Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 04:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 23:00 

I currently have 1 TH2G Digital, 1 TH2G analog, and 2 DH2G Digital. I sell all of those and I probably have my 6-port card with some nice extra cash towards one of the projectors.

Do they all run nicely together?

I'm currently running 3 x 19" and 1 x 24" but would like to still use those screens with an additional 3 x 24" for my pit setup but I also have 3 x 10" screens that would do great as small instrument panels.

Just looking into the options and an additional TH2Go or DH2Go may do it - may also be a secondary card, especially if they won't do the wide resolutions on the 5000 series cards.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 23:08 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]I currently have 1 TH2G Digital, 1 TH2G analog, and 2 DH2G Digital. I sell all of those and I probably have my 6-port card with some nice extra cash towards one of the projectors.

Do they all run nicely together?

I'm currently running 3 x 19" and 1 x 24" but would like to still use those screens with an additional 3 x 24" for my pit setup but I also have 3 x 10" screens that would do great as small instrument panels.

Just looking into the options and an additional TH2Go or DH2Go may do it - may also be a secondary card, especially if they won't do the wide resolutions on the 5000 series cards.

Matrox took into account detection and use of multiple GXM boxes with PowerDesk, so that's no issue. They work fine in any combination as separate spans of screens.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 23:27 

Cheers, good to know. :D

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 06:46 
Insiders
Insiders

There seems to be some method to the madness for painting screens so they have the right gain. I'm curious what a 10x10 room with a full circular screen 8 foot tall will need as far as paint for 5 Optoma EX525ST projectors. I suppose I could use one of those projector calculators to figure the gain I should use for paint and then have some mixed up. My curiosity is does the curvature of the screen effect the gain and for that matter projecting in a full circle?

All this screen tech is new to me. I've just been lazy and projected on a regular painted wall for the last few years.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 20:16 
Insiders
Insiders

I just got my first 2 Optoma EX525STs unboxed. I also purchased my 3rd EX525ST today for $855 (with 5% Bing cash back). So, I'm about 5 days away from wall size circular triple-head projecter...(yea!) :D

Here are unboxing pics:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 08:33 

heh
that be really great to follow ;)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2009, 12:41 
Editors
Editors

Definitely keeping an eye on this, even though there is nowhere I'd be able to do something similar... ;)

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2009, 22:16 
Insiders
Insiders

A small work log update on this...

Projector #3 arrives Thursday. Today I purchased 3 projector mounts and 3 15ft DVI cables for the room.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10209&cs_id=1020902&p_id=2760&seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082803&p_id=3874&seq=1&format=2

Here is the 13x13 foot area that I need to frame, sheetrock and finish this week:

The plan for the room is to make it a 13x13 foot square room. The air ducting is a minor annoyance, but the room isn't used for anything else except storage, so it's otherwise ideal.

I'm going to set it up with 2 different screen setups. The initial screen will be a full wall screen that is 12x7 foot 2.39:1 aspect ratio for watching movies in full anamophic format. A lot of Blu-ray content is 1920x800, so that'll work perfectly. The second screen will be the 180 degree half-circle. I'm planning on bending some L metal extrusion into the curve and mounting it on both the ceiling and the floor, then velcroing the screen to it so it can be put up and removed as needed. Also adding in 2 extra projector mounts because the projection offsets are different for the side projectors on the circular projection than on the wall projection. That'll give me the capability of both 180 degree circular projection and also traditional 2.39:1 theater projection in the same room.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 07:51 
Insiders
Insiders

I finally got the projector mounts and 15 foot DVI cables from monoprice. I also purchased a 12x7 foot of projection screen material that should arrive later this week. It should be interesting building a screen frame that large.

I spent most of the weekend framing and putting up the walls and ceiling. Here are a few pics of the progress. Nothing that wonderful to show, but it's progress. :wink:

Primering the front wall after it's been framed and panels are up.

A bit more progress. A majority of the ceiling is up now.

Here is a pic showing the 2-projector front screen configuration. This'll be the configuration for watching HDTV and movies. The circular screen setup will be added in after I get the 2 screen setup working and the projector mounts located and wired. The 180 degree circular screen will use all 3 of my projectors and will be a removable screen that I can velcro up as needed and remove when I want to watch TV or movies on the back wall 2-projector screen setup. That'll allow the room to have 2 configurations.

I'm running into a few minor configuration issues with Sol7. Apparently, it only currently likes 32-bit versions of Windows. That's not a major issue. It just means having less memory available for gaming (for now). I'm going to go ahead and test it using XP, Vista and Windows 7 32-bit versions to see how they work with Sol7. Everything seems to be ok with it other than that slight hiccup. The configuration and setup all works fine, but with it being a 64-bit OS, I think DirectX 64-bit doesn't see the 32-bit Sol7 DirectX tie-ins. The screen blending within the configuration window works perfectly though, so it just means going 32-bit for now.

One thing I found out about the EX525ST projectors is the scaler in them works quite well. I'm just as happy with using 1600x1200 on the projector as the 1024x768 native. It's a rather clean downscale. I've been running desktop and in games at 3200x1200, which gives a lot more room for interface windows than 2048x768 native does.

I'm anxious to get the room in a more permanently functional state this week so I can start using it and working out the bugs. As you can tell above, for now I've just been projecting onto the primered wall until I get the 2.39:1 back wall screen built. It seems to be working well enough to get rough numbers on where the ceiling projector mounts need to be. It should actually be decent looking in about 2 weeks (I hope). :lol:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 17:34 
Editors
Editors

This is soo incredible cool! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 21  Next