Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 19:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 11:07 
Editors
Editors

Erm, this thread is about nvidia drivers anyway, not Ati :?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 02:26 

Just an update, I've solved my issues w/ the newer drivers for the most part. Something is messed up (at least in my experience) with Nvidia's custom resolution options on the 177 series drivers.

Here's what I did to fix if anyone cares:

Went back to the 175.19 drivers (the latest official set) that works with the new TH2G. Noticed that the PowerDesk app is actually writing 6 custom resolutions to the driver, visible in the Nvidia control panel. There are all 3 resolutions, each in 16 & 32bit color modes for a total of 6 custom modes. I clicked on the edit button for each resolution, and expanded the advanced tab. Now the advanced settings aren't selectable by default since the option for "auto" is set. I took a screen cap of each resolution and all of its settings as configured by the Powerdesk software, or defaulted by the nvidia panel, which ever.

Next, I installed the newer, better performing (for me) 177.79's. Of course no custom resolutions (new TH2G modes) after running and/or reinstalling. Going in to the custom resolution option in the 177.79 nvidia panel, I attempted to just recreate the new modes that GXM software had set up on the old drivers. I set the basics to 5040 x 1050, 32bit, 57Hz, but they just would not work. However, I noticed under the advanced settings that the "auto" choices were still populating w/ data for a 3840x800 resolution (visible pixels, etc).

Evidently, the custom resolution setting on the new drivers does not automatically set the advanced options as in previous versions.

Okay, easy enough, I'll just go and add the advanced settings manually. I tried, and got everything to match my earlier screenshots, except for two fields that aren't changeable by the user: Horizontal scan rate, and Pixel clock. The values that were in these fields were way off from the screen caps. Sure enough, the custom resolutions still would not work.

Now I don't know if there's a workaround for editing Hor scan or Pixel clock, but I couldn't find one. So, I figured out that by changing the "Timing standard" drop down bar to the last mode, CVT Reduced Blank, it changed those two paramaters to values much closer to my original screenshots. Then switched back to manual to correct all the other fields as in my screen grabs (the hoz scan & pixel clock remained at the CVT drop-down settings).

Bingo. Mode accepted. Then it was just a matter of changing the resolution slider to my new settings (not using the gxm) and a reboot or two to get the resolution to be selectable in games. Now it works just as well as any other TH2G mode, and I get the advantages of the new driver.

Some notes though: Since the new mode won't be selectable in the GXM on the new drivers.... Setup the 1680x1050x3 mode with the older drivers first, so you can set the bezel management options. Once you have your bezel management correct at 5040, hotkey assigned and everything, and install the new drivers, the TH2G will recall the correct bezel settings with your hotkey, even though you can't adjust it in the GXM anymore (for that rez only, your other selectable resolutions still work normally). Also, I did not try the other modes and color depths since 5040x1050x32 was the only new mode I was interested in, but I see no reason why the others wouldn't work the same.

Try it at your own risk, but it worked perfect for me and is completely reversible by uninstalling the nvidia drivers. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2008, 00:26 
Founder
Founder

Can you try reversing it and trying this:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=136647#136647

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2008, 02:26 

[quote]Can you try reversing it and trying this:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/9225#comment-172949]

On my own last week, I had already tried that- and with the newer nvidia drivers, it was still not working even with the GXM .inf. So that should answer your question. It is still reading the correct monitor ID too.

However, it may have assisted in getting the new modes to show up under the older drivers, I can't be sure at this point. I do remember vista64 SP1 slamming down some driver signing issues on me and refusing to load the .inf unless the nvidia drivers were uninstalled.

I just updated to the official 177.83 release today, nervously, and my manually added custom rez was still available, but not listed in the GXM, same as before.

I mean, if you need some help with something, I can test it out for you to make sure. Now that I have it all working, I'd hate to break it back down just in the name of finding a more efficient path.

Like I was saying, I really believe it's an issue w/ the newer nvidia drivers and the custom resolution options not functioning properly.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2008, 03:20 
Founder
Founder

No problem. It does appear you may be having a unique issue. So, I'll leave this thread open. What version of Windows are you using?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2008, 09:43 

I was running 177.83 version of Nvidia drivers as well and the new modes would not show up. Reverting to the 175 drivers fixed the issue. I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit on a Nvidia 8800 GTS card. Hope this helps someone!