Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Oct 2024, 23:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Screens boot wierd?
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012, 22:52 

I have three ASUS 23" monitors, hooked up in an Eyefinity setup on an XFX Double D HD 7870.

My left monitor is plugged into the lower DVI, my middle monitor in the upper DVI, and my right monitor into the left miniDP via an active miniDP->DVI adapter.

However, when booting my PC, my left and right monitors show the POST screen and the Windows 7 boot screen, but only the left shows the logon screen, and the middle doesn't show anything at all until I have logged on. I have two profiles set up through CCC, one with three separate desktops set to extend, each one at 1920x1080, and one with them as a single 5760x1080 DisplayGroup. I usually leave it in extend mode unless I'm gaming, and then I switch it to Eyefinity via a hotkey. If I reboot while having it set in Eyefinity, it will show the POST/boot screen on the same monitors as before, but the logon screen on the middle monitor, with some overhang. It looks like it may be about 2160x1080 or so. I can furbish screenshots/pictures if it would be easier to tell what I mean.

Can anyone explain why my middle monitor doesn't even turn on until I login to windows? And on a side note, has anyone had any luck getting the logon screen to span across an Eyefinity setup?

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2012, 23:12 
Editors
Editors

Jup, same here.

AFAIK UEFI only supports 2 Screens! and not even in Extended mode but in mirrored.

i didn't realy pay attention to which screen is active when ^^ but for the W7 loggin screen. When i have Bezel corrected 6048*1080 and get to logon screen, i see main screen, and Left/Right Screen is black except a 2cm blue Bar (from top to botton) so its Width Resolution divided by count of Monitors :) but they didn't expect bezel corection!

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 02:51 

This is exactly what i get except not bezel corrected. Also, they are mirrored, not extended. I forgot to say that earlier :P I'm interested mostly in trying to expand the boot/logon process onto all screens if that is possible at all. If it matters, my mobo is an MSI 990FXA-GD80, with ClickBIOS.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2012, 16:36 
Editors
Editors

Nearly impossible! The only way would be via BIOS update. But IIRC Bios doesnt have VGA drivers, well sure they do. But just verry minimal. So no Features you have on Windows will work.
Though i'm not sure how Bios/uefi communicates with the gpu, i assume there is some predefined 2D modus on every GPU that works when on power. And it works exactly same on all GPU's. Maybe?

So the only thing you could achive would be a TripleMonitor Window Login screen.

Post subject: Agree, this is almost
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 02:41 
Administrators
Administrators

Agree, this is almost impossible unfortunately. It used to drive me crazy when overclocking which is why I moved to Nvidia Surround.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2012, 06:21 

Agree, this is almost impossible unfortunately. It used to drive me crazy when overclocking which is why I moved to Nvidia Surround.

So does it work with Surround?

So the only thing you could achive would be a TripleMonitor Window Login screen.

So... any idea of how to accomplish that?

I've done my google'ing and come up short. I can deal with the booting funky, but logon would be cool in Eyefinity. :)

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 01:37 
Administrators
Administrators

[quote]Agree, this is almost impossible unfortunately. It used to drive me crazy when overclocking which is why I moved to Nvidia Surround.

So does it work with Surround?

On AMD Eyefinity, for me the BIOS would be duplicated on 2 displays which drove me crazy while overclocking, I would end up turning a monitor off. With Nvidia Surround, it is simply displayed on one monitor. Same for the Triplehead2go. No setup that I am aware of displays a BIOS across three screens.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 16:04 

I have three ASUS 23" monitors, hooked up in an Eyefinity setup on an XFX Double D HD 7870.

Can/have you connected two monitors to the two DVI ports and the third one to the HDMI port?

Moose

Post subject: Moose wrote:drinfernoo
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2012, 22:54 
Editors
Editors

[quote]I have three ASUS 23" monitors, hooked up in an Eyefinity setup on an XFX Double D HD 7870.

Can/have you connected two monitors to the two DVI ports and the third one to the HDMI port?

Moose

No, thats not supposed to work! Its a XFX and not a Sapphire Flex!

Post subject: Moose wrote:Can/have you
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2012, 07:09 

Moose

I don't feel like it... I haven't tried that a) because I'd have to get an HDMI cable or b) an HDMI -> DVI adapter which, yknow... too lazy.