Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 09:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 15:46 

First, the config:

• 2 x Sapphire reference 7970s

• 1 x MSI Lightning 7970 with 4 mini-DP ports

• 3 x Samsung S27A750D, connected by DP (so no adapters, just straight-through DP to DP from the MSI card)

• Umpteenth install of Win 7 pro

• Almost every 12.x series driver imaginable. Currently working with latest 9.00 beta drivers on a fresh install of Win 7.

The Problem
I've re-installed my OS roughly a half dozen times in the last few months as I experiment with various configs, and this one issue continually haunts me. When I first install Catalyst, I am able to create a 3x1 landscape Eyefinity group as normal. The issue I am regularly having is that at some point during my system build process, switching into Eyefinity no longer works. When I select "Create Eyefinity group" in CCC, it doesn't ask me for the primary monitor and skips straight to the layout. It then "creates" the group, meaning that it just switches to duplicate the display on all 3 monitors. Switching back to extended works fine. I've experienced this issue now across at least 4 builds of Win 7 and what has to be nearly a dozen different driver revs. Just for fun, here's what my driver install folder looks like today.

Some other factors:
Happens with Crossfire enabled for 3 GPUs, 2 GPUs, or disabled
When it's working, everything is awesome. No tearing, and HD3D+Eyefinity works too.
I can usually make it work again with ATI Uninstaller. Using the normal uninstall process + reinstall won't do it. Driver Sweeper won't do it. I don't like ATI Uninstaller as it's a little aggressive, and I have reason to believe it may be the source of other, unrelated issues I have been experiencing.
System is otherwise stable. I've underclocked both CPU and RAM, and the video cards are currently running at stock clocks and the temps on everything look fine.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 19:18 
Editors
Editors

It thought its normal for creating Eyefinity mode that Screens are going back to duplicated mode? at leas it did everytime i tried to create one.
i just pressed "Create eyefinity group" again.

But i havent used it in..... like 3 months ? I always save Eyefinity profile as a Preset and use that with Hotkeys to switch from Extended to Eyefinity.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2012, 20:59 

I've resolved the issue with help from another forum by going to extended, trying to create the eyefinity group and failing, going back to extended, create the eyefinity group again which now prompts me for my monitor, selecting the wrong monitor (eg, not my center monitor), then creating the 3x1 group and it works, after which I can change the primary monitor. This sequence of steps is the only solution I've found for switching back to eyefinity.

I've yet to once ever have the preset functionality work. If I go into extended, select Presets > Add Preset, give it a shortcut, icon, etc, then go into eyefinity and do the same, selecting the preset and clicking apply, launching the icon on the start menu, or use the hotkey - nothing at all happens. No settings have ever been changed or applied with this function across I don't know how many driver versions. I'd love it if this functionality would work.