Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Sep 2024, 09:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 03:25 
Insiders
Insiders

Hey BHawthorne, can we see more pictures of you room running games? It's the coolest thing since Eyefinity around here.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 03:34 
Insiders
Insiders

Sure thing, I'll take a few pics the next few days. I've got a fisheye lens adapter being shipped that I plan on using with a webcam to take video with. I'll mount that over the center of the area and try and get full coverage of the game play.

I don't own that many games, so a lot of what I'll show will have to be either stuff I own, free-to-play or demos.

Games I have installed and I know work with the setup:
SecondLife (maximized window mode only)
Alganon
Rise of Flight Demo
HAWX Demo
Eve Online
Dark Age of Camelot
Entropia Universe
Orbiter (OLGA beta client)

Video players that work:
VLC (OpenGL mode)
Zoom Player (VMR9 renderless mode)

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 03:37 
Insiders
Insiders

Sure thing, I'll take a few pics the next few days. I've got a fisheye lens adapter being shipped that I plan on using with a webcam to take video with. I'll mount that over the center of the area and try and get full coverage of the game play.

I don't own that many games, so a lot of what I'll show will have to be either stuff I own or demos.
Awesome, thanks.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2009, 07:23 

I'm putting together a similar 3 projector setup and have just finished my back of the napkin calculations for screen size, etc. Here are some considerations when optimizing megapixels and aspect ratio:

1. Your calcs should all originate with the native resolution of the 3 projectors. (i.e. BHawthorne has 3 XGA projectors for a total of 3072x768 or 2.36 MegaPixels.)

2. If using sol7 edge blending,you need to take into account the pixel overlap region. (http://immersaview.com/overlap.html) i.e. using sol7's 12.5% overlap metric with 3 XGA projectors, it will reduce the resolution region to 2816x768 or 2.16 MegaPixels.

3. Take the calculated aspect ratio from the overlapped resolution (3.67:1) and apply this ratio to your desired screen height or desired screen width.
Solving for Height Example: You want a 6 foot high screen, then you will need to go 22 feet wide (6*3.67)
Solving for Width Example: You have a 15 feet long room, so you will need to go 4.1 feet high (15/3.67)

Excel spreadsheet if anyone's interested: https://ispace.utmb.edu/xythoswfs/webview/_xy-244646_1

One last thought in terms of megapixels, if you used 2 1080p projectors they would yield 3600x1080 after correcting for overlap, which is 3.80 megapixels and an aspect ratio of (3.33:1). These calcs are making me think about purchasing two 1080P projectors which down the road I could eventually get a third after switching to eyefinity.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2009, 18:10 
Insiders
Insiders

using sol7's 12.5% overlap metric with 3 XGA projectors, it will reduce the resolution region to 2816x768 or 2.16 MegaPixels.

Abstract vs real world, I think 12.5% is too high an overlap. I really suggest a minimal overlap. Only enough to allow for no pixel gaps otherwise your desktop is totally disfunctional.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2009, 18:32 

good point as I think you are the only one who is living in the non-abstract 3 projector setup world at the moment! glad to hear minimal overlap is working well.

have you figured out any way to get the geometric correction to work for the desktop?

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2009, 01:01 
Insiders
Insiders

good point as I think you are the only one who is living in the non-abstract 3 projector setup world at the moment! glad to hear minimal overlap is working well.

have you figured out any way to get the geometric correction to work for the desktop?

No, but I've pondered using something like vnc in local host mode. The vnc renderer would have to be within a DirectX or OpenGL rendering mode though. Anyone know of a vnc that uses OpenGL or DirectX in a full screen mode? I wonder how hard it would be for someone to just whip up a non-network version of VNC that just renders in full screen mode using OpenGL or DirectX 9?

I did find a trick to at least fix the desktop wallpaper. Sure, that's no where near the same thing, but at least it looks cleaner. I take a desktop picture I want to use and load it in vlc. I then screen cap the picture with it being corrected in full screen mode. I paste it into whatever photo app (photoshop, ms paint, gimp, etc...) save it and then apply it as my desktop. That makes for a visually correct background picture at least.

Although my projectors are 1024x768 native, the scaler in them can go a lot higher. Depending on how good the scaler in your projectors are, I suggest using them in non-native larger resolutions as needed if the game user interface or desktop window size requires it. I run mine almost always at 3840x1024 and would just as soon have them always at 5040x1050. I'm working with ImmersaView on a few minor issues with that.

I recently exchanged some email with ImmersaView on Sol7 b11 compatability issues with resolutions over 3840x1024. They're now aware of some issues I brought to thier attention on higher resolution TH2G Digital compatability issues. They also have stated they now have a EyeFinity test rig setup to use for compatibility testing.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 06:37 

Great news that sol7 is working on the eyefinity front as well! As for the desktop rendering issue you may be able to run a virtual machine in full-screen mode - there's gotta be a vm client that takes advantage of directx/opengl. although when i do some searches its only showing results related to directx and opengl 'inside' the vm and not necessarily related to the vm client...

oh, and what about some of these fancy 3d desktops, like http://www.spheresite.com ?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 19:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Great news that sol7 is working on the eyefinity front as well!

No idea about EyeFinity and Sol7 compatibility yet. I just know ImmersaView has testing hardware now. I'm still holding off till the 6 port card for myself. They also mentioned a new beta build. No idea when it'll be released though. b11 works pretty good for me but has a few issues that hopefully b12 will fix.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 23:06 

How much did you pay for your sol7 software? I was told that the cost was 4000 per projector. I was told hat there was a beta version of a consumer release but that it didn't have any edge blending capability. Can you still buy the flight sim version?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 21  Next