Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 21:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: BHawthorne wrote:1. Each
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 21:46 

1. Each projector is covering approximately 100 degrees of projection (including the edge blend area)

2. Optoma GT720

3. The aspect ratio of the projection dictates it. Standard landscape orientation on the projectors.

4. 2560x800 native

My example is the extreme limit I'd run 1280x800 projctors at. 72" screen height things begin to get pixelated. 60" is a lot tighter pixel, but is a trade off in immersive screen size.

Thanks.

1. Would you recommend using 1080p Projectors for 6ft height?

2. If so, how does the BenQ W6000 sound?

3. How far back are you throwing, for the 1280x800 at 72" height?

4. What's wrong with the Optoma 750 (newer version)? It also supports 3D!

Thanks,
Reuben

Post subject: Oops, I missed the last
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 23:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Oops, I missed the last question.

Is there anything wrong with the GT750? No, but it's an unknown to me. I'm not going to recommend hardware I have no practical experience with. The Optoma Gt700 and GT720 all support S3D. This is not new to the GT750. The GT750 only adds SBS mode. There is another user on the forum that just picked up the GT750's for his setup. It would be best to get input from him on GT750 specifics. I'm only familiar with the GT700 and GT720.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2012, 23:25 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]1. Each projector is covering approximately 100 degrees of projection (including the edge blend area)

2. Optoma GT720

3. The aspect ratio of the projection dictates it. Standard landscape orientation on the projectors.

4. 2560x800 native

My example is the extreme limit I'd run 1280x800 projctors at. 72" screen height things begin to get pixelated. 60" is a lot tighter pixel, but is a trade off in immersive screen size.

Thanks.

1. Would you recommend using 1080p Projectors for 6ft height?

2. If so, how does the BenQ W6000 sound?

3. How far back are you throwing, for the 1280x800 at 72" height?

4. What's wrong with the Optoma 750 (newer version)? It also supports 3D!

Thanks,
Reuben

There are no ultra short throw 1080p. Be mindful that the further back you have to mount the projectors the deeper the room must be and also more likely that you would be sitting within the projection obscuring it. To illustrate the issue, a typical 1080p might need 25 foot of lens throw to do the same thing a 720p short throw can at 10 foot. Ultra short throw projectors are the innovation that enabled these screen builds. Without them, the setups would be very difficult to achieve without standing or sitting within the projected area. Ultra short throw mounts the projectors over you, not behind you.

No idea on the BenQ W6000. Haven't seen the specs yet.

To further elaborate on my first part of the message, In circular screens like this it's best to use ultra short throws. 0.72 to 0:49 range. Those are only available in 720p 1280x800 projectors though. I'd love to see a 1080p within that lens throw range. Problem is the manufacturers haven't produced one yet as a consumer product. Typically, my projectors are mounted 8-11 foot from the deepest centerpoint of the screen.

Post subject: Thanks for the
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 17:55 

Thanks for the information.

We need to create a sticky that talks about 2 vs 3 projectors, FOV, throw distance, resolution, etc. I'm sure there are many people like me (even others in this same thread) that are confused and curious, and can't get into the game because to pay for 3x1080p projectors and PC hardware is an expensive guess to make when you don't know what you're going to get.

I can help create that once I start doing my own build. I kind of want to see someone do an Optoma 750 build though. I have the Optoma HD33 and it's a marvelous PJ for 3D. I really wonder how and if that 3D would work with a PC, and what games would be supported.

I even started looking into motion seating that creates G forces, but most of those chairs are 7-12K in cost! A normal chair and force feedback wheel is good enough for now, LOL.

Thanks,
ELmO

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 09:13 
Insiders
Insiders

How-to FAQs are something I've meant to do for awhile now on the NTHUSIM wiki site. They implemented wiki just for that purpose there. My plan is to do a few FAQs (probably one a month) and to keep them updated on that site. At issue is I need someone with a new user perspective to give a list of the relevant questions that you have. After doing this stuff so long I take for granted a lot of the minute details that are not readily apparent to most people.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 11:11 

Thanks for the information.

I even started looking into motion seating that creates G forces, but most of those chairs are 7-12K in cost! A normal chair and force feedback wheel is good enough for now, LOL.

Thanks,
ELmO

This one is $1800 and has had good reviews that I have seen.

http://ultraforcesim.com/

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 13:52 
Insiders
Insiders

My only experience is with D-Box actuator chairs. We used the Virtual-GT setup for two AMD events, a D-Box movie seat for CES and two prototype D-Box seats for later AMD events. So far I've been most impressed with the D-Box hardware. It's not a casual price point though. It's top of the line with a premium. I always saw it as a mismatch with what I've been attempting to do with hobby level multi-projection and lowering the bar so about anyone could use it though.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 15:20 

Yes, I was speaking about d-box. I want one badly. I heard you can get them "cheaper" if you can find someone who is selling used.

The problem with that ultrasim chair is what if you're fat? Or too thin? How will it create the right pressure points?

Good shot for the price....

Post subject: I still think this 2
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 13:16 
Insiders
Insiders

I still think this 2 projector thing is genius! Tell me, what does eyefinity look like with 2 screens instead of 3? Do you have any photos of something in action? Perhaps a pic of a game like a driving game, with the view from 2 screens instead of 3 (or even instead of 1). Or a video?

Post subject: Also, what's your throw
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 16:28 

Also, what's your throw distance for the 2 projectors and the projected image size?

Just trying to get the sense of the amount of room we need to do this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next