Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 09:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2011, 21:53 

I am running:

• Windows 7 64-bit

• AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-core 2.2GHz

• 8GB RAM

• Also, PC has an onboard Radeon 3200 (Disabled)

with a Sapphire Radeon 5570 to three monitors:

• VGA to Gateway HD2201 (1680x1050)

• DVI to Acer S231HL (1920x1080)

• Sapphire Active DisplayPort Adapter 100924 to DVI to Acer S231HL (1920x1080)

My issue is with the third display. This typically will default at a 1280x1024 resolution with no option to go higher (I have tried both Windows Display>Screen Resolution and the AMD Vision Engine/Catalyst Control Center fully updated, each many times).

The only solution I have that works is to 1.) uninstall the drivers, 2.) restart, 3.) reinstall the drivers, and 4.) restart. This always works until the next time the computer sleeps/hibernates/restarts and the issue continues.

By searching this and other forums I can provide the following details:

• All monitors have their latest drivers, however the Gateway monitor is listed as a "Generic PnP Monitor"

• The 5570 drivers are up to date

• Windows 7 has the latest updates, etc.

• Different DVI cables have been swapped out and it is the same issue.

• Using the DisplayPort adapter with either Acer generates the same issue...

• Using the DisplayPort adapter with the Gateway generates the same issue (this display with a 1600x900 resolution cap)

• Forcing a resolution (My digital flat-panels in Vision Engine) shows my monitor as 1920x1080, HDTV Support>Checking "Add 1080p60 format (NTSC)">Apply -- this still does not allow me to choose any higher than 1280x1024.

• Unplugging/replugging used to work but no longer (like I said, full uninstall/reinstall graphics card drivers is the only solution for now).

The only thing I can think of is the Active DisplayPort Adapter is at fault, which I hope is not the case and there is a better solution.
If anyone has any ideas, suggestions or solutions, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Joseph

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 09:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Sounds like a faulty adapter. Try unplugging and replugging it. If it doesn't work then you prpbably need to buy an adapter.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 10:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Sometimes it can be a simple as a monitor that sends bad EDID information. You can force a custom display EDID inf as an update drivers on the display within the device manager. Sometimes that'll fix things.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 20:10 

suiken: I believe you are probably right, but I was hoping there was a cost-less solution. I also noticed from the newegg.com reviews of the Sapphire Active DisplayPort Adapter 100924, that it is known to crap out within 1 year of owning it (mine's about 6-8 months old) and is also not on the "AMD Eyefinity Validated Dongles" list.

BHawthorne: I'll give this a shot before I buy anything new. Is there an easy way to do this? I downloaded a few programs: PowerStrip and Phoenix I think, but didn't put any time figuring out how they work. Is this the correct path?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll post back when I solve the issue.

-J

Post subject: Okay, so I tried:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 23:27 

Okay, so I tried:

• http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/11731/solved-custom-eyefinity-group-resolutions?page=2

• http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/15182/ati-amd-custom-resolutions-non-edid-method

• http://morrisoft.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/morrisoft-ati-custom-resolution-tool/ (Told me I didn't have a Radeon card for some reason so it wouldn't work)

The first solution made my pc boot with the DisplayPort screen on its correct (1920x1080) resolution but the other two off, unplug/replug one and the issue from my OP resumes.

Looks like I'll be getting a new DisplayPort Active adapter. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the replies.

-J

---------------------

Edit: Wow, after reading around it seems like there are NO recommended Active DisplayPort to DVI Adapters. It seems like every single one is 50/50 bad reviews vs. "it works for me" posts.

Does anyone have an idea of something that should work for a 5570? It seems like the adapters that use USB for power is the way to go, but these things cost more than my 5570 did in the first place! All input is welcome.