Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 May 2024, 11:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2014, 21:15 

Hi guys,

Been lurking for a bit trying to search my topic. And while I have found bits and pieces of issues I have, I have not found anything on my specific issue.

I picked up some 120hz asus monitors with the intention of running them in eyefinity. I am loving the monitors but have run across some issues.

I currently have an MSI twin frozr 7950 that has two miniDP, one DVI-D, and one HDMI. (I actually have two, but one is in for rma. more on that in a bit).

I am using both miniDP and the one dvi. While I can not get 120hz refresh in game (wasn't expecting to initially and BF4 is game of choice) I have found that my dvi will not maintain the 120hz connectivity.

What happens - I can set the eyefinity array across all three monitors no problem. refresh will show 120 for all three in CCC. (not using afterburner; maybe I should?) Anyway, at some point during gameplay the game will crash and either go in to a reboot on its own, or I have to reboot. This does NOT happen all the time, but it happens enough that it's pissing me off.

When I reboot, the dvi connection will only read 60hz with no other refresh options. the two connected via miniDP ALWAYS show 120 no matter what. It's only the dvi. I then have to pull both of the miniDP cables from the card. reboot. NOW DVI shows 120 again. plug miniDP's back in and everything is good to go. I have done this many times now.

I should also note that this happens whether the card is overclocked or not.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Seems if I could find a card with three miniDP or even regular DP I would be good to go, but there doesn't seem to be any in existence. Even now some of the newest cards to date only have ONE DP. Why? If DP is the sh!t then why take a step back?

I was ready to fork out some loot for newer highend cards to maybe try and push that 120 realm, but even the r9 290 only has ONE DP... unreal...

I know I'm asking a bit much to get that 120, but I am actually more concerned now to just have a stable eyefinity array. I should mention that even at a 60hz refresh things will still crap out.

as far as the second card goes. I RMA'd that card as there was a problem with the HDMI port. initially I had plugged my monitors up using the miniDP and DVI as mentioned, but then I also used the HDMI to connect to a stereo to see how audio would be. In single mon gaming (no eyefinity) everything was fine. Then turned on the array, and... black screens across the board. WHAT just HAPPENED? the cards did not like that one bit. Unplugged the hdmi, rebooted, and everything was good again. Now I have an error in Device Manager for a High Definition audio bus problem. This actually made my xbox controller not work in BF (used for flying). If I unplug the card, that goes away. I moved this card to the second slot and everything works fine. The exclamation point still shows up in Device Manager, but does not effect the xbox controller anymore. If it's in slot #1, it does effect it.

The HDMI port does not work at all.

Had been having some intermittent issues so decided to RMA card. Looks like they will replace it, but seems like I'm going to need something a bit more beefy.

Thanks for reading, I know its a bit long and a lot to take in, but just wanted to see if anyone had any input to the DP versus DVI issue.

Could one of those DP hubs be my answer? 1 mon straight to miniDP to the card and 2 mon on the hub from the second miniDP?

Edit: Updated.
Other info:
AMD 8320 Vishera at 3.8
MSI MB 990 FXA-GD80 (has the 16x lanes separated by one of the 8x lanes, so that the CF cards are not next to each other.)
OCZ 240 ssd
2 - 1TB hdd Western Digitals
16 GB ram Ballistix (the ones with the pretty blue and orange lights)
Bitfenix recon fan controller only in manual mode (no software)
all air cooled in a Corsair 600t white case. (love this case!)

BF 4 plays absolutely awesome on one monitor! but I want it on THREE!!!

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 17:36 

So, the long and short is if my computer crashes or I have to do a soft reboot, the dvi connection drops to 60hz and only shows 60hz.

I then pull both miniDP connections. Reboot. DVI shows full range of refresh available including the 144. Plug in both miniDP, and everything can be set to 120hz again.

I have since bought an msi R9 280x from Microcenter and I have experienced the same kind of issue. I even went as far as doing a fresh install of Win 8.

Does this suggest that the MB could have an issue?

Thanks for any suggestions.