significant lag on the middle screen (think of move the cursor around on the wii). It was nasty imho.

5760x1080. 30" + 50" + 30"

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 05:26 

Well that level of mismatch is pretty extreme. Not exactly a valid comparison. And I'm having zero screen lag using real monitors. Color mismatch is minimal as well, as I can adjust settings on every monitor.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 08:05 
Insiders
Insiders

Well that level of mismatch is pretty extreme. Not exactly a valid comparison. And I'm having zero screen lag using real monitors. Color mismatch is minimal as well, as I can adjust settings on every monitor.

Well you may have a point so how's this.

1707fp's and 3007wfp-hc's

the miss match is very night and day. And it bothers in game play as well.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 13:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Bezels will always ruin the situation unless you spend 5-10x as much and get video wall displays. It's why I went projectors two years ago and haven't looked back. My 5x1P setup will continue to be LCDs until I can find a 1080p projector I trust permanently rotated into portrait mode though. Casio have some interesting hybrid light engine projectors but they're not 1080p yet.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 16:42 

[quote]Well that level of mismatch is pretty extreme. Not exactly a valid comparison. And I'm having zero screen lag using real monitors. Color mismatch is minimal as well, as I can adjust settings on every monitor.

Well you may have a point so how's this.

1707fp's and 3007wfp-hc's

the miss match is very night and day. And it bothers in game play as well.

Are you showing that what looks blue on one monitor is purple on another? Maybe you're just more sensitive to it than I am or unlucky with monitor combinations. Using contrast, brightness, color, and mode settings, I am able to get the colors pretty much the same on all three monitors, at least for gaming purposes. The LED panel is a little brighter than the side IPS panels, but nothing that bothers me; it could be solved completely by getting two more Asus LED panels of the 22" or 24" variety.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 17:23 
Insiders
Insiders

"Confirmed: mismatched Eyefinity looks better for FPS"

I will remind the OP to understand the difference between qualitative and quantitative statements. You "confirm" quantitative statements through facts, while qualitative statements are merely an expression of personal opinion. Not understanding that basic level of logic is what is wrong with a lot of people now a days.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 17:57 

"Confirmed: mismatched Eyefinity looks better for FPS"

I will remind the OP to understand the difference between qualitative and quantitative statements. You "confirm" quantitative statements through facts, while qualitative statements are merely an expression of personal opinion. Not understanding that basic level of logic is what is wrong with a lot of people now a days.

This coming from the guy who declaimed that "bezels will always ruin the situation?"

Anyone who can think can also see that I wrote the post and stated my opinions; I did not present it as a research paper from NASA. I don't need to add an "in my opinion" disclaimer to something that is obviously my opinion.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 18:08 
Insiders
Insiders

This coming from the guy who declaimed that "bezels will always ruin the situation?"

Anyone who can think can also see that I wrote the post and stated my opinions; I did not present it as a research paper from NASA. I don't need to add an "in my opinion" disclaimer to something that is obviously my opinion.

Cheap bait made in response to constructive criticism. I can tell we'll get along famously. :D

Anyways, my opinion is that it looks worse. :wink:

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2011, 22:27 
Insiders
Insiders

Haha, I'm giving extreme examples. Those are two completely different type of panels (TN and IPS).

In general, I find that have the same exact displays for each monitor is the best way.
I will even go ahead and say this is the opinion of the majority of surround users.

If I had one more 2007fp, I'd even put up a PLP setup to display my next point.

They are different ips panels (pva if you're unlucky) and the pixels are rotated 90 degrees of each other. The sides refresh from left to right and the middle top to bottom. And the side monitor are more blue then the middle.
This is distracting in a lot of ways mate.