Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 19:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 02:11 
Insiders
Insiders

As you have said for gaming go triple wide if you can.

However I have had both 3x19" and 3x24" and for non gaming 3x24" is not ideal. You really have to move your head and shoulders around to use the side screens, it is just not as comfortable as 3x19. However having 3x1680x1050 makes it worthwhile for work space.

Obviously 2x22" it wouldn't be as bad cos the monitors aren't so physically wide as my 24". If you intend to do a lot of non gaming and DON'T have a curved edge table (if the table curves around you, like mine does a bit, it allows easier usage of the bigger screens. I use my centre and left monitor most 'cos my table only curves on my left side) maybe the 3x19" would be better. But I would not want to go back to 3x1280x1024 so I would go for 3x19"/20" that are 1680x1050 res. Other guys on the forum have AFAIK.

Just IMHO of course ;)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 12:22 

@Mach1.9pants.

Thanks for the curved table tip. Luckily I have one.

for non gaming 3x24" is not ideal. You really have to move your head and shoulders around to use the side screens, it is just not as comfortable as 3x19. However having 3x1680x1050 makes it worthwhile for work space. ....

I would not want to go back to 3x1280x1024 so I would go for 3x19"/20" that are 1680x1050 res.

Wow. So, for non gaming uses, at a given monitor size (of 3x19"/20"), widescreen is clearly superior to standard (In your humble opinion). Why is that? Simply more room, something about the look?

The WSGF is certainly making it difficult for me to go with the standard aspect ratio :)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 19:52 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah the extra work space is great, depending on what you are working on. But now to me 1280x1024 seems cramped, I have 2 on my other PC.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 04:31 

You asked me about non gaming use with my three wide screens. I have found myself doing research alot on different subjects, only half of which I retain, (its a personal issue there of course :oops: ). I suppose in this area the 3 screens are great but being widescreen is not essential.

One thing to consider though. Just recently we had one of the wifes 19" 1280x1024 monitors take a dump. It was under warranty, but could not be fixed. Our warranty also covered replacement with new. Being confined to what was in stock at the retailer, we had no choice of ANY 19" 1280x1024. We had to go with a 22" widescreen. Luckily the retailer was willing to let us go to 22" and her set-up can handle different resolutions and functions well.
1280x1024 resolutions seem to be giving way to widescreen resolutions and may present a problem for you in the future. Just a thought.

This warranty issue got to be a real pain in bu**. But our retailer helped to make things right. My wifes 19"x 22" x 22" is not ideal. But for now it will work and we hope soon to get her up 3 x 22".

Sorry for the short story, but I feel it is something to consider.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 05:26 
Insiders
Insiders

That is a very good point. I am in the IT business and we can get hold of 1280x1024 screens but it is hard, requires searching and they cost more than a 22" wide. Hardly any one imports them to NZ any more
A bit of a problem if one of your screen dies

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 16:12 

@JKeefe.
[quote]With a second video card, dual-input monitors, and Ultramon, I have a productive 2D workspace

Do you use TH2Go at all? If so do you switch between using TH2Go and the above native setup?Oh, absolutely. I do all my gaming with the TripleHead2Go, and switch my side monitors to their second inputs when I return to the desktop.

@bsoder. Thanks for the tips on angling. Ergodex DX1 looks cool.
A more functional version of the Ergodex DX1 (more powerful programming capabilities as well as the ability to use more than 1 unit) is the CH Products MFP (Multi-Function Panel). Same hardware, different firmware, much better (but more complicated) programming software.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2008, 03:58 

[quote]@JKeefe.
[quote]With a second video card, dual-input monitors, and Ultramon, I have a productive 2D workspace

Do you use TH2Go at all? If so do you switch between using TH2Go and the above native setup?
Oh, absolutely. I do all my gaming with the TripleHead2Go, and switch my side monitors to their second inputs when I return to the desktop.

Wow. This information gives me pause on the advice I have been getting to simply go with a (powerful) single card. What does the native setup give you that you can't achieve with TH2Go? Could you use Ultramon with TH2Go?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2008, 05:20 

[quote][quote]@JKeefe.

Do you use TH2Go at all? If so do you switch between using TH2Go and the above native setup?
Oh, absolutely. I do all my gaming with the TripleHead2Go, and switch my side monitors to their second inputs when I return to the desktop.

Wow. This information gives me pause on the advice I have been getting to simply go with a (powerful) single card. What does the native setup give you that you can't achieve with TH2Go? Could you use Ultramon with TH2Go?

I have a
3x 20" 4:3 setup(1600x1200) and just switch to a 3x24" widescreen. 1920x1200 this is my 3rd day with it.

here's my opinion:
- productitiy wise.. I think going to 24" wide is about the same or less productive. because I tend to turn/move my head more to see other screen.
at the current pixel count of 3x monitors 24" is not much more useful than 20"

- for games and multimedia/movies 24" widescreen is nicer though

- 2 or 3 monitor + extra video card + UltraMon software is MUCH better than Th2go for non game use. because it's cheaper. extra budget videocards can be had for $30. UltraMon have MUCH MUCH MUCH BETTER multimonitor managment and features than the th2g powerdesk. I have been using dual monitor for 3 years and I won't give up Ultramon for anything.

- I switch to single screen 4320x900 or 5040x1050 for gaming only. the rest of the time I switch to triple display mode 1920x1200 via dual videocard and use Ultra Mon to manage my multi monitor.

That being said while Th2go works as advetised, it's only a gaming device since there are cheaper and more productive alternatives.

But then again Th2G gaming is .... once u experienced it.. you will be spoiled for ever and never want to go back.

For work I would much perfer 3x 4:3 monitors. I wouldn't have got 24" if I wasn't a gamer looking for the next thrill. it is too bad that they do'nt really make 4:3 screen anymore.

Hope this helps someone in making their decision

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2008, 14:25 

Hope this helps someone in making their decision

Your comprehensive post has certainly helped me. Thanks.

I switch to single screen 4320x900 or 5040x1050 for gaming only. the rest of the time I switch to triple display mode 1920x1200 via dual videocard and use Ultra Mon to manage my multi monitor.

I presume this "switching" is a simple affair. That is, via a hot key or something.

If so, I imagine your set up is as follows.
1. Primary Card Head 1 -> TripleHeadToGo -> 3 monitors
2. Primary Card Head 2 -> spare port on monitor 1
3. Secondary Card Head 1 -> spare port on monitor 2
4. Secondary Card Head 2 - > spare port on monitor 3.

Is that right? Do monitors generally come with the 2 inputs needed for this?

If so could we also throw crossfire or SLI into the mix. Eg Use the two cards in SLI when using Th2Go, switch, turning SLI off in the process, to use the two cards independently. Is that kind of solution possible, usual, or desirable?

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2008, 16:58 

[quote]I switch to single screen 4320x900 or 5040x1050 for gaming only. the rest of the time I switch to triple display mode 1920x1200 via dual videocard and use Ultra Mon to manage my multi monitor.

I presume this "switching" is a simple affair. That is, via a hot key or something.

If so, I imagine your set up is as follows.
1. Primary Card Head 1 -> TripleHeadToGo -> 3 monitors
2. Primary Card Head 2 -> spare port on monitor 1
3. Secondary Card Head 1 -> spare port on monitor 2
4. Secondary Card Head 2 - > spare port on monitor 3.

Is that right? Do monitors generally come with the 2 inputs needed for this?John,

Pertaining to my setup discussed further up in the post, the is pretty much how I have things connected. The only change is line #2 (Primary Card Head 2 -> spare port on monitor 1); this is not necessary because you can have the TripleHead2Go disaply a single-screen resolution.

Monitors these days usually have at least two inputs, although to do this with the best quality for LCDs requires monitors with dual DVI inputs; these are rare. The input switch on my CRT monitors is a physical slider switch. On LCDs is it usually a momentary pushbutton.

Setting the desktop up like this offers the productivity of a true multi-monitor 2D workspace, with a fully functional Ultramon including the smart taskbar and independent wallpapers, and also allows the benefits the TripleHead2Go provides for gaming I already had dual-input monitors when I went this route, so my only cost was ~$40 for a cheap GPU.

If so could we also throw crossfire or SLI into the mix. Eg Use the two cards in SLI when using Th2Go, switch, turning SLI off in the process, to use the two cards independently. Is that kind of solution possible, usual, or desirable?
Someone who is more educated on SLI will have to answer, but I believe a reboot is still required to either turn SLI of or ON (I can't remember which).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next